DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:38:06 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whoa...! What the... (Read 59457 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: September 07, 2008, 05:04:55 AM »
An alternative quoting approach occured to me. Well I realized I could do it with just the css file actually. The only problem is the quotes are embedded in a span, and spans have no concept of width it seems. So the quotes can't adjust to the width of your browser. They must be a fixed width. So I chose a width suitable for 800x600 viewers. If you want to read the rest of the quote click on the link. I could add scroll bars, but it's not worth it I think.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 05:20:55 AM »
There is something funny going on with remote avatar pics. Just upload your avatar for now. I'll try to remember to look into it later.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #17 on: September 07, 2008, 07:27:45 AM »
Ok, I'm happy with this now  biggrin

The only real prob here, is in some of the legacy posts, users get their "quote" tags all out of order, and it makes the whole post get swallowed up into the truncated quote. Also legacy quotes no longer link back to their posts. I will worry about this stuff later I guess.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 11:22:45 AM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: September 07, 2008, 04:55:41 PM »
This is best for everyone. It's a compromise. You just have a natural fear of change it seems  rainbow

If the HR bug becomes a problem, I'll remove it period.
...I'm fairly certain Emilio would agree with me on this one...  face15  Along with practically everyone else...

I don't like the aspect of the quotes, it looks as if it's a big mess of text @.@ I really liked how the bbs looked before the big change, but I guess if Administrator-sama wants it like this, let it be  wink

« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 04:58:47 PM by Emilio Morales »

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
Omg....I just...

That does it.  You may be administrator, but you're not gonna get anywhere with this.  Change it back.

Immediately.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 10:34:33 PM »
I will make one or two basic themes available to users. But I don't understand peoples complaints. It's just like a newspaper layout. Page is money, no reason to wait it.

Best damn layout I've ever seen honestly. I just wish I could make that HR bug go away somehow. I don't think I can get FF past 1.5 on my LInux portable without overeburdening it. Otherwise everything looks good.

If you think you're not seeing the right thing, then please post screens.

I think it's most clear to have all the user generated content between the two HR bars. But if that freaks you out too much whatever.

If anyone else likes it, please donate a little something to my self esteem!

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 10:37:30 PM »
http://i36.tinypic.com/i40lky.png

Change it back.  Immediately.   face15

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:04 PM »
The quotes are brilliant that way I think, and much easier to read around. It also keeps people from filling up the page with infinitely nested quotes.

Again, if you download/update to Firefox3 you won't have that bar sticking out up top. Same for Google Chrome and even IE.

I will probably raise the avataar sizes upto 256. This will be the default theme, but I will put the old themes back in your proifle options, so you can compare them at least P

I recommend you try this for a while, and see if it doesn't grow on you.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 10:45:45 PM »
...Ugh.  For the love of all things mighty and Norse, change it back.  face15

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 11:43:28 PM »
I put in three new Themes (one is broken atm)

Legacy: this is the default SMF theme with the background and logo of the forum
Vertigo: this is the same though the vertical column is adjusted to the max avatar width
Horizon: broken -- this was supposed to be like the old forum, but I accidentally overwrote that file apparently, so it looks a lot like the default theme for now (I'll try to fix it asap)

Compact: this is the board default. (edited: name changed)

There won't be any imposition of avataar sizes, so you're advised to use the default theme if you're not a fan of big empty white space voids.

I might add a temporary version of the default theme with quotes returned to normal (though they'll get kicked down under the avataar)

I'll try to figure out how to add descriptions to the themes when I get a chance.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:46:07 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 11:49:48 PM »
I don't like the aspect of the quotes, it looks as if it's a big mess of text @.@ I really liked how the bbs looked before the big change, but I guess if Administrator-sama wants it like this, let it be  wink
I made the quotes this way because QBasic complained about the way they were. Before they were the same as usual except they had to be under the avataar. I didn't think I had the tools off the top of my head to do the quotes this new way, but I realized I could just with the css file. So thank QBasic for the new quote style  biggrin

Honestly I really like it  rainbow

-- That is, he was complaining about the old quoting (which was really nothing) ...and I'm sure he has complaints for the new style (to the side) as well.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:53:05 AM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 02:12:43 AM »
No complaints anymore.

I can now pick my own style.   hearton

Still though...I can't grasp why you liked that one so much... =_=  it was whack. 

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #27 on: September 08, 2008, 05:38:22 AM »
I like it because it makes perfect sense. I could list 20 reasons why it's superior, and can't really think of any flaws in it other than the Firefox HR bug (which is a major problem admitedly)

I'd like to hear clearly articulated why you don't like it, other than it's unfamiliar to you, or you have difficulties discerning patterns which any reader of news print is quite comfortable with  razz

Bottom line it makes the best use of the space, which makes reading a forum as easy as possible for the heavy users (which is only fair)

My theory is everyone loves to complain. Humans are doomed to rigid authority structures that way  doh

« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:40:57 AM by yksehtniycul »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: September 08, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »
Now you can choose your own style  biggrin I guess I'm returning to Legacy for a while! Thanks for the effort yksehtniycul.   tongue

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #29 on: September 08, 2008, 11:51:19 AM »
I'm trying a new version of the compact, only with the avatar on the right. It's still rough, but you can try it via the "testing" theme. The reason I decided to try this, was I thought it would remove the jolt of having the starting line of the text change. Of course putting the avatar on the right is unusual perhaps, but I thought it would be worth a shot despite this.

The results so far are extremely promising however. Because it seems browsers (or more probably the current html specs) permit the divs to fit into floating layouts much more elegantly when coming from the left (this is because apparently browsers can't wrap text intelligently from the right side (without right alignment that is)

So as a result the quotes can be left alone, and they still fit themselves in correctly. I also have a suspicion the Firefox HR bug might go away, just because that is a very trivial parameterization.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: