DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:16:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm making a P&P SMT themed game- looking for suggestions (Read 21339 times)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « on: December 28, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »
Hi everyone! First time poster on this board.

I'm writing because a few days ago I began working on a tabletop RPG that would have more than a few thematic elements and mechanics borrowed from SMT and its spin-offs, being a fan of the series ever since playing Digital Devil Saga. I completed a very rough alpha of it (base rules) in record time after discovering there was an official Japanese pen & paper game, but in a massive "more tables than a furniture store" format which is exactly opposite of my game which is trying to be a little more "pick up and play", rather than worrying about if your monster has Agi or Agidyne or if it fits the right algebra formula.

My question to you guys is "What would you like to see in a game like this?"

Thanks!

Wirebrain has 17 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 04:11:14 AM »
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but my suggestion is this: a disco.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 04:45:42 AM »
Quote from: Heat;6358
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, but my suggestion is this: a disco.

Maybe I can be a little more clear... the project is a Pen and Paper Role Playing Game like Dungeons and Dragons or Vampire, except there will be a few elements in the game that you might find familiar in the console SMT games. I'd like to know if there's any elements from the different game series I should consider adding to the game.

minotaurus
Persona User

View Profile Email
minotaurus phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »
It would be very nice, instead, if you do a graphical adventure :3. Well, just an idea.

minotaurus has 43 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:23:24 PM »
Quote from: minotaurus;6364
It would be very nice, instead, if you do a graphical adventure :3. Well, just an idea.

Yeah, no one bothers with pens and paper anymore these days. If it doesn't have graphics, no one will bother.

Sang
Weekend Evil Mastermind

MaleView Profile Email
Sang phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 01:33:50 AM »
Quote from: Heat;6369
Yeah, no one bothers with pens and paper anymore these days. If it doesn't have graphics, no one will bother.

Actually I believe pen and paper is still quite popular.

Still Dreaming.

Sang has 5 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 01:40:12 AM »
Quote from: Sang;6374
Actually I believe pen and paper is still quite popular.

[citation needed]

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 01:01:21 PM »
I still play the pen and paper games with my pals, but they're so boring.  goodnight Some advice I would give when creating a tabletop game, more specifically a Tensei one, would be to build the game around the worlds twisted themes. I'm the DM amongst my friends, but I've never really been with the rules and regulations. So my campaigns are usually pretty story heavy, and the Tensei games have quite a bit of good material to work from. Since you didn't want to worry about the magic system to much, a focus on narrative could be your best bet.

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
Quote from: Heat;6375
[citation needed]

I can't give you exact estimates but the fact is that in the US, RPGs ("analog", non-computer based ones) have a reasonable hobby market share. There are plenty of companies still releasing games, a healthy indie market that sell much different games than the big companies (think of them as Atlus or Mastiff compared to Squenix or EA) and professional websites that allow you to purchase cheaper PDFs of the games or get a PDF/Book combo, no different than Lulu.com.

The largest convention for the hobby (for which there are many all over the country), GenCon has hit it's 40th anny last year with 27,000 people in attendance, far more than the largest anime conventions and RPG.net, a independent website dedicated to the hobby on all sides has 46,606 forum members, and I'm gonna ctrl-c how many are browsing the forums right now:
781 (279 members and 502 guests)

The hobby is there... but I'm not really concerned about that. What matters to me is that I enjoy it as much as I do video games, it's a great way to hang out with good friends for a few hours with little equipment set up and the graphics are always fantastic (Just can't beat the Mk.1 Imagination! :) )

I came here to ask you guys, fellow fans of this unique game series, what you might like to see in a RPG that shared similar elements, not if you'd buy it or play it when it is released. All I'd like is in the end once it's finished, if one of you happen to just read it you can think "Yeah, It has set ups so you can work in that part where Lupo lost control" or "They got that mechanic worked into this".
It's will be its own beast and I'm doing a few things that SMT and its spin-offs aren't using just yet. It's "inspired by" and not going to be "the RPG"- as I said, there's an official SMT (and very large) pen n paper RPG in Japan already, where the hobby is far more smaller there than it is here in the US.

If there's any more questions you have about traditional RPGs, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my ability and if you also happen to have a few suggestions for my project, that's fine too. ;)

Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 01:28:56 PM »
Quote from: CountDofChinatown;6379
I still play the pen and paper games with my pals, but they're so boring.  goodnight Some advice I would give when creating a tabletop game, more specifically a Tensei one, would be to build the game around the worlds twisted themes. I'm the DM amongst my friends, but I've never really been with the rules and regulations. So my campaigns are usually pretty story heavy, and the Tensei games have quite a bit of good material to work from. Since you didn't want to worry about the magic system to much, a focus on narrative could be your best bet.

Oh yeah, one thing was I made it so Character Creation only takes no more than 5 minutes once you have an idea for him.

minotaurus
Persona User

View Profile Email
minotaurus phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
If you arent going to do something at PC, it also would be nice a board game like that of warcraft ^^.

minotaurus has 43 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 03:01:58 PM »
Supposedly the next version of Dungeons and Dragons will include a pc counterpart. I'm not sure how extensive the system will be, but it certainly opens the possibilites for you to mod the pc software to your needs. It would be pretty cool if there was a D20 Tensei that could be played online. Similar to Imagine I suppose, but a better story. Of course I am not sure how good the Imagine storyline is because I can't read Japanese.  sadani

Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
There's always room for spin-offs later on. It's worked for Deadlands, Cthulhu and Anima.

Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 03:13:43 PM »
Quote from: CountDofChinatown;6385
Supposedly the next version of Dungeons and Dragons will include a pc counterpart. I'm not sure how extensive the system will be, but it certainly opens the possibilites for you to mod the pc software to your needs. It would be pretty cool if there was a D20 Tensei that could be played online.

From what I understand, you can make an official character online with a portrait designer then play the game with a gaming group that's all over the world. Outside of a few of the more fancy things you can do with this add on (which is a monthly subscription for the service and their online magazine) there's enough free software material you can use already for ANY tabletop RPG to play online.
The product looks also to be very client-server side, so I doubt you can really modify the 4e supplement software.

I've never been a fan of D20 and D&D but 4e looks neat for what it seems to offer, even if the total price tag is tough to swallow for a full game IMHO.

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
What is this 4E you speak of?

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: