DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:17:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to get up and move! (Read 57553 times)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #45 on: October 26, 2008, 07:00:29 PM »
You probably turned that on yourself, but I could be wrong.

Twasn't me.   sweatdrop  I didn't even realize I *had* a profile in the WP.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #46 on: October 27, 2008, 05:15:30 PM »
I had a pain in the ass time with WP overriding my html with this page:

http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bulletin-boards/

I'm gonna have to disable the filters when I get a chance. Though I might only do it for pages and Pagetree articles if I can.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #47 on: November 01, 2008, 01:56:03 PM »
Proposed alternate organizational system for the games page:

Series
Devil ChildrenDevil SummonerDigital Devil Saga
Last BibleMajin TenseiMegami Tensei
Non-series*Persona
Maybe a drop-down menu could be added to select a game by title, listed alphabetically.

Then, a list of the most recently released games, the date of their release, plus the country/region it was recently released in.  eg:

Recently Released
Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou vs. King Abaddon PlusOct. 2008J
Devil Summoner Kuzunoha Raidou vs. King AbaddonOct. 2008J
Persona 4Jul. 2008J
etcetera...

Then a list of upcoming and projected titles, basically so we have a place to put stuff like Devil Survivor and proposed titles official blurbs re: working titles like SMTIV and such.

*Subject to change

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #48 on: November 01, 2008, 03:39:05 PM »
The front page is just a directory more or less. Any titles unpublished shouldn't be in the video games area.

There can be a timeline page elsewhere for major events since the dawn of Megaten. Details about each set of titles (year/platforms) should be in the pages underneath Video Games.

Basically we don't want anyone getting disoriented.

Again I don't want anything called a "series" unless it is clearly serial (and I don't wanna argue about the definition of "series")

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #49 on: November 02, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
Well, you've got series games, which have direct/notso direct sequels (sequentially numbered titles anyway), and non-series games, which are the one-off, stand alone games.  We're already listing them more or less by this system so I don't think that's an issue anyway.  Listing them by platform would be unnecessarily confusing; I'm just presenting an alternate structure to Tony's straight-up list.

As far as it being confusing, I think that's because I only put it in text.  Imagine an actual table with a drop down menu at the bottom.  It saves space and itemizes everything, replacing the need for Tony's text blurb at the top of the page.  With the drop down menu, visitors can directly select the specific game they want, rather than being taken to the broader series description page first.

The recently released table adds clarity as well, so visitors can just pick the game they want.

The upcoming release table is more for us so we know when to add new articles, however, I think it's also important to note that it provides release information for games which may or may not have been added to the database.

The last two tables could probably be set right next to each other and instead of letters used to represent the country of release we could use little flags.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:46:55 PM by DevilRy »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 03:55:36 AM »
Sorry this one slipped by me (I'd meant to read/reply but must've lost that tab)

Well, you've got series games, which have direct/notso direct sequels (sequentially numbered titles anyway), and non-series games, which are the one-off, stand alone games.  We're already listing them more or less by this system so I don't think that's an issue anyway.  Listing them by platform would be unnecessarily confusing; I'm just presenting an alternate structure to Tony's straight-up list.

As far as it being confusing, I think that's because I only put it in text.  Imagine an actual table with a drop down menu at the bottom.  It saves space and itemizes everything, replacing the need for Tony's text blurb at the top of the page.  With the drop down menu, visitors can directly select the specific game they want, rather than being taken to the broader series description page first.

The recently released table adds clarity as well, so visitors can just pick the game they want.

The upcoming release table is more for us so we know when to add new articles, however, I think it's also important to note that it provides release information for games which may or may not have been added to the database.

The last two tables could probably be set right next to each other and instead of letters used to represent the country of release we could use little flags.

I don't want any drop downs in pages ever. Not for navigation anyhow. The only drop down that might some day appear on this page is a custom sorting option (that would require a mini-database for games)

Anyhow, I've redone this page cause it was that or pull it down (I gave up waiting on you)

If you want you can add dates (like "1999 ") in front of the titles if you wanna and reorder any I got out of order while you're at it.

Ultimately I think this page should have a resorting option like the devil listings will. But this is sufficient for now.

Keep in mind, basically the organization has to be how the next level of pages are organized.

PS: I'd also like a list of European relases, and I know we're missing a number of odd titles, generally in the cell-phone category.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 03:59:09 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #51 on: November 05, 2008, 05:52:05 PM »
I'm still unclear what exactly I was supposed to do with the games page.  In any case it's probably best that you do it since you know exactly how you want this page to appear and I've only got suggestions on how to order it differently.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: