DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:02:12 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Current Favorite Anime. (Read 56721 times)
KoolestLoser
Harmonixer

View Profile Email
k00lestloser
KoolestLoser phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 02:42:57 PM »
I didn't mind the DMC Anime at all, and enjoyed it a lot.  I actually liked the fact that the monsters were weak--it's not like end-of-the-world baddies show up 24/7.  It seemed pretty realistic to me, along with the fact that Dante is just to bad ass for these low level guys.  A good filler from DMC 1 to 4.

Current Favorite Anime?  I certainly can't think of my ALL TIME favorite...but I did watch Scrapped Princess recently and it turned out pretty good.  Starts out slow as hell though.  I think I'll start watching Gungrave when I get back to College, but first I hafta finish re-watching Yu Yu Hakusho.

KoolestLoser has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
core010
Exterminator

View Profile Email
core01012000 core01012000
core010 phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 10:19:51 AM »
I liked Yu Yu Hakusho, I never finished it though (I only watched it when it was on Adult Swim). I started watching X/1999 yesterday, but then found out you were supposed to watch the movie first =P So I'm actually going to do that now. It looks pretty interesting. Kinda like how a good reviewer put SMT3: Instead of the end of the world is coming, you must stop it, the plot is "The end of the world already came, now wtf do you do?" X/1999 follows that similarly, except the end of the world doesn't happen instantly, it kind of takes a while, but the characters aren't bothering to try and stop it.

core010 has 8 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 11:25:56 AM »
x/1999 sounds very interesting, I think I will give it a watch

traci has 97 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 11:56:14 AM »
The X movie isnt meant to be watched in companion to the series. In actuality the film is similar to the Escaflowne movie. Which means it is an abbreviated verison of the anime series. If you do watch the movie you will spoil the entire plot of the series in ninety minutes. Repeat, the movie is the series but shorter! My best attempt at preventing an X fan of being ruined by the movie. The film has crisp animation but it pales in all other categories in regards to the series.

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
core010
Exterminator

View Profile Email
core010 phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 05:51:06 PM »
I thought it was already spoiled by the 3rd episode of the Anime. You know, the whole future being told thing. I saw the movie, sorry =/ I liked the story overall, but the movie lacked character development. Very violent though, I like that =P At first I really just wanted to see it because I wanted to get the Tsubasa Chronicle references during Tokyo Revelations (where they go to an alternate universe of X). But now I'm VERY interested. I'm gonna finish the series then watch the OVA. I wish I had seen your post sooner, thanks for trying though.

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 11:09:53 PM »
Hahaha. My post was similar to those moments in film, where the bomb is about to go off and the lead character slo-mo screams, NOOOOOO! Hehe. Yeah the violence in movie is crazy. (The scene involving the piano wire still gets me, haha) My copy of the X move was from a chinese bootleg stand, which I found in Los Angeles Chinatown. The audio on my dvd is four seconds later than the onscreen animation. Good stuff! keke The Tsbusa Chronicles bit with X is pretty cool.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 11:23:44 PM by CountDofChinatown »

traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: January 06, 2008, 02:18:09 PM »
I love bootlegged anime from chinatown, however mine is from Toronto's Chinatown (slightly closer)

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 03:06:10 PM »
I went to Chinatown recently and I realized I could get nearly everything bootlegged there on the Internet =\

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »
that's true, but buying bootlegged you don't need to worry about any of the troubles related to downloading, or getting a torrent with low health, and you don't need to worry about filling up your hd (not a problem for everyone I suppose) also since they have cases and are labeled it's easier to sort/recognize the dvds... but that's just my opinion.

Also sometimes I'm like "OoooooOOooh that one looks fun" *buy*
I've ended up with some good movies/anime and some bad...

aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
Quote from: traci;6482
that's true, but buying bootlegged you don't need to worry about any of the troubles related to downloading, or getting a torrent with low health, and you don't need to worry about filling up your hd (not a problem for everyone I suppose) also since they have cases and are labeled it's easier to sort/recognize the dvds... but that's just my opinion.

Also sometimes I'm like "OoooooOOooh that one looks fun" *buy*
I've ended up with some good movies/anime and some bad...

I was just amazed by the Internet, that's all.

I do agree, that it's more convenient buying it there, then spending time downloading and looking for it.

core010
Exterminator

View Profile Email
core010 phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: January 07, 2008, 07:13:48 PM »
I constantly have to clean my computer after I get down to 2 gigs on my computer (out of 35 total...ain't big). I plan to get some new parts to my computer, including eventually a CD burner so I can burn my anime to CDs.

This isn't exactly anime, but it looked pretty heavily inspired by it. If you haven't seen the movie Battle Royale, go and watch it on youtube NOW (if you can stand blood and a little bit of gore). That movie is freaking awesome. Basic summary: In Japan a new law was passed for some reason (I didn't get that part...) but it required every year some randomly selected Japanese class to participate in Battle Royale. Their teacher kidnaps the students and puts them on a deserted island. They have 3 days, to kill the rest of the students. Each student has an explosive collar on them, and if they are located within a certain zone, or theres more than 1 person alive by the end of the time limit, the collars detonate. It's a really F-ed up movie, but REALLY good as long as you aren't one of those sensitive types who get choked up every time someone mentions Columbine (not saying thats bad...I understand if thats how it is). Theres a 2nd movie but I haven't seen it yet. Both are located on youtube.

CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
 « Reply #26 on: January 07, 2008, 10:10:38 PM »
Another great, and recent, asian film I dug was Nightmare Detective. Sadly finding it online is near impossible to link to you guys. Purchased through good ol` yesasia.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 10:30:42 PM by CountDofChinatown »

Wirebrain
Bauer Bar Addict

View Profile Email
Wirebrain phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »
Quote from: core010;6488

This isn't exactly anime, but it looked pretty heavily inspired by it. If you haven't seen the movie Battle Royale, go and watch it on youtube NOW (if you can stand blood and a little bit of gore). That movie is freaking awesome. Basic summary: In Japan a new law was passed for some reason (I didn't get that part...) but it required every year some randomly selected Japanese class to participate in Battle Royale. Their teacher kidnaps the students and puts them on a deserted island. They have 3 days, to kill the rest of the students. Each student has an explosive collar on them, and if they are located within a certain zone, or theres more than 1 person alive by the end of the time limit, the collars detonate. It's a really F-ed up movie, but REALLY good as long as you aren't one of those sensitive types who get choked up every time someone mentions Columbine (not saying thats bad...I understand if thats how it is). Theres a 2nd movie but I haven't seen it yet. Both are located on youtube.

The second movie is pure garbage, and the novel (which is translated) is far better than the first film. The manga of Battle Royale was written by the novelist in protest over how he wasn't satisfied with the movie, and has a slightly different ending than the book. So if you can, go read the comics. Tokyopop has the series in cheap, collected omnibuses.

Wirebrain has 17 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 12:53:10 AM »
Quote from: Wirebrain;6500
The second movie is pure garbage, and the novel (which is translated) is far better than the first film. The manga of Battle Royale was written by the novelist in protest over how he wasn't satisfied with the movie, and has a slightly different ending than the book. So if you can, go read the comics. Tokyopop has the series in cheap, collected omnibuses.

Yeah, I don't think so. Characters like Kiriyama really ruined the novel, I felt he was better in the movie, because he comes off less like a character created by a 12-year-old or something, and more like a weird sociopath, which is far more realistic than how he's portrayed in the novel. You can understand why they just omitted his backstory completely when they made the movie -- because it's stupid as hell. The movie is better because it omits all the stupid and poorly written backstories.The graphic novels were also pretty bad, but there's nudity, so I guess that's enough incentive for some bother with it. Wasn't enough for me, though. I'd recommend everyone just read the Running Man, the Long Walk, and Lord of the Flies [all of which undoubtedly inspired Battle Royale], and skip over the awful novel and graphic novel.

I agree that the second movie was terrible, though. Jesus Christ. It made zero sense.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 02:01:11 AM »
Lord of the Flies FTW

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: