DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:42:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Personal Persona (Read 24352 times)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: December 15, 2007, 04:23:42 AM »
Quote from: Heat;6223
No. I think it was Seimen Kongou/Shouman Kongou [Starion in the U.S. version]. At least, that's the Persona he's always affiliated with.

Yeah, that was the name. I was sure it wasn't Hanuman. What was the story on Seimen anyone? Was that the same character as in SMT1 during the netherworld sequence after the bomb?

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: December 15, 2007, 04:44:52 AM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;6233
Yeah, that was the name. I was sure it wasn't Hanuman. What was the story on Seimen anyone? Was that the same character as in SMT1 during the netherworld sequence after the bomb?

I don't recall Seimen Kongou being in any game other than the first Persona. This page has information about him. Apparently, he used to cause disease, but then became a deity that protected against disease. Go figure.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 04:48:44 AM by Heat »

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #17 on: December 15, 2007, 05:25:10 AM »
Cool, thanks for the knowledge. Incidentally! I think I came across that website yesterday when trying to figure out what the new Imagine demons all were. Takemikatsuchi specifically. I hate to go offtopic too much, but there was a new shiinjuu demon called Kaichi that looks like a blue sheep with cloud-like wool and a long flowing horn. He is pretty charismatic looking actually. I asked someone if it had been in any other game, and they didn't think so. Kaichi didn't turn up anything really obvious with Google, any ideas?

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: December 15, 2007, 01:14:13 PM »
Kaichi was in older titles, I'm not sure which specifically. He's in the Pandemonium art books, however.

Even assuming it exists elsewhere (not all of the demons in these games do), I've run into many, many problems where names are misspelled (even changed almost completely). There was actually one demon I was putting together for the Demonary where they completely named it the wrong thing, mixing it up with another mythology-based creature entirely. Somehow I found the real name and wrote every thing up. I suppose my point is just that sometimes what they give you isn't even close to right lol

So I don't know. Kaichi is such a common name that it's very difficult to search based upon it. I have some random books about that stuff, I'll have to see if he appears in them.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #19 on: December 16, 2007, 12:28:54 AM »
I'm curious which games of course. I don't recall him. Not by design at least.

I think Megaten generally likes to mix the names around so they are easy to say and sound more like proper names. Plus there is always the Japanese tendancy to use as few syllables as lexically possibe to distinguish borrowed words.

Of course if I ever record his memory in Imagine, it includes a fairly long summary of each demons mythological origins. He does not have a corresponding memory item yet however.

I think I might vaguely recall a similar graphic amongst the DS1&2 graphics.

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: December 16, 2007, 01:01:05 AM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;6250
I think Megaten generally likes to mix the names around so they are easy to say and sound more like proper names. Plus there is always the Japanese tendancy to use as few syllables as lexically possibe to distinguish borrowed words.

Actually, it's probably because the Japanese suck at correctly romanizing shit. And, I'm sure there's not nearly as many good mythological resources in Japanese as there are in English, so I'm sure that contributes to the screw ups.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #21 on: December 16, 2007, 01:54:13 AM »
Yeah, but since the names must ultimately be kanacized in any case, they might as well take other liberties along the way. A lot of it is probably set by past precedents as well, from previous other sources -- pop/literary or psuedo-historical, already part of the broader Japanese zeitgiest.

For the record, I think I generally prefer the Japanese names to western source B or C. For instance, with CuSith and Shisai, I think those are literal names, one Celtic the other Chinese. These are both essentially dogs, I keep both in Imagine. The game names are Kaashii and Shiisaa. Which both happen to sound like actual dog names. I can't say whether this is somewhat intentional on the game's part with an authority. But granted the Japanese tendancy to cute-ify everything, it's probably safe to assume so.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 01:59:28 AM by yksehtniycul »

minotaurus
Persona User

View Profile Email
minotaurus phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 02:16:03 PM »
Hey I love Lucifer, its a great persona! I like him since he was at P2 ep

minotaurus has 43 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 05:11:28 PM »
Inugami is probably my favorite demon. Not neccessarily because of his moves or stats, but I love the design.

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Magoda Delacroix

View Profile
Magoda Delacroix phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: February 06, 2008, 09:36:16 AM »
I like Cuchulainn. He had a pretty cool design in Nocturne and Persona and everything about him screams bad ass spearman. Hes like the Irish equivalent of Yukimura Sanada.

Magoda Delacroix has 6 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lugn

View Profile Email
Lugn phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 03:14:54 PM »
My persona would probably be Odin.

Lugn has 5 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: