DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:58:10 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Does Megaten require admins?
Yes - 9 (81.8%)
No - 0 (0%)
I apologize if the immutable subject language is inappropriate. - 2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it me, or is the situation here really f*cked up? (Read 24596 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: April 11, 2008, 05:56:40 AM »
Sayck means?

I think maybe the problem is this website was never designed with so much pressure in mind.

I'm really unsure what Tony was trying to do looking around. And the new admin didn't have a history of participation, so his entire role seems mysterious at best.

He must still be footing the bill :)

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 02:30:14 PM »
Yeah, Jose came out of nowhere.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: April 11, 2008, 04:13:15 PM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;7327
Sayck means?

A douchebag who antagonizes me.

In any case, do any of you keep in touch with Tony?  ...At all?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: April 11, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
All right, I'm not going to lie things have been pretty awful here but I thought I would set some stuff straight.

Jose didn't come out of no where, he was actually chosen after a lot of back-end decision making. He's actually rather reliable but unfortunately has been MIA as of late due to major computer problems and some other things.

Also whenever he gets on  he is trying to get stuff done but he's never really able to get on a computer for more than 15 mins at a time.

traci has 97 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 02:06:13 AM »
Seems like an easy enough solution would be to just share passcodes a little. As far as I undestand, no one but Jose has real access to the site. I can ftp the dbdb subdomain Jose graciously setup. I can probably php admin the database he setup too if I tried (I dunno if the database is the same used by the main site)

But someone should be able to do something somehow if need be until Jose can get a computer. If you can afford to pay for the host, why not just buy a cheap computer on a payment plan? Is internet access a problem for Jose? Should we setup a Jose fund? I guess the situation doesn't exactly inspire confidence :)

Just open things up a little and let in some air.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: April 12, 2008, 04:11:43 PM »
Quote from: traci;7335
All right, I'm not going to lie things have been pretty awful here but I thought I would set some stuff straight.

Jose didn't come out of no where, he was actually chosen after a lot of back-end decision making. He's actually rather reliable but unfortunately has been MIA as of late due to major computer problems and some other things.

Also whenever he gets on  he is trying to get stuff done but he's never really able to get on a computer for more than 15 mins at a time.

Computer problems for HALF a year?  What about friends?  What about net cafes?  What about the fact that...on a friggin Food Lion paycheck...HALF a year is enough to buy three decent laptops, hm?

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #21 on: April 13, 2008, 05:22:31 AM »
Is there any movement getting ssh access to the server? Over in the Imagine wiki Jose has permitted us to host:

http://dbdb.digitaldevildb.com/wiki/index.php/DBDB:Megami_Tensei_IMAGINE_inter-klan_mainframe

We have probably thousands of icons associated with Imagine. It might be wiser to bypass the mediawiki image handling features altogether for them. But that isn't very easy if even possible to do with mediawiki without PHP5. There are countless features not available to PHP4 based servers. And the PHP4 version of mediawiki has been discontinued for years now it appears. Regardless, importing so many files into the wiki, requires ssh access. As would installing PHP5 in the cgi directory. Either way, we can't really get these icons into the wiki without ssh access, as manually uploading each one, one at a time, is obviously out of the question for mere mortals.

PS: Mediawiki appears to require maintenance scripts for much of its functionality. So as the wiki administrator, I really require ssh access period in order to regularly maintain the wiki.

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Maintenance_scripts

Alternatively the php services user id can be given execution privileges within the wiki file tree. This permits php files to run caged executive commands.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 05:32:00 AM by yksehtniycul »

The13thChyld
The Androgyne

View Profile Email
The13thChyld
The13thChyld phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 12:10:47 AM »
Quote from: traci;7335

Fifteen minutes is long enough to e-mail you (the other active staff member) whatever  necessary to access and work on the site. There really is no excuse, outside the possibility of him being dead or in prison. Most public libraries have internet access.

Life is like an illusion, like a dream waiting to be awakened.

The13thChyld has 41 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 12:55:15 PM »
Quote from: The13thChyld;7370
Fifteen minutes is long enough to e-mail you (the other active staff member) whatever  necessary to access and work on the site. There really is no excuse, outside the possibility of him being dead or in prison. Most public libraries have internet access.

Dude.  Fucking prisons have internet access in their libraries.  I certainly can't find "Digital Devil Database" a danger to it's inmates or a threat to the security...

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 06:55:37 AM »
Heap on the shame and see what transpires...

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #25 on: April 19, 2008, 06:57:35 AM »
I can setup a paypal account and take donations via poll thread once a month. If you'all can raise enough advance money for a half a year of hosting, I'll offer to take over.

editted: There's gotta be a way to do that publicly, so observers can see what money is going into an account and out of an account to where.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 07:02:12 AM by yksehtniycul »

Camanche
Same shit, different style.

View Profile Email
camanche@gmail.com
Camanche phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: April 19, 2008, 05:55:37 PM »
Hell, if people are willing to, I'd even throw in something myself.

Camanche has 171 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 12:33:20 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with question the admin or lack there of. It isn't as simple as creating a new site and forum.  I thought this place was going to hold a lot of promise opposed to the mess that the Haven had become.

If Jose was going to blow this place off, some type of notice would have been nice. He didn't have much of a presence from the get-go.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Camanche
Same shit, different style.

View Profile Email
camanche@gmail.com
Camanche phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 07:41:05 PM »
So no one really knows how to contact him at all? I agree that I'd be nice if things could at least be sort of 'handed' over to someone who's more present.

Camanche has 171 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 08:31:40 PM »
Maybe he has amnesia? Or maybe the host is payed up for a spell and will just mysteriously disconnect one day...

I'm free to promptly handle any technical comeuppances  at least until I'm voted planetary demi-god... it's just a matter of who'll pay the bill.

PS: I wasn't suggesting before I would split the difference of donations out of my own pocket. Six months or a year, it would depend on the thru-put needed and payment plans available, which might amount to one-year leases by default. I've been pretty disgusted with hosting options for the last couple years, otherwise I'd probably have a host handy myself.

It just pains me to not see a viable unofficial Megaten oasis as far as the eye can see. I wonder if there's a digital squatting rights law permitting community mutiny against a neglegent content provider?

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 08:46:40 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: