DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:36:44 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm making a P&P SMT themed game- looking for suggestions (Read 21332 times)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 03:45:27 PM »
Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition. This is the new version you speak of, due in the middle of this year.

Wirebrain has 17 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the clarification! I suffered from some acronym confusion there. ;P

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 03:46:05 AM »
Any time. All these acronyms gets really confusing at times. I am however making great progress with the story and game elements with the project though.

KoolestLoser
Harmonixer

View Profile Email
k00lestloser
KoolestLoser phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »
I'm a big fan of P&P games myself, I've tried creating a few as well but they're lost do dust and such =P

Anyways, what I always found hard to accomplish was creating a sufficient level of depth in character creation which also allows a new player to come along and understand it from the start.

It's really cool to hear someone's making something like this though.  I've given it some thought myself plenty of times.

KoolestLoser has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 01:53:05 PM »
Quote from: KoolestLoser;6415
I'm a big fan of P&P games myself, I've tried creating a few as well but they're lost do dust and such =P

Anyways, what I always found hard to accomplish was creating a sufficient level of depth in character creation which also allows a new player to come along and understand it from the start.

It's really cool to hear someone's making something like this though.  I've given it some thought myself plenty of times.

Thank you for the kind words. One goal I set out with this project was to make a game ANYONE can pick up and play. Easier said than done, but I removed a good deal of conventional "tropes" in these types of games to make the game offer enough depth to the player to make the character he wants while not bogging it down in "rule flipping" (I.E. "let me borrow the book for a second, I need to see what's the difference between Boxing and Martial Arts") so the story can begin as quickly as possible.

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 04:28:03 PM »
Quote from: Wirebrain;6418
Easier said than done, but I removed a good deal of conventional "tropes" in these types of games to make the game offer enough depth to the player to make the character he wants while not bogging it down in "rule flipping" (I.E. "let me borrow the book for a second, I need to see what's the difference between Boxing and Martial Arts") so the story can begin as quickly as possible.

That one line describes almost every campaign I have ever lead. grinani Initially when my friends and I began to play tabletop games we were new to the rules. I took charge of DM*ing and our first campaign was story heavy, but as my friends learned the rules they began to constantly crunch stats. Now the ratio of story to statistics, flipping is 1:5. (story:stats). I had mentioned that pen and paper became boring for me, and that was the reason why. I am happy to hear your creating a simpler system which embraces what I love, storytelling.
If you need any help you have come to the right community.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 04:31:42 PM by CountDofChinatown »

KoolestLoser
Harmonixer

View Profile Email
k00lestloser
KoolestLoser phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 10:44:48 PM »
I usually DM'd for any table top sessions I ran as well, and the number crunching  usually fell onto my shoulders.  Eventually I took a lighter approach to most situations and tried to simplify how to execute dramatic actions whatever PC's intended.  I found that using the rules as soft guidelines instead made things progress much easier--after all, you're in charge of the world when you're the DM.  

>)

KoolestLoser has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 11:46:59 AM »
I used to get stuck in the role of being the game master, but another guy (the same one who gave me the idea to do this RPG project) in our group now is running our current campaign of OVA (open versatile anime) RPG.
Recently, I've been reading and playing more indie level RPGs, so that might part of the reason why I'm taking the project in this method. I can recommend a few games that more focus on the storylines rather than min/max your character:

Inspectres: It's ghostbusters as a internet start up company! Die rolling on stats allows players to dictate the action. The better you roll, the more control you get. Also I like their "confession" mechanic: A player can do a interview segment like from a Reality TV series and things have to go the way of the confession. Really awesome since a GM doesn't need any prep time.

Bliss Stage: While I haven't really played it yet outside of a short demo by the author, the game is best described as "Evangellion: The RPG". In the future, Only kids and a few messed up adults are left to defend the world from the "Bliss" and the strange aliens that created it with giant robots. It's unique because of its "round robin" style. Players frequently shift roles from their main characters to others, depending on the scene, even the GM's position changes due to actions in game.

Panty Explosion: The title is a little more exploitive than the game itself (the author has a history of making very controversial names for his games- he got a lot of heat releasing "Classroom Deathmatch" around the same time as the Virgina Tech shootings.) players play Japanese Schoolgirls who may or may not have psychic powers and try to survive the Japanese high school system and monsters that prey on the young. I like their "Best Friend/Rival" mechanic, which gives another player the power to tell what the character did- if you did good, your best friend tells what happened and your rival explains any failures.

Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
I have a question that maybe you guys can answer: In my game I'm working on, the monsters that players fight are usually invisible to the average person, until they attack. Can any of you think how the monster attacks, and the fights against player characters, are conducted in a way where it does NOT become common knowledge? (I.E. "Coming up on the 6 o'clock news, a giant monster summoned by young man destroyed the bay bridge after blob attack.")

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »
In DtotheD an enemy cloaked with the Greater Invisibility spell is almost entirely unseen. If you were meaning how they are logically invisible. More along the lines of story and such. Im reminded of Killer7 which had the enemies invisible until scanned. You could treat the enemies as belonging to a digital frequency that players must synchronize with to reveal. Just a little idea.

Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
The player characters can already see (most of) the monsters, it's just the average person who can't see them and/or won't acknowledge their existence.
I suppose what I'm getting at is: What are good tactics or methods that can be employed by the monsters to keep the providers of their food (the spirits of normal people) docile and ignorant until it's too late?

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 03:00:56 PM »
Ahhh! Well any low intelligence npc is unable to see most invisible targets. The monsters could also exist within shadows of the npcs and use traveling people as transports to the next dark area. Alternatively monsters who have devoured a soul can take the form of those absorbed. You could also say that the mosters exist as tools of a corporate organization, and this company has established cloaking towers around cities. Monsters could also freeze time ala Persona 3 and move about during those periods.

Oh and all those Pen and Papers you mentioned sound great! I especially love the shoujo psychic game.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: