DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:02:16 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Pagetree (Read 12795 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: October 11, 2008, 02:26:03 AM »
I brainstormed these top-level pages... let me know if I missed any bases:

# About
# Animation & Cinema
# Biographies
# Books & Manga
# Encyclopedia
# Megaten Network
# Music Releases
# Video Games

Goodnight goodnight

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:30:43 AM »
Collectibles

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 11:38:50 AM »
New list...

# About
# Animation & Cinema
# Biographies
# Books & Manga
# Collectibles
# Encyclopedia
# Exclusive Interviews
# Megaten Network
# Music Releases
# Submitted Articles
# Video Games

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:48:58 AM »
Should "Fan" stuff have it's own section? Or should it be filed under every section?

I'm also divided on whether Artwork should have it's own section. It doesn't seem too practical. Most artwork can be filed under wherever it's published. A Media Library section is probably necessary though.

As for the "Demonary" my thinking is it is impractical to have an exhaustive list of Devils from every series in one place. It would just be an 8 lane pile up. I think it makes more sense to have a database for each game, then cross reference them so you can click on a Devil and jump between it's per game info. That will be the organization of the database at any rate, as not every devil appears in every title. The only place to find all the devils in one place I think should be the Encyclopedia. There I think devils should be listed by their actual indigenous names, complete with a list of Devils probably and possibly inspired by them. We could tag Encyclopedia entries as Devils, so a search for that tag turns up all Devils in alphabetical order. All alternative names would point back to the indigenous named entry.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 01:52:03 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 02:35:11 AM »
How do we wanna title game pages?

Should we use "Revelations: Persona" for example?

I'm not going to permit Japanese characters in the titles. But on the other hand these games were originally published in Japan. It isn't a question of translations or whatever to me, I just feel like the original titles should be cited. Just like if a US company bought the rights to Megaten and produced an original title.

There can be cross listing pages for US, European, and original Japanese titles (including Japanese characters)

It does bother me this could throw some person for a loop, but I think ultimately they'll just have to get over it.

There is also the question of whether literal translations should be used... ie,

Devil Summoner: Kuzunoh Raidou vs. The Super Army

Instead of:

Devil Summoner: Kuzunoha Raidou tai Chouryoku Heidan

Or:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children: Black Book

Instead of:

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Children: Kuro-no-Sho

Personally I think it's more practical to use English where applicable. But in many cases romanization is preferable (primarily when English would sound silly, or the language is more titular than descriptive)

I can probably hack in a drop down box for other titles (in case someone can't find the title they know)

PS: The http://www.digitaldevildb.com/games/ page uses Ka instead of Sho. Is this a miss romanization, or something I don't know?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:39:08 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 04:53:58 PM »
Tough call...  I'd list them by region.  Put North American releases first, then Japanese, then whatever else.  We could probably farm those images over on the Intro to Megaten thread too.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: October 15, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »
It's not a matter of listing. The root pages for the games gotta have a unique name. Another reason the page name should be based on the Japanese title, is because most of the games haven't seen world wide releases, so it doesn't make sense to have them half and half.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: October 16, 2008, 05:13:28 AM »
Added a nifty game selection drop down box to sidebar smokin

Now we just need the pages put in place rolleyes

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: October 16, 2008, 04:58:06 PM »
Added a nifty game selection drop down box to sidebar smokin

Now we just need the pages put in place rolleyes

If anyone would like to compile a list of the game titles for the drop down menu I'd appreciate it.

The format is:

<option value="/games/persona/">Megami Ibunroku Persona "Be Your True Mind" (JA)</option>
<option value="/games/persona/">Revelations: Persona (NA)</option>
<option value="/games/shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/">Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne (JA)</option>
<option value="/games/shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/">Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne "Maniax" (JA)</option>
<option value="/games/shin-megami-tensei-nocturne/">Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (NA)</option>

I'm thinking it might be a good idea to list them by year published rather than alphabetically. That would at least consolidate newer titles at the top, and might even be an interesting glimpse into the timeline. It is nice to be able to track down your title alphabetically, but by year all the region titles would still be clustered closely together. Whether to use the Japanese dates for all titles is up to whoever compiles the list.

If by year, the year is the first item in the title. If not by year, please order alphabetically. As for the url, just try to do the best you can. I'm using Tony's urls where possible for backwards compatibility. WordPress seems to prefer a dash over underscores, but will automatically convert an underscored address to a dashed one.

I won't put the complete list into the menu. Just the ones for pages we have. But it will make it easier for me to insert a title if the list is already available. Use literal translations for Japanese titles where possible.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: