DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:23:21 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Death of NTSC (Read 21342 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 03:46:23 AM »
I just don't understand why the change is necessary.  If they can be operated at the same time I don't see what's the problem.  I mean that's what they're doing now, right...?  No one has really explained to me why this benefits us, is what I'm trying to say.

I explained why it's good in my first post rolleyes

They can't be operated at the same time unless you split up the spectrum! The reason it should all be digital, is analog is inferior, and analog wastes too much of the spectrum. An analog signal is highly redundant and provides no means for compression.

In theory the radio spectrum is harmless. But I'd hate to be a creature that can see or sense radio waves. Because an analog signal is like a softly sloping series of hills and valleys versus a digital signal which is like a saw tooth rail road track with teeth knocked out here and there. Of course satellites have been broadcasting in digital for years.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 04:03:40 AM »
I'll still use my analog tv for video games though.  A related question?  Does this mean all video games released in the US will be ATSC then?  Even PS2 games released after February?

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 04:39:07 AM »
I'll still use my analog tv for video games though.  A related question?  Does this mean all video games released in the US will be ATSC then?  Even PS2 games released after February?

They already are. NTSC is a video signal encoding standard. The main reasons games have these distinctions is PAL televisions actually have a slightly larger display, so the games themselves might be reprogrammed to fill up that display (though the consoles seem to be able to output either way)

I think more generally the consoles just upscale the games which is kinda lame, but what can you do.

ATSC is one of many digital encoding specifications which modern televisions should have no problem decoding. New flat/DLP style TVs have decoders built into them, though you generally have to use the one the cable company provides because cable providers tend to refuse to let people use their own TVs because they like to scramble channels (even though many TVs can be loaded with de-scrambling information)

Of course broadcasted signals aren't scrambled, so you could plug an old set of rabbit ears into a modern TV with a built in decoder, and it would recognize the standard the wire is using and show you what you wanna see.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: