DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:26:09 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would anyone like to help clean out the bots? (Read 13456 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « on: September 01, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »
Sometime last week I removed several accounts that were obvious bots. I was going by screen names however. I think probably email addresses are better indicators. If anyone would like to help by dredging the member list for potential bots you can do that here.

Just compile a list of account names in this thread that you think are bots, and I'll check them all out and delete them if I concur.

You can just hover your mouse over the envelope icons on the MEMBERS page to quickly survey addresses.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
Isn't this haphazard?  Cleaning out members just because of conspicuous usernames?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:06:48 PM »
Isn't this haphazard?  Cleaning out members just because of conspicuous usernames?

No. If they have no posts, no reason not to delete. If they do the posts will look like spam. The bots couldn't be more obvious anyways.

Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 07:02:59 AM »
AaronKylie, actaeonreich, accegeranty, Aidersils, AkaaaMA, altosburg, aludderry, Amevapepheple, ammafox, amoulmoky, angelinaforest, aniityberg, anzle, AppeveKag, Apsdydrr, Aquamarine, Archetype, Arebtelile, arielaynes, Aritrariknorn, arrigueattino, AssorbPot, Atma Beelze, Battistax, BenStiller, BianiaMiz, BitteriBere, Blackowl, BlermaBloon, Blue Nocturne, BolfZoonirl, Bossss, Bosylyloarp, boxsiki, Brand, Bubblejest, byzantiumherrick, Careandhealth, cartooningolik, caseferter, CawayCher, Ceapsussy, Cernphini, cheefeque, Cheerio, ChocolateBoss, ChristmasTree, Christoff, Chubbee, clasicalia, CloudedLeopard, cmgp, Combustion, comfyunderwear3, Crimson Cloud, Cure, curixmann, daulaplume, Dave3, derrekmerilee, dethsyth, Diablo, diakjaipt, DragoonKnight, encogeody, Enhantchailia, fenescaste, FukaDaho, Gantz, gluckmeea, groorwals, gwenorepo, Gyndddeckss, Hepexpirm, hienue, Hildebeast, HunterM, Hyegun, Izanami, Jackie, jackjak, jastinavraham, Jim2Ryu, Jollielips, Juditte, Juliostim, JustLuke, kastanne, kati- chan, khell, kiliboa, kimdetr, Kusiga, Kuziaaaa, lajaboy, lashitlelib, Leena, leingod20xx, liedlyawalinA, Lindmannnn, lineary, lisaliu, Loattastylyea, Longisthenight, Magatama, mai-ne139, majin, Marakasa, MariaPushkova, MarzPan, megaten_freak, Methhbbr, MibUndinsJund, Mioki, Miravana, MrsBruks, mrsfioricet, namanaj, namatamiku, Neverdone, NikaragyaBoy, Nikhold, Niniziffuct, nnfgcvxn, Noirtier, OneceAnnok, Oscimismaro, other_self, Over Yazmat, Patdread, pedrucho, PetrKracnov, Phanom Curse, Pitbull, PltnmNgl, Prinny, prodidienru, Prons, Qomhogns, rallFaupe, RaspberryJesus, Raven, RazorLee, RedNinja, redstuff, RetweablePere, rxndom, Sacreddragon, Samurai, sankukai, sarahoc, Semains, Seymour, Shazzner, Sheeftodo, sheereegoliath, shohobanvarsd, SilentProtagonist, Sillytrumv, Sin_Angel, slehiruse, SMT_Dante, soartodemeelt, sogsLouse, Spectator, Spongebob, spowswew, SssesMorrr, Subjeajeria, SupertraxunB, tactical13, TamaraZubrova, thailover, theshiek, Thundergod, Thunderzee, Trisk, typhonghanaian, upshegoes29, Utterosulse, Uzume, valkyrie, Velvet_Underground, Victor, Victor Stillwater,     ViktorNosov, violetpoof, Welce, whipstish, wiki_test, WilliamK, Wiseman, Yomoghiz.

These people only registered, they never posted, and they don't have avatars. I'm sure that there is much collateral damage, but everyone can visit DDDB and read the forums without registering. I'm sure there won't be any complains.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 07:07:24 AM by Aleph »

Aleph has 35 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
All of these names appear to be legitimate more or less. Sarcasm aside, these users will be integral when I send out the newsletter announcing the rebirth of the bbs.

An example of a bot is AkaaaMA. I missed this one by name, but their mail address is ma@shopforbestmortgage.com.

Technically could be ma just works for a legitimate company and uses a work address for social forums, but they'll be deleted anyhow because their name/address is lame, and there are no legitimate posts.

I recommend perhaps refining this list against this criteria. 90% or more of it appears obviously legit.

Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 03:49:56 AM »
Aidersils, aludderry, Amevapepheple, angelinaforest, aniityberg, arrigueattino, BianiaMiz, BolfZoonirl, Bossss, Bosylyloarp, ChocolateBoss, daulaplume, Hildebeast, MariaPushkova, NikaragyaBoy, nnfgcvxn, PetrKracnov, rallFaupe, RazorLee, rxndom, sarahoc, shohobanvarsd, sogsLouse, SupertraxunB, TamaraZubrova, ViktorNosov.

I don't know, check these again.

Aleph has 35 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:03:28 PM »
I will check all of these asap and make sure you get some karma for the trouble...

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 03:41:54 AM »
Wow, I must've deleted more than 100 bots in all.

I wonder how they all got in?? Perhaps Tony wasn't using any counter measures  sweatdrop

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 07:40:01 PM »
Wow, I must've deleted more than 100 bots in all.

I wonder how they all got in?? Perhaps Tony wasn't using any counter measures  sweatdrop
There really aren't any true countermeasures...  The best for now is a human check during the registration process.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 08:18:09 PM »
Short of actual people registering bot accounts, there seems to be plenty ways to keep them out. I've never had a bot make it past character recognition in a forum. Even if automated it's too computationally expensive to warrant the sort of stuff these bots tend to do en-masse anyhow.

Frankly 99% of the bots seem to be virtually benign. You wonder what the hell people go thru all the trouble for if this is the best their bots can do once inside.

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: