DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:39:54 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Magician Help. (Read 11800 times)
Ziabatsu

View Profile Email
Ziabatsu phones it in,
 « on: April 01, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »
Hey guys. I hate for my first post as a newb here to be a help request. But I could really use a hand. I've just started (Lv8 as of right now), and I've decided I would like to be a Magic user. The problem I've run into is... I have no idea what spells are good for a Magic user, and what parties expect us to have etc. Right now I'm just leveling my first AGI spell, but I have no idea past that what I should put points into. Any help from personal experience owuld be greatfully appreciated.

Ziabatsu has 6 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:48:41 AM »
Well if you want an offensive magic user, then pretty much you just get to choose between different sets of the four elemental spells. You get to mix and match them depending on the "level" of the spell, not the element type. So for one level you can have different elements, then other elements at the next. You should check the gamefaqs guide for now. You get all of the Zan spells I think regardless. The first level you get all four types. But by the next round you have to make choices. Also there are Excel skills which make your spells a little better one at a time. Make sure you choose Excel skills for the spell you actually have or they are useless. Basically technique are motor skills, and knowledge are trade/minor skills.

There are some magic related chain skills recently added. The attack magic variety requires you know something of the curse type magic as well.

There isn't anything about these chainskills in english on the internet yet afaik. I'm about to write up a translation of them sometime soon though on this page, including descriptions:

http://dbdb.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/index.php/Meta:Skills_Repertoire

Will be in the "Banishment" section.

There is also the "Magic Fist" chain skill that combines magic with fighting, you can read about on gamefaqs. Everyone with magic seems to want to use it since it was introduce. Doesn't seem like a very creative character path these days. The Banishment skill is much newer and probably more interesting. The Fist skill just amounts to four elemental "rush" attacks, but they're quite harrowing granted they seem to combine magic and attack power for some of the highest damage dealing potential in the game.

If you wanna learn the Banishment skillset, I'll try to explain the requisites, as they're not completely documented atm.

editted: Also I noticed the other day that skills are divided into two sets called Technique and Knowledge. This could very well be a new development. Its possible though I just overlooked the distinction until now. It would greatly balance the skill system to make this division and separate the skill point caps thusly. If that decision was made, the players with all their skillpts in techniques would stand the most to loose. As a game designer myself, I just can't see how the system could go on the way it is, but it would be a trick to reorganize the system at this point without pissing some players off. The Knowledge skills start after the Summoning skill in the skill list. If you hover over the skill bars, the first set of kana in the upper left is either technique or knowledge.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:57:58 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Ziabatsu

View Profile Email
Ziabatsu phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 05:46:43 PM »
Thanks for the reply, very insightful. I don’t think that the whole magic-brawl style is my thing. I’m probably going to use a Pistol since from what I hear they have high magic attack stats. But I’m also interested in hearing more about the Banishment line you spoke of. In the end, I just want to go with what would benefit me most as a caster. As far as offensive or defensive/healing magic, I’m really not sure what path to take. I imagine as a healing type, I would be more beneficial to a party, but at the same time I don’t want to be worthless on my own. I suppose this is where having the proper demon comes in to play?

Since I don’t enough Japanese to do much other than greet people, my goal is to make my time in the game as easy as possible by playing a class people would like to have in a party. But that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be open to playing an offensive caster. It actually sounds more appealing, I’ve got mixed thoughts on the whole thing right now.

Thanks again for the reply, hope to hear something on Banishing here soon.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 05:49:33 PM by Ziabatsu »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 01:29:57 PM »
Well you can always play with English speaking players of course. Healing magic is generally regarded as useless on a player, but it can be nice to have any status negation spell always on hand in some cases. Mostly its just an esthetic choice I think. Healing uses a new stat which has never been in another Megaten game afaik. So be warned, it doesn't cross over with the magic stat.

If you want a pure caster there are wands which are probably more effective than guns. It is true most of your attack stat comes from your weapon. You might look into the new Bullet Magic chain skill if you're really into guns. It would probably be too much a split though if you want Banishment too. Plus it looks like maybe magic stat doesn't actually effect bullet magic.

For Banishment you basically need to unlock the "magic control" and "blessing" skills. We call these Meditation and Astrology on the wiki. Blessing is a really crude translation, but that is what players are calling it at the moment. The skills themselves are actually based on Hindu Astrology.

Devils get really obvious luxuries when it comes to magic. About everything is twice as easy for them. The nice thing about PC mages are you get every elemental at your disposal, and many Devils are weak to at least one. A player mage must consume a lot of candy to keep their MP up. It can get expensive.

The First-Aid skill is supposed to increase the boost of restorative items, but apparently Cave has forgotten to implement this so far (it is in the skill description at least), otherwise it would be a very useful knowledge skill for mages.

I'll try to explain more later.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 01:40:20 PM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 02:35:27 PM »
/oh yeah, if you can login tonight in about six or seven hours you can probably join a party with us and pickup 700,000+ experience points.

Ziabatsu

View Profile Email
Ziabatsu phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
Oh, sounds cool. I should be on. May I ask, what is your IGN? I'm "Testament"; Attempting to hit level 12 here soon. Still clearing this dungeon over and over so I can do some collection quest.

Also after reading what you have posted, I think I'll be an offensive caster. As you said and I have heard, healing isn't very beneficial seeing as how your demons can typically do a better job and you don't have to waste skill points.

I think I'm going to stick with Pistol for now, it seems to be pretty fun (More for the style). Trying to get a hang of it though, definitely seems a bit harder to use than the sword.

One last thing- Thanks again for the information you have provided.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:52 PM »
if you're online atm, we can't reach you because your profile is private. we're on ch4 now, better hurry.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 12:31:38 PM »
We looked for you, and waited on ya last night to no avail. Sorry you weren't able to make it.

Ziabatsu

View Profile Email
Ziabatsu phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 07:29:39 PM »
Yeah, after work a friend invited me over so I ended up doing that. Though next time I'll definately try to be there for some exping.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 03:42:03 AM »
700k isn't exactly business as usual. Its probably for the best though. That much exp might be too much too soon for starters.

Ruuku

View Profile Email
Ruuku phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: April 30, 2008, 03:20:16 PM »
I've started a character, and seem to have taken exactly the path as Ziabatsu, and offensive pistol wielding caster guns:

It's hard to find any English speaking active players to party with though ):

Ruuku has 2 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 03:56:03 PM »
We'll fix up our terminal advert if you wanna join the DDDB klan a la the registration thread (we should have it always setup, but at any rate, let us know and we'll get on it)

There is the Bullet Magic chain skill, but it isn't based on the magic stat from what I've seen (though it could be purely additively so)

It draws on debilitating magic, which raises the magic stat, so presumably the magic stat effects debilitating magic somehow. So that type of magic and guns might be practical. Otherwise you might find yourself splitting your skillset, which isn't all bad, but limits what you can achieve in either domain.

No one ever saw Ziabastu right?

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 04:03:13 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: