DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:21:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ads! (Read 7621 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 17, 2008, 03:26:20 AM »
I'm pretty much finished massaging the website. At this point I'm reticent to do much more until people start pitching in and moving the old pages into the website.

The way the website looks now is pretty much how it will in an 800px or less viewport. I just can't figure out where the hell to fit in advertising. Jose wants ads. And since help doesn't appear abundant, I figure we should start looking into ads to try to generate some compensation for contributors. I think people use the website, they just aren't in the mindset to give back to it unfortunately.

At any rate, the only place I can think to stick ads would be into the mouths of our page avatars. The front page can be ad free, except for probably ads sandwhiched between news items. I think I can work out much better advertising than what Jose setup if I look into it.

But basically the way I imagine it, is Igor and pals will probably be trying to sell you stuff. I can probably make them offer tips and help as well. I never thought about giving the avatars interactive word bubbles or maybe a video game style dialog, except for I can't think of any where else to put ads that wouldn't seem in the way of things.

I feel like if anything I've spent too much time so far with this website. So I'm taking a vacation more or less unless I'm needed to facilitate someone's work.

I might try a plugin like this one here, http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/user-theme/, and fool around with Ry's avatars behind the scenes in the meantime if anything. But basically between bringing the bbs back from the dead, and masterminding the new website infrastructure, I'm done. It's up to everyone else to decide where the site goes from here cloud9

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 03:32:36 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 03:51:34 AM »
I don't know, I don't think I like the idea of the site avvys selling the ads.  I think that probably skirts some sort of legal issues as well.  Sandwiched between news posts is the most common format I see.  It's generally the most innocuous way to put them up.  As long as we don't overkill with them I think we're fine.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:11:21 AM »
Well the pages won't have anywhere to sandwhich ads, and I don't want them intermixed with the page content. We can run ads beneath the sidebar, but some pages might not run that long (though the ads will be there probably in case)

Basically what I'm thinking is there will be a big avatar at the top of the content pages. Then a text bubble beside with a message like, "Welcome, how can I help?," then underneath whatever is said just some google ads. Most of that will overlap the site banner, so it won't really take up page space.

I don't foresee any graphical ads, unless we were approached and have say over the look, and got a sweet deal up front.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 04:13:59 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:43:55 AM »
Makes sense then.  I was thinking that you were going to use their actual blurbs for the adspace.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 06:45:46 AM »
Makes sense then.  I was thinking that you were going to use their actual blurbs for the adspace.

Well you could have them say, "please click on these ads," or something, but that's about all you can do that makes any sense. Unless there actually is an ad blurbing server out there somewhere rolleyes

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: