DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:34:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Encyclopedia (Read 6848 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 23, 2008, 10:21:59 PM »
I'm ready to begin vaguely explaining how the Encyclopedia is going to be implemented. I you'd like to help us fill it in, you should volunteer to do so in this thread. It's going to take some coordination.

No details tonight I'm afraid... hopefully I'll remember everything come morning goodnight

« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 11:02:45 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
I guess I never followed up on this...

I'll leave this thread open in a tab until I do doh

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 11:07:58 PM »
Ok, here is an outline of the Encyclopedia plan.

I've decided the Encyclopedia should be fully integrated into Wordpress rather than trying to bootstrap a custom database.

The Encyclopedia itself will ultimately appear to be one single "multi-page" page. A multi-page or paginated post in Wordpress basically is a page which breaks up into pg1,2,3,4,5,6 and you have to hit next to go to the next page. This way you could theoretically read it like a single book.

It will really be a seperate page/volume for each letter, A, B, C, and so on (and appendices of special characters to boot)

But if you just follow the next page sequencing you will seamlessly cross over from volume to volume.

So far all of these pages outlined will be setup by the admin. The rest on the other hand is up to contributors...

Each entry (a unique subject/definition pair) will be a Private post in the Encyclopedia category. The Encyclopedia category page will be listed alphabetically instead of by date. Any Wordpress Contributor can make an entry post. But if another Contributor wants to edit it, we'll have to switch over primary authorship. I'll try to access the revision data of each post for complete accreditation.

Now on top of this there will have to be special Digest posts. Digest posts represent a page in the Encyclopedia and will probably appear in the same category, and will be named something like Abraxas ~ Arahabaki Digest or whatever. It's up to Digest authors to decide when a Digest post is too long and should be broken up. Most likely the administration will need to be alerted to this decision (not for approval but to edit the volume pages)

A Digest page will just be a list of the entry posts which belong in it in alphabetical order. So the proper procedure for new posts will be to make a Comment in the corresponding Digest post about your new Post. Digest maintainers should probably subscribe to the comment RSS feed for their Digests.

To make sure your digest is correct I'll setup a special preview when viewing the Digest as a single page... it will appear same as inside the Encyclopedia.

Finally we will distinguish some special tags just for the Encyclopedia posts. For instance a Devil tag is a given. That wiill let readers just view Devil entries for instance. We can also tag content by game, but it probably isn't practical to be able to filter out content from other games under the same subject (and anyway it is probably interesting to include info from other games in the query for comparative purposes)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 11:14:04 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 02:39:20 AM »
On second thought... it looks like it will be much easier to navigate/cache if the digest pages are handled directly in the pagetree... which means Contributors won't have to worry about maintaining them (most likely I would -- until I can work out a more fine grained means of assigning privileges)

The benefit here is the page names can be directly listed in the sidebar like any other page, and the final page in each volume can be a redirect to the next volume, so that essentially you can use the generic page flipping mechanism I setup to read thru the Encyclopedia front to back. It seems you can comment on pages, the comment interface is just absent from the default page template. I will most likely hide the comments interface unless users are logged in to Wordpress for Encyclopedia pages.

If you wanna try it we could start by trying to catalog the Dictionnaire Infernal devils (with mention of their appearances in games)

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,827.0.html

There is also the stuff already in Tony's lexicon:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/tony/lexicon/?letter=e

I have no idea why those white boxes show up that way (afaik the gif is transparent) ...on the other hand I'm not sure why Tony decided to use images to space out a table in the first place.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: