DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:43:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoa...! What the... (Read 59459 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 12:59:24 AM »
I found a way to work around the Firefox HR bug biggrin

Basically I fake it with a div element, which some how avoids the bug. I'm sure the bug is caused by something deeper with the SMF code. Otherwise no way would it have existed so long in FF. I'm pretty sure the work around hack wouldn't work with the avatars on the left.

This is good, as the default theme shouldn't have any bugs for sure (especially not for legacy Firefox users)

I'm going to try to get this new theme tightened up over the next few days. Then I'm going to make a gmail account for the forum, and try to BCC the revival newsletter that way -- straight thru gmail. We'll see just how easy mail spamming is I guess :)

Honestly I'm kinda suprised you can just send bulk mail out with any return address you please. I think what is probably happening with the newsletter sent by the forum. Is it was sent out in my name, so each letter probably checks with gmail for permission to send, and eventually gmail no longer puts its rubber stamp on the mail (because it looks like someone is spamming in my name)

PS: You shouldn't really be using this board at this point (the Beta board) ...we're officially out of beta. Eventually I'll be removing the Reincarnation sub forum completely. Or hiding it at least if possible.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 02:00:51 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 09:25:43 AM »
Here is a new default theme.

Since the post subject is so much more prominent. When I get around to it, I'm going to have the subject print the poster's name followed by the text of the "Message Icon".

If you look in the Message Icon drop down on the reply page you can see the current list of builtin expressions which will be used. Others can be added, and there is a Custom one which will use the text in the Subject field (I'll try to add a [name] bbcode so you can embed your "current" name in it)

I will add a test so that topics before a certain date won't read that way.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #32 on: September 10, 2008, 05:06:18 AM »
This theme is very solid I think. I've disabled user selectable themes for now for the sake of simplicity. If anyone objects feel free to vent your frustrations.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: September 10, 2008, 09:13:11 AM »
This one works well for me.  razz

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 02:36:55 PM »
I still like legacy.  razz

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
This theme is very solid I think. I've disabled user selectable themes for now for the sake of simplicity. If anyone objects feel free to vent your frustrations.
Enable then immediately.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
Not good enough.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »
Not good enough.
I don't remember stuttering or writing out a typo.  In fact, the only thing that comes to mind is that I DO believe I said "enable then immediately."

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 07:00:01 AM »
And I believe you didn't make a sufficient case for a multi-theme bbs.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 09:03:03 PM »
I replaced the subject line of posts with emotes. I did this so the speaker is easier to follow reading down the left side. If "says" seems too dorky, I can just replace it with a colon for the default emote. Other emotes can be selected from the posting interface.

When I get a second, I'll stick in a time test, so that only newer posts will read this way. No one ever uses the post subject line anyways smug

PS: I've noticed it reads the old way after posting. I'll fix that bug when I get a chance (should be because Java overwrites the contents of the div to the "edited" subject)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:07:04 PM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 09:20:36 PM »
And I believe you didn't make a sufficient case for a multi-theme bbs.
I'm your case.  Multi-theme it, and I stay.  Keep it the way you want, and I'm gone.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #41 on: September 12, 2008, 06:27:23 AM »
I see a pattern developing here rolleyes

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #42 on: September 12, 2008, 09:23:53 AM »
I think one thing is clear, "Keep your users happy and you will have a comfortable place"  5innocent2

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #43 on: September 12, 2008, 09:54:55 AM »
I think one thing is clear, "Keep your users happy and you will have a comfortable place"  5innocent2

This website isn't about me. I can't cater to every whim of every user, especially the squeaky variety.

If you want to file a serious grievance. Do it in the development forum. Make a poll. The poll language should be objective. The participation of the poll must represent a sizable constituency of the active forum user base (which doesn't exist yet)

And keep in mind, the executives (that is the people tasked with implementing your demands) get a 20% super majority vote on top of their normal vote.

Also bear in mind you can't overrule the fundamental rights of minorities.

That is just a preview. Bottom line you're making way too many spurious demands QBasic. If you wanna jet that's your call. This place isn't going to be run like a mad house as long as I'm responsible. Be respectful of the time and energy required to operate a website. Be realistic.

edited: Btw, this is the post layout that will be used. If I must repeat the merits of it again I will. It won't be changing in any noticeable fashion from this point on. It's better off a forum only have one theme. Making the decision to support more than one is a bigger deal than it might seem.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 10:04:15 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #44 on: September 12, 2008, 12:57:51 PM »
And you're making way too many spurious choices.  "For the better of our forums."

You're right, dude.  The site isn't about you.  But what you say and what you do contradict.  You keep making all these random, unnecessary decisions, yet you don't give a flying fuck what we think.

Last chance.  Enable it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: