DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:28:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would it be bad taste to rip on this discussion? (Read 10928 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: September 25, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »

http://forums.aeriagames.com/viewtopic.php?t=175937

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 11:19:05 PM »
I dunno, I'd hop aboard but really I don't know if I have anything to add to the discussion really.  sweatdrop

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:36:42 AM »
I just find myself wanting to say very harsh things in that thread, but it doesn't seem an appropriate venue. Wasn't so much wanting anyone to jump in. In fact at this point I'm embarrassed to've even gotten taken into it by degrees...

I think I was just curious if anyone felt like commenting ninja

PS: Again, missed this post too sweatdrop

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 05:38:16 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 05:12:12 PM »
Pretty much everything being discussed in that thread is pretty well-worn territory as far as Megaten goes.  Translation vs. localization and such.  I honestly don't see translation being much of a problem for an online game personally.  I mean I don't really know anything about how Online IMAGINE works, but if its anything like other MMORPGs the only translation work that needs to be done has little to do with story  and would most likely be focused on mundane things like place, item, and demon names.

My deal with translation is that the moment you try to shift things around and make the translation come off as more natural sounding English, you start to take artistic license with some-one else's work.  To pull this off at all, the translator has to be a pretty good author as well.  Sometimes this can be handled well but I tend to only be convinced by big-budget affairs that have the money to pay for consummate talent.

This really gets to me though.

I should not feel like I have to go do RESEARCH to enjoy a simple form of ENTERTAINMENT.

Then this dude is playing the wrong RPG series (or he shouldn't be playing RPGs in the first place).  Seriously...  Did he even really think about that before typing it? 

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »
I think my handling of the material in the IMAGINE wiki we setup is pretty natural:

http://dbdb.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/index.php?title=Onmoraki

Though ostensibly the wiki is a democratic affair. The most condemning decisions I made was to change the name of some of the stats. Sometimes I translated things as they were rather than as they read (always borrowed Engrish terms)

I also learned I have a problem with people translating Megaten to read like D&D. I just don't think the highly tortured medieval syntax of D&D fits Megaten. That seemed to piss a ton of people off.

I think Megaten terms should be short and catchy and most of all modern. Like little pop diamonds.

I think all of this. On the other hand, I'd just be impressed if Aeria could get all the Devil names more or less in order, and catch all the mythological/pop culture references.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 09:56:39 PM by yksehtniycul »

Sturmvogel
Remodeled Teacher

MaleView Profile
Remodeled Teacher
Sturmvogel phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 03:14:59 AM »
It's an argument as old as time, yeah.

But if I see ANYONE on this forum attack Ryusui or anyone I hold in fairly high regard, I will not shut up.

Sturmvogel has 3 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: