DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 19, 2024, 11:37:51 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Tony and the graphics situation?? (Read 14480 times)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « on: October 10, 2008, 10:39:08 PM »
Ummm...  face15

Yeeeeaaaah...  Thanks but no thanks...  I'll just leave the site banner alone then.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »
Ummm...  face15

Yeeeeaaaah...  Thanks but no thanks...  I'll just leave the site banner alone then.
Your passive aggressive bent this time is about?? rolleyes

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:02:17 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:31:22 PM »
 confused  What?  I'm just bowing out of this banner business.  You've got it all worked out anyhow.  Whatever I say is just commentary.

...but based on the artwork you're hinting at wanting me to use...  I'd say you're crazy.  It's not that they aren't cool but they sooooo have nothing to do with the Megaten games.  If I was unfamiliar with Megaten outside of say, the new Personas, I would have no idea the two were related at all.

If what you're trying to get at is: do I have problems with the way you're redesigning the site?  Then sure, but I don't think any amount of arguing on my part would convince you otherwise.   wink

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:33:55 PM by DevilRy »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »
I think you're getting all riled up about nothing smokin

Without being rude, I dunno where you pulled any of these conclusions from. And I'm sorry if you thought just because I reference an image in this thread I want it used somehow. I realize this has become a bit of a monster thread.

Plainly, your conclusions are just off base -- please try to keep a level head when posting in the dev/rules forums. And I'd like to know what your problems with the site redesign are? Other than I think there should be care the site not become Kaneko Kazuma Database biggrin

PS: All I've possibly said to bruise your banner ego is it'll have to have a different font. Try to keep things in perspective.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:05:49 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
It's not that they aren't cool but they sooooo have nothing to do with the Megaten games.  If I was unfamiliar with Megaten outside of say, the new Personas, I would have no idea the two were related at all.
The site isn't just about games. It's actually about Megaten last time I checked. Not just the past, but the future... even after Kaneko Kazuma has retired rolleyes

Try to adjust your focus some goodnight

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 01:20:31 AM »
 ???

I'm not riled up about anything...?  What?   confused  confused  confused

What's so off-base about my conclusions exactly?
The goddess logos on the top right corner of these are interesting...
I have a feeling we should definitely work "Megami Tensei" somehow into a subtitle alongside the title in logos.

How else am I supposed to interpret that other than that you wanted it to be used?  I can be critical of your design choices and still be level headed.  I don't see what the problem is here.  All I'm saying is that I don't think I'm up for this job because I don't share your vision on what would make a good site banner.  You're not bruising my ego in the slightest.  I just like flexing my PS skills when I can.  I honestly couldn't care less whether or not my efforts get included in the site.

If anything I'm trying to get you to keep things in perspective rather than catering to your own specific tastes.  Whether you like him or not Kaneko is pretty much synonymous with the series (being that he drew practically everything related to it), so having identifying graphics that make use of his work not only makes sense but is kind of a given.  Whether or not a piece is "sophisticated," enough is irrelevant if the content doesn't match with the imagery.  That's exactly what my problems are with the redesign and I've only said as much.

A focus on the devils is more appropriate since they're pretty much the only constant in Megaten and instantly identifiable.  Even though I don't necessarily agree with their inclusion in the new Persona, their use in them strengthens that association even further.  I don't think it's "off-base" to think so.  Not nearly as much as using stills from the OAV and the novel for a website catering to the games, certainly.  Ultimately you're the final arbiter of what goes up and comes down, I'm just arguing in the name of reason and ultimately a website that's inviting to everyone, regardless of how familiar they are with the original concept of the series.

EDIT:  I know the site is about Megaten  rolleyes but the games comprise the VAST majority of the franchise and certainly just about the only thing a casual discoverer is going to be familiar with.

P.S. ESPECIALLY English-only speakers.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 01:25:27 AM by DevilRy »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 02:17:04 AM »
It's mostly a site about obscurities. If people were only interested in casual matters, they're not even going to be looking for a concept specific website.

I have no personal tastes one way or other. I just think everything should be handled objectively. The fact that Kaneko is so synonymous with the game makes it even more difficult to parse him from it, hence more reason to divorce him from a single banner. One could easily make a Kaneko Kazuma website I'm sure.

I thought we'd agreed on revolving banners?? I definitely do think Megami Tensei should be on the banner somewhere. It isn't clear it's a Megaten website otherwise, unless you're familiar with the term Digital Devil, which for other than the new Saga titles few in the west would be. It's a no-brainer the premise of the website should be in the banner. There's no reason for a one-stop-shop website to be cryptic.

Try to put yourself in my shoes. It isn't easy to stem the tide of chaos. I'm not even sure why you're quoting my feeling that something is interesting. I can only guess in hindsight you are assuming what I meant to say was, "these are interesting as a viable alternative to whatever you're working on," which is too far of a logical leap for me to follow. Especially for me to foresee sweatdrop

Basically you're inventing your own phantoms. And regardless of how you see things, I don't think your reactions are constructive or appropriate for this board. This isn't a social board, and I just can't deal with this sort of thing in the course of maintaining this website. We have to discuss things objectively as possible. Not accuse each other of ulterior motives and psychological foibles goodnight

I deserve your sympathy, not your angst crying

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 04:33:14 AM »
 frown

Give me a break, what angst...?  You can't blame me if you take it personally.  Look, I'm not trying to bust your balls I'm just providing you my honest input in an (increasingly vain) attempt to collaberate with you.  You can't really claim to be objective if you aren't considering the opinions and *constructive* criticisms of your collaborators.  I don't think the problem is me not being able to put myself in your shoes, it's you not being able to put yourself in others'.  If you're looking to maintain objectivity you're going to have to concern yourself with your audience.  I never had a problem with including the words Megami Tensei, I was just pointing that out because you were giving conflicting statements on what you would want included in a potential new banner.

As for phantoms and psychology and whatnot - whatever.  Nemo_death  All I want is there to be real objectivity in the design of the site, because from here it really looks like you've revamped the place to your own tastes rather than by the input of the community, who you've more or less shut down for all intents and purposes.

I'm sure if posters were actually coming here they would agree with me.  I mean you've said it yourself, you like the original Megami Tensei to the exclusion even of all the other games/permutations of the series... And you only want to use obscure and rare images of the original characters for the main site banner?  I mean, really?  I'm not even suggesting that *my* banner has to be used as is, or that I'm insulted that it isn't (which I honestly am not), I just think that going with a devils concept for the main banner is a better (and more attractive) idea.  A simple simple simple simple simple suggestion that for some reason requires paragraphs of careful wording to apparently avoid being accused of attacking phantoms and character foibles or whatever.

I don't think this is a 'social' board either, I'm just responding in kind and offering criticism which is exactly related to the graphics situation, as it were.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 10:38:45 AM »
Split this cancerous growth wink

I'll try to read/address this thread later, but for now, let's please try to keep the original thread non-couner-productive.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »
frown

Give me a break, what angst...?  You can't blame me if you take it personally. 

I don't take things personally, but you clearly appear to be doing so, and it's frustrating. Especially in public.

Look, I'm not trying to bust your balls I'm just providing you my honest input in an (increasingly vain) attempt to collaberate with you. 

Do you mean in vain? aroused

You can't really claim to be objective if you aren't considering the opinions and *constructive* criticisms of your collaborators.  I don't think the problem is me not being able to put myself in your shoes, it's you not being able to put yourself in others'. 

I apologize. I didn't realize we'd gone so far as to the point this stuff was even worth caring about doh

I'm just trying to make the site work technically! Before it was (no offense to Tony) basically unmanageable and technically erroneous site. If it was better implemented I have a feeling Tony would not have felt so overburdened by it. Especially if he'd reached out more to the community for support.

Afaik, there is no aspect to the site that can be judged on esthetic grounds, other than the banner, and possibly some choices of language?? Which of course are open to discussion. Frankly I'm very close to shutting down my development of the site until others (I respect your support) choose to help support the site.

If you're looking to maintain objectivity you're going to have to concern yourself with your audience.  I never had a problem with including the words Megami Tensei, I was just pointing that out because you were giving conflicting statements on what you would want included in a potential new banner.

It's not about what I want. I might be the executive in most cases, but I'm not "The Decider."

As for phantoms and psychology and whatnot - whatever.  Nemo_death  All I want is there to be real objectivity in the design of the site, because from here it really looks like you've revamped the place to your own tastes rather than by the input of the community, who you've more or less shut down for all intents and purposes.

There's nothing to the site that reflects my own tastes. Tony's site must go for purely technical reasons, and I'm even happy to try to make the site look more or less like Tony's someday... once that becomes a technically viable option. I changed the site look, because it had to be, so I did the minimal I could muster to get the job done. If you're unhappy with it, keep working at it.

I'm sure if posters were actually coming here they would agree with me.  I mean you've said it yourself, you like the original Megami Tensei to the exclusion even of all the other games/permutations of the series... And you only want to use obscure and rare images of the original characters for the main site banner?  I mean, really? 

These statements are totally inaccurate. Besides the fact, I think you're giving to much creedence to the significance of the site banner. A good banner I think should be quite subtle. It will appear on every page. Again these are just my feelings, not my decree. Like I've always said, your banner was fine... though I apologize if you expected it to jump straight from your post onto the front page. I believe in the slow wisdom of bureaucracy, and if something isn't technically broken, what's the rush to fix it? The second things start changing around here too fast, it really will look like a tyranny.

The avatars will play a more important part in the page layout. The banner will seem more like a backdrop. i'd prefer it be very minimal myself. And I do think going back pre SMT is ideal as long as only one banner is to be used. All the avatars are rendered by contemporary Kaneko more or less. I think it's good to have a reminder of the series origins. Or else they become an after thought. And frankly for players that know Megaten all the way back, I think the original Famicom titles are pretty highly regarded amongst the video games. There are still many Japanese fansites with elaborate MT2 guides on the Japanese internet. The story far superior to SMT1&2, and it's hard to imagine Nocturne could be better. So it's not like the old stuff is just toss away. MT2 is regarded as one of the best Famicom titles of all time, released after the Super Famicon. If you're going to be a comprehensive fansite, you need a since of history in the iconography. I'd hate to see that lost, but then I'm not going to overrule anyone who wants to help. I'm basically lazy, and only here because I know what I'm doing and I felt bad about the site being abandoned. Of course if the community doesn't support the site, neither shall I. And frankly it will be one more burden off my back.

I'm not even suggesting that *my* banner has to be used as is, or that I'm insulted that it isn't (which I honestly am not), I just think that going with a devils concept for the main banner is a better (and more attractive) idea. 

You're obviously on about something. All I ask is you find an appropriate font and give it some more thought. I frankly could care less about a banner. And I don't think the banner I threw up there is the bee's knees. It's important to discuss matters, but if we can't do it without behaving like petulant schoolgirls I don't think that is the sort of atmosphere that inspires confidence. I'm not going to engage in petty arguments when it comes to development. Like with QBasic, you get a few warnings, and that's it for me.

A simple simple simple simple simple suggestion that for some reason requires paragraphs of careful wording to apparently avoid being accused of attacking phantoms and character foibles or whatever.

It's simpler to just not go here.

I don't think this is a 'social' board either, I'm just responding in kind and offering criticism which is exactly related to the graphics situation, as it were.

There are ways to be critical without being personal.

Like in any congressional body. If there is opposition of any form, don't expect anything to happen immediately.

But the truth is, the way I see things, we're just trying to patch up the holes in this ship to see if it'll float. If people aren't going to support it, there's no point in getting our pants in a bunch.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 05:03:24 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
Honestly, I really like the minimalist nature of the present banner. I'd even sit down and draw a better silhouette to use if people like it. Ultimately I think it would be cooler to have a banner that is basically duotone and more of a suggestive silhouette that way. And that image is actually very awesome I think. If you just take out the boy and girl it's perfect, though a bit empty. I know I could easily draw a better boy and girl shape some day.

Ultimately people will just have to vote on what they want. But I don't think it's a huge deal at the moment. Ideally I'd like to be able to say you can take a step back and look at a page as a whole, and see it as a single composition, and not just a banner over some text. But that's just me. You gotta admit it does look very trendy.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 02:55:18 AM »
I don't take things personally, but you clearly appear to be doing so, and it's frustrating. Especially in public.

Not really.  I'm just presenting an alternative viewpoint vis-à-vis the site banner.  I really couldn't care either way.  Rather, it just seems like you think I'm being insulting because I disagree.

Do you mean in vain? aroused

Harhar.  sweatdrop  Think Carly Simon.  hearton  I kid, I kid.

I apologize. I didn't realize we'd gone so far as to the point this stuff was even worth caring about doh

I'm just trying to make the site work technically! Before it was (no offense to Tony) basically unmanageable and technically erroneous site. If it was better implemented I have a feeling Tony would not have felt so overburdened by it. Especially if he'd reached out more to the community for support.

Afaik, there is no aspect to the site that can be judged on esthetic grounds, other than the banner, and possibly some choices of language?? Which of course are open to discussion. Frankly I'm very close to shutting down my development of the site until others (I respect your support) choose to help support the site.

All I was really referring to was the banners (the forum banner as well).  Kerberos would be a pretty good site mascot though.  I'm just saying a good, eye-catching banner draws people to the site, as stupid as that sounds.  Good graphic design is like laying a trap for the senses.  I think that by implementing better graphic elements it'll draw a much larger crowd.  Basically be as inviting and as quick to the point as possible.  Something that has "Megami Tensei" written all over it without having to actually write it on the banner itself.

More power to you on the technical front btw.  I had a hard enough time just trying to navigate the damn Wordpress let alone manage a website with it.  eek

It's not about what I want. I might be the executive in most cases, but I'm not "The Decider."

Well you are in the strict-"I am the only one who can edit and code the website"-sense you really are.  I don't think it's about what I want either, I'm just trying to think from the viewpoint of the average English speaking person interested in Megaten, who, let's face it, will probably never play the original Digital Devil Monogatari (or II).

There's nothing to the site that reflects my own tastes. Tony's site must go for purely technical reasons, and I'm even happy to try to make the site look more or less like Tony's someday... once that becomes a technically viable option. I changed the site look, because it had to be, so I did the minimal I could muster to get the job done. If you're unhappy with it, keep working at it.

Well that's my plan, in my free time at least.  We're going to need more than a minimal effort though if we plan to get more people on the site.  It's just generally congruous logic to say that if we pick up on the design aspect we'll end up drawing more folks in.  I think we can definitely glamorize the site up a bit without making it a clusterfuck. 

These statements are totally inaccurate. Besides the fact, I think you're giving to much creedence to the significance of the site banner. A good banner I think should be quite subtle. It will appear on every page. Again these are just my feelings, not my decree. Like I've always said, your banner was fine... though I apologize if you expected it to jump straight from your post onto the front page. I believe in the slow wisdom of bureaucracy, and if something isn't technically broken, what's the rush to fix it? The second things start changing around here too fast, it really will look like a tyranny.

Well I really *wasn't* expecting it to go up, at least not forever, but I feel it looks a might better than the current one.  I disagree with you on the importance of the site banner though.  I mean it's the first thing that pops up in your browser and with today's highly visual interfaces I think you can't really stress the importance enough, especially if we're trying to attract the community.

You're obviously on about something. All I ask is you find an appropriate font and give it some more thought. I frankly could care less about a banner. And I don't think the banner I threw up there is the bee's knees. It's important to discuss matters, but if we can't do it without behaving like petulant schoolgirls I don't think that is the sort of atmosphere that inspires confidence. I'm not going to engage in petty arguments when it comes to development. Like with QBasic, you get a few warnings, and that's it for me.

Just the normal jabber-jaw session as per usual.  If you want though I can reserve my dissent for PMs.    smug

What do I deserve a warning for?   confused

Simpler but counter-productive.

As evidenced by all my responses to you regarding this discussion.

Like in any congressional body. If there is opposition of any form, don't expect anything to happen immediately.

But the truth is, the way I see things, we're just trying to patch up the holes in this ship to see if it'll float. If people aren't going to support it, there's no point in getting our pants in a bunch.

I'm not expecting anything to happen immediately.  But, like with congressional bodies, the citizenry likes to see their government perform more or less to their expectations - not dismiss them out of hand.  I'm all in with you on the patching of the holes, I just think there are big ones out there you're missing, hence collaborative efforts yielding positive (and less frustrating) results!  biggrin

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 02:08:25 PM »

Not really.  I'm just presenting an alternative viewpoint vis-à-vis the site banner.  I really couldn't care either way.  Rather, it just seems like you think I'm being insulting because I disagree.

I have a problem with your attitude and personal language.
All I was really referring to was the banners (the forum banner as well).  Kerberos would be a pretty good site mascot though.  I'm just saying a good, eye-catching banner draws people to the site, as stupid as that sounds.  Good graphic design is like laying a trap for the senses.  I think that by implementing better graphic elements it'll draw a much larger crowd.  Basically be as inviting and as quick to the point as possible.  Something that has "Megami Tensei" written all over it without having to actually write it on the banner itself.

I don't think there are very many suitable images of Kerberos (imo)

I don't think Kazuma's general take on Kerberos is suitable for a banner. It just doesn't work as an icon. You know, like something that would look acceptable on a tshirt (a really nerdy tshirt)

More power to you on the technical front btw.  I had a hard enough time just trying to navigate the damn Wordpress let alone manage a website with it.  eek

It's a flat system more or less. Designed I'm sure to be as easy to navigate as possible. If you're referring to the management backend, I think it's pretty nice interface wise, though more options would be blessing. Whenever a system is different it can throw some people off, but that doesn't make it inferior.

Well you are in the strict-"I am the only one who can edit and code the website"-sense you really are.  I don't think it's about what I want either, I'm just trying to think from the viewpoint of the average English speaking person interested in Megaten, who, let's face it, will probably never play the original Digital Devil Monogatari (or II).

If people don't play it, that is there loss. And it doesn't mean fans shouldn't be made aware. Traci might want ftp access if she helps, but of course, the second things turn into an ftp war I'm out (which would be a loss considering my professional know-how)

I don't think anyone else is qualified to program a custom demonary database, so everyone better be nice to me cool

Surprisingly it isn't something I've actually ever done before, so I'm a little more willing to help considering it should prove an interesting learning opportunity.

Well that's my plan, in my free time at least.  We're going to need more than a minimal effort though if we plan to get more people on the site. 

I don't personally see it that way. My obligation presentation wise is only minimal. I'll only match others, and it will take more than just one or two dedicated contributors to inspire me to further burden myself.

It's just generally congruous logic to say that if we pick up on the design aspect we'll end up drawing more folks in.  I think we can definitely glamorize the site up a bit without making it a clusterfuck. 

I think content is more important than window dressing. I'm more of a fan of the Japanese internet esthetic. High gloss is for the birds. I would never organize a personal website this way graphically.

Well I really *wasn't* expecting it to go up, at least not forever, but I feel it looks a might better than the current one.  I disagree with you on the importance of the site banner though.  I mean it's the first thing that pops up in your browser and with today's highly visual interfaces I think you can't really stress the importance enough, especially if we're trying to attract the community.

I think the whole page loads up. The page as a whole is more important than any single part. That is design 101.

Just the normal jabber-jaw session as per usual.  If you want though I can reserve my dissent for PMs.    smug

Being uppedy.

Simpler but counter-productive.

If you can't argue your point on technical grounds, then don't.

As evidenced by all my responses to you regarding this discussion.

You could be much more objective.

I'm not expecting anything to happen immediately.  But, like with congressional bodies, the citizenry likes to see their government perform more or less to their expectations - not dismiss them out of hand.  I'm all in with you on the patching of the holes, I just think there are big ones out there you're missing, hence collaborative efforts yielding positive (and less frustrating) results!  biggrin

The "citizens" can wait for cooler heads to prevail.

I missed this last post before. I don't have time for all these quotes, so enough is enough sweatdrop

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 02:10:30 PM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: October 13, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »

Wouldn't that be taking what I'm saying personally?   geno 

I don't think there are very many suitable images of Kerberos (imo)

I don't think Kazuma's general take on Kerberos is suitable for a banner. It just doesn't work as an icon. You know, like something that would look acceptable on a tshirt (a really nerdy tshirt)

Yeah, I don't think there are that many drawn images of Kerberos at all really.  I think there are two Kaneko illos, one for Kyuuyaku or Shin Megami Tensei and another in the Kaneko III book.

If people don't play it, that is there loss. And it doesn't mean fans shouldn't be made aware. Traci might want ftp access if she helps, but of course, the second things turn into an ftp war I'm out (which would be a loss considering my professional know-how)

I don't think anyone else is qualified to program a custom demonary database, so everyone better be nice to me cool

I just think it's divisive and exclusionary to use original Megaten iconography when the majority of our site visitors couldn't possibly be familiar with it.  It doesn't mean that fans shouldn't be made aware of the original games, it just not an association the majority of our site visitors will recognize.

I think content is more important than window dressing. I'm more of a fan of the Japanese internet esthetic. High gloss is for the birds. I would never organize a personal website this way graphically.

Well they're both important but the graphic element is the candy that keeps people coming.

I think the whole page loads up. The page as a whole is more important than any single part. That is design 101.

Of course, but that's not what I'm saying at all.

Quote from: DevilRy

Being uppedy.

Um... you can't be serious.  face15

If you can't argue your point on technical grounds, then don't.

I am arguing on technical grounds...

You could be much more objective.

So can just about everyone, yourself included.

The "citizens" can wait for cooler heads to prevail.

You keep thinking that I'm mad or something for some reason.  I don't know what I've said during the course of this discussion that would cause you to draw such a conclusion.

I missed this last post before. I don't have time for all these quotes, so enough is enough sweatdrop

At this point I'm only responding because you are.  That and you haven't really addressed any of my points as to why I think a "devils"-based concept is better for a site banner versus a Kerberos/O.G. Megaten one.  Seriously it's not a big issue I'm just concerned that we don't seem to be on the same page.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: October 13, 2008, 08:51:33 PM »

Wouldn't that be taking what I'm saying personally?   geno 

I don't take it personally myself. But it is really poor form and a bad example of how things should be done in the dev forums. Whether you realize it or not, your arguments often come loaded and designed to appeal to emotions. That's the kind of stuff that leads to mud slinging. You know what you're doing, I've watched you hold back until you let the shit fly. So I know you can turn it off and on at will, whether you do so intentionally or not.

At this point I'm only responding because you are.  That and you haven't really addressed any of my points as to why I think a "devils"-based concept is better for a site banner versus a Kerberos/O.G. Megaten one.  Seriously it's not a big issue I'm just concerned that we don't seem to be on the same page.

I think it's a fine idea in theory. But I don't see how it naturally leads into practical banners. Plus if you try to go that route, you pretty much open the floodgates to countless possible banners. And I don't wanna be in the position to have to pick one. I could pick apart your banner suggestion on multiple levels, but I'm not going to presume it was presented as any more than a mock-up to bring up the question of the banner. If you want the banner to be instantly recognizable to the most neophyte players all the time, you might as well mock one up for every new AtlusUSA release, and frankly I'm not into patronizing AtlusUSA that way myself... though that isn't my call, as much as I don't wanna deal with new banners on a deadline like that all the time. Plus you just can't assume everyone is playing the latest game exclusively, and if they are they're most likely not going to wander far from Gamefaqs if they even find their way to Atlus.com.

edited: My personal feelings are the further back you limit your options to the fewer possibilities you gotta contend with. Plus the site represents the history of Megaten I hope, so it's good to put that foot forward up front. Plus nothing Kaneko does lends itself to an iconic kind of image. So it's hard to use his stuff if you're going for a logo type look -- which is more appropriate. At any rate I'm down with anything. Try again when you have a number of more polished banners lined up. In the meantime we just gotta get one up that looks more professional than not. Feel free to make a thread if you want input on your banner ideas.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 08:58:45 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: