DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:14:33 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tony and the graphics situation?? (Read 72891 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: September 11, 2008, 04:15:56 PM »
If anyone can get a hold of Tony, we need the uncomposited graphics for the main site. That means we need the art files used to create the banners etcetera, in as high a resolution as possible or in scalable formats, and separated out into layers so they can be re-composed.

In the meantime, if anyone would like to try to reverse engineer this stuff, then be my guest. But that isn't the best way of going about things clearly.

Also if anyone recognizes the fonts used in the banners, please let me know.

PS: Jose said he would try to contact Tony about it last I heard from him, but that was ages ago. Go go Jose as usual!

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 04:20:03 PM »
PS: Jose said he would try to contact Tony about it last I heard from him, but that was ages ago. Go go Jose as usual!

Wonder why Jose hasn't shown up by now confused

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 04:40:36 PM »
He's an enigma wrapped in a mystery...

edited: One day he'll show up and just act like everything is normal??

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 04:42:16 PM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:53:16 PM »
At least a message of "I'm okay" or something like that. sick He is indeed a big mystery.  ninja

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 06:49:44 PM »
I noticed the other day the main website can't be viewed in full on an 800 pixel wide display. I think I'm going to have to rearrange it. I'd start working on it now, but it's not a huge priority for me personally, and it's something I could easily get caught up in, so I'll put it off for a while.

At any rate, there is a good chance the look of the website will end up being changed pretty radically.

In general users are not offering to help with development of the site. And it seems Tony is in denial of it's existence. Haven't heard from Jose in forever.

At any rate, in the meantime, if you have any ideas, please help us brainstorm on what a new site might look like. I'll begin by changing the site as little as possible. But to begin with the fullwidth banner will have to go. If anyone would like to keep the banner style on the website. I recommend you disassemble the banner for me, so all aspects of it are on separate layers. If you could remake the banner from scratch with a higher resolution (or better yet make it scalable) that would be even better.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 01:31:42 AM »
I can throw together some banners if you want.  No offense to Tony (or whoever) but I always thought the main site was pretty ugly.  Complementary color schemes tend to look pretty pukity.

I think we should retro out the site a lot.  Maybe try to make the tables look like the old SMT menus.  It's pretty ambitious but it probably can be done.  As long as I don't have to work with code.  I know HTML, BBS code, CSS style sets, and a little bit of PERL, but I'm seriously clueless on all the rest.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 02:11:08 AM »
Well just on the technical front, the site has a number of serious accessibility issues. Plus the present layout appears to be a bit of a kludge for wordpress which often generates a number of fatal errors if you click around the site a little.

I'm seriously considering just starting from the default Wordpress theme and going from there. I don't have any major inspiration at this point. I think it's probably a better idea to just get something minimal up that works asap.

If I decide to fuck everything up (which I know is going to likely piss off / turn off a lot of users) I might first go shopping around for alternative Wordpress themes to start from. But my gut instinct is to just go default and work from scratch.

I actually dug out the original Megaten anime looking for some inspiration. I find a hard time grasping how to wangle something like that into an interface though. I think Ideally I'd like the layout to have lots of retro computer equipment all over the place and magnetic tape reels -- that sort of thing. You know, playing off the "database" theme and sticking to the root precepts of Megatendom.

For now though, my thanking is I'd need some basic graphics help to go forward. And again I worry about people getting bent out of shape about change. But the site like I said, is just technically poorly designed in so many ways from a basic accessibility standpoint (graphically it's fine as far as I'm concerned, but I don't have tools I'd need to maintain it's current presentation)

At any rate, the default Wordpress setup is a very minimalist blue on white look. I made a basic banner logo that I think works that I could work into the blue header which I'll attach. The white would feed directly into it. I think the graphic represents the heart of Megaten. The only logo I think I'd prefer would something better with the same elements, or better yet something like a computer (probably a portable) with something really digital/occult-like in the display. To do that right it'd probably have to be an art-piece from scratch (that looked like professional art)

At any rate, Tony had a blog category basically setup for every game, and banners for every game. That's way too much I think, and not very farsighted. So I'll probably break the news categories down to pretty much what the forum categories are. All the Persona games go into one category for example. Each category will need an avataar that should pretty well represent the entire series. For Persona the obvious pick is Igor for example. These avatars won't be worked into the banner. Instead they'll be somewhere underneath it (though probably overlapping it somewhat) like that Microsoft Word paper clip.

Smaller versions of these avatars will appear in each blog post instead of the boxed in decals currently on the front page.

The avatars should more or less all look as similar in style as possible, but should be actual production art from the game probably. They should basically look like the avatars you'd expect to see next to a text box in a game. The avatars will have completely transparent backgrounds and should only be flat on the bottom.

If you wanna help produce stuff, mostly I'll need those avatars worked out. I think that'll be enough to get the site back to a functional state and swap over to a new theme.

We will also need a new font. We probably need two actually... one for the bbs and one for the website banner. I think I'd like something that looks pixely with some desintegrating if possible (like the effect used in the anime lettering)

The problem so far is the public just doesn't seem interested enough in Megaten community website to warrant such loving care. That is my major moral dilemma at this point. I don't want this place to be staffed by a handful of people. I want the entire community to pull it's own weight.

If it was so staffed, at the least said people should be financially compensated. It's just too much work to shoulder.

Below is my only idea for a banner graphic so far. Along with the lettering and everything else you'd expect. It has the four elements of Megaten which should be in every cannon game as far as I'm concerned; Izanagi, Izanami, Kerberos, and Hinokagutsuchi (the sword)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:26:51 AM by yksehtniycul »

* MTwp.png (95.57 KB, 328x236 - viewed 879 times.)

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 02:55:31 AM »
I think baby steps at this point is probably the best policy.  Truth be told the Megaten community tends to be spread out quite a bit.  I mean the Persona games may as well be their own fandom by now.  This place is pretty dead too you have to admit.

I'll see what I can do as far as avatars go.  Any particular size?

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:05:10 AM »
Size? Bigger is always better. You can always downsize, but you can't upsize wink

Basically you're looking at an image hunt best as I can figure it. The Igor on the Persona Revelations game page is a good example I think. Still keep the highest resolutions possible of whatever you can find.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 03:07:44 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 03:10:57 AM »
Try to pick characters that are common to every major title in a section whenever possible. Even if that means not using the key characters. You can even do a collage of characters if you need to... like with the DS leads for example. Or alternatively for DS you might use that little red Devil with the bowl hair style... that seems to only appear in those games. Just try to think like that. Jakyou might be best for MegamiTensei and so on.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 03:13:14 PM »
What about that eyed yin yang symbol for the Kuzunoha Detective Agency?

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 07:56:45 PM »
Just use characters with a recognizable neck/head. Cut them from the chest up or so.

Besides, that symbol only represents for DS1 afaik. There will be only one avatar for this scheme, for the entire DS series.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 08:08:10 PM »
We could keep the two Jack Bros on the front page for the site news avatar. But I'll need a version that isn't cut off on the top. Or some other version of those two.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: September 29, 2008, 09:10:22 PM »
Besides, that symbol only represents for DS1 afaik. There will be only one avatar for this scheme, for the entire DS series.

Nope, it's the symbol for Kuzunoha.  It's even the icon that shows up as your saved games for Raidou on your memory card.  It's fairly prominent in Soul Hackers too.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 10:28:53 PM »
I guess it could qualify then if we decided to go with an all insignia avatar scheme. Though I tend to lean that way myself, it seems pretty lifeless if you think about it. Plus insignia's tend to create more of a loud patchy presentation, than character avatars to. Character avatars get more leeway because you can impose a personality upon them.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 10:30:29 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: