DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:55:26 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: favorite shin megami tensei or spinoff.. (Read 14394 times)
Heart of Shadows

View Profile Email
Heart of Shadows phones it in,
 « on: April 28, 2008, 03:12:18 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm just curious which is everyone's favourite.

I played digital devil saga as my first shin megami tensei and from there I played the second episode and then I found nocturne. I've played the persona spin offs and even devil summoner but they don't even come close to the shin megami tensei main series to me.
As for my favorite of the 3.. Well its hard to choose.. I liked 3 because of its customization the best but story wise I loved The first shin megami tensei the best..
The second one was epic but it just didn't touch the story that the first shin megami tensei hit me with and I even liked the story and atmosphere in the first shin megami better than 3.

The comfort of death will come, for men and demons alike...by the guidance of the Great Will.

Heart of Shadows has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: April 28, 2008, 11:37:07 AM »
Let me see, my top 3 of Megaten games:

1) Persona 2 Batsu; since was my first Megaten game, and the story, characters and music are simply amazing, this game totally replaced my favoritism with the Final Fantasy series. If you look at the same way, Persona 2 Tsumi will be at the first place, since they´re almost the same.

2) Between Shin Megami Tensei I and Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne; SMT I because was the second game I´ve played of the series, and the one that keeps my atention to this fantastic franchise and Nocturne, because I was lucky to  find this title as an "Used Game" at the video game store. :)

3) Between Shin Megami Tensei If... and Persona 3/FES; SMT If... because its like the beginnings of the Persona series and the game has a fantastic story (like all other Megaten games :P) and Persona 3/FES, because I waited a loooooooong time for this game, I was waiting for looking what they have done with the Persona series.

And for now, I´m waiting for FES and looking forward to Persona 4. :)

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:09:33 PM »
My first was definately Nocturne,and I got hooked on what other titles that were brought over.

1.Digital Devil Saga - I have to admit,I enjoyed it a lot...especially the music,which was similiar in some ways like Nocturne's OST,the characters I liked and the story was really interesting,with how it started off as something so small and simple,and then it just expanded into something bigger...but I guess,that's one of the main points in the SMT/Persona series,lol.

2.Devil Summoner:Raidou[I'm not putting the full title,just remembering off hand.] - I know a lot of people hate this title,but I still love it.Personally,I thought the gameplay was fun,and having your summons by your side and helping you out in an active manner,while all the other titles were turn based.Music wasn't as strong as DDS or Nocturne,but it was suitable for the atmosphere and the time setting it was in.

3.Persona 3 - as much as I was addicted and beat the hell out of this game,it probably should be my second choice....but after completing it,and looking at the summary of FES's story...it kind of turned it around for me,just a little bit.Probably because the ending was more of a "bitter sweet" one at that;It also probably doesn't help that I really liked the main character and his character design.While all the other endings from the other titles were more satisfying and pleasing,some May or may not have been the best "happy ending" in their terms....keep in mind,I Have yet to play the older SMT titles,so I don't even know how they end..and don't want to,due to spoiling...I've only played Persona 1,and I liked that ending for it.

But for P3,I loved the gameplay,OST was once again,suitable for the atmosphere involved,characters were likeable,and love the interaction involved.Also enjoying the costume changes,and extra scenes in FES.

I'm definately looking foward to P4,as the gameplay from P3 is back,it's been upgraded a little bit,and so far...I am liking those additions.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 03:11:59 PM by Enid »

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 07:56:36 PM »
I just can't get used to how so many NA region players these days only know Megaten via either Persona2 EP or Nocturne.

If you identify with a long running series, why not bone up at least a little on the history? I scorn Atlus as much for pathologically deviating so far from the formula. Atlus always seems to be seeking out a new identity which might increase it's profit share, I dunno. It's alienating to a core fan-base when that starts happening and the original thrust is eventually jetisoned entirely from the spectrum.

That said, the most impressive games I think are MT2 (sans the Shin), Persona (take your sequels back please), and the Majin series  (does Ronde count?) wins honorable mention.

Except I can't play turn-based strategy games after the maps go on for more than an hour and the linear nature of time unravels before my very eyes (I can last a little longer on an emulator with the fps cranked up)

IMAGINE win's for best action oriented incarnation of Megaten while retaining some old-school qualities and being so generic/customizable as to not fatally offend the mind's-eye.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 07:58:59 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 08:14:06 PM »
I have done research in the past about the previous games and all the others made,through this site:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/megaten/megaten.htm

Sure it may not be considered,playing the "full experience" while actually playing the game itself...but it is nice to see how it all started,and how it's expanded and grew over the years for as long as it's been around.

But in all honesty,looking at the screenshots..I really can't see myself playing the earlier games.They just don't really catch my interest,I mean sure...after what I keep hearing about the story involved and how it's presented,I'm pretty sure that is one of the strong points.Am I saying it's awful before even attempting to give it a try? No,I'm not...I'm just going by my assumption,and with how I am with games...I can't possibly see myself making it far or playing it anytime soon..due to other games I am waiting for, already playing,or already have on hold for who knows how long it's been...

However,I would like to play Persona 2,especially when IS is translated...the other I can think of ways to get a hold of it.

The13thChyld
The Androgyne

View Profile Email
The13thChyld
The13thChyld phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: April 28, 2008, 09:57:23 PM »
History repeats itself:
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=460

My favorite is MIP, of course. Perhaps my favorite game period. Nearly perfect.

Runner up's: Megami Tensei 1, Shin Megami Tensei 2, IMAGINE.
Most despised: Persona 2 IS/EP.

Quote from: yksehtniycul;7491
I just can't get used to how so many NA region players these days only know Megaten via either Persona2 EP or Nocturne.

If you identify with a long running series, why not bone up at least a little on the history?

I think it mostly amounts to laziness.

Quote from: Enid
I have done research in the past about the previous games and all the others made,through this site:

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.c...en/megaten.htm

While it is worth reading, it is flawed article. Besides, you certainly won't come away from it with any real understanding or feel for the games in question. For that, you must play them. :P

Life is like an illusion, like a dream waiting to be awakened.

The13thChyld has 41 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 10:15:50 PM »
Yeah,I realize that..why I mentioned,you won't get the full experience out of reading what is being told you to. It's basically asking a friend's opinion on what they think of the games.

In a way,I can agree,majority of it is due to laziness....people just haven't been doing their research,don't make the effort to play the older games,or even look for ROMs,let alone a script,whether it is available or not..if it's not,that could be another reason for not looking into the others...or really,looking on google just doesn't seem to "work out" for them.

...how many times do I keep hearing that excuse...it's obvious they don't research deep enough,but I'm not going into that.

Overall,it really doesn't concern me either way....I'm just thinking of this from an outside point of view,if I'm missing out on something good,then yes I am aware of it,and will stick by it.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:37:38 PM by Enid »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 11:02:53 PM »
I feel pretty much the same way only in reverse!

The old games are enjoyable games, the new ones I just can't see getting into and even find the idea of them somewhat nausiating.

You don't have to be into retro games or have a soft spot to enjoy the other games. They're just better games for the most part. If you're young, play them now while you're young... you might not have time later on in life. Case in point, my game-life is more like triage atm.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:05:23 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 11:28:37 PM »
Kudos to KURT for all that work... even hilighted Giten MT.

Albeit, a bit too opinionated!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 11:31:16 PM by yksehtniycul »

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 02:57:59 AM »
The Devil Summoner games were always my favorite spinoffs.  They just tend to have that certain sort of flair that all the others lack.

Devil Children, on the other hand, is on my most despised.  I'd rather play the 50 Cent games.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: