DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:40:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Fes in UK (Read 41111 times)
Lord Stevero Kennedy
Strategic Man of Honor

View Profile Email
Lord Stevero Kennedy phones it in,
 « Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 08:27:07 AM »
Unfortunatly, I have to inform you , yksehtniycul that you are dragging this on even more. Neao already tried to end this. HOWEVER, this is not the topic.

I think it's good that the UK will get it. I would like it too, but, i can live without it as well, so, that's cool.

and also, Neao, who Is the charachter in your avatar? I can't see him well.

Lord Stevero Kennedy has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 09:26:02 AM »
I never protested to dragging. Though I prefer to think of it as dredging yarr

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #47 on: September 25, 2007, 07:04:58 PM »
It's Gale from Digital Devil Saga.

And Yksehtniycul, I apologize for going after you for my views on gaming piracy. And any emotional views I put into my posts are probably by accident, though I don't really see it. I just put down my thoughts about what is going on. If the argument leads to a personal strike to another, I would have to respond with a relatively 'personal' post. Though, I highly doubt anything here is truely personal in the first place, other than views someone doesn't have a problem expressing in public. But there was some folly, I feel, on both our parts, anyway.

My view on Fes: It would be ok to have it, but I am content with 100+ hours of content in the first place.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #48 on: September 25, 2007, 10:15:03 PM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;5216
Piracy is a tool, it doesn't make a person greedy or selfish. That is up to the calibur of people.  Even if such a scenario was a technical and unescapible reality, which it could realistically be someday. Atlus would require benifactors to donate to their studios to keep the games coming. Which is actually the way art has been done for the glut of the existence of the human race. When you consciously choose to purchase a game, you are in essence making a donation to Atlus. You can't regulate morality. When a government tries to it only makes people bitter and more likely to take acts like piracy for granted. This has been the case ever since consumer tape recorders hit the scene for example. Industry shit itself over those too, but their profits only soared. Piracy is basically exposure. If the product is good, the people will embrace it. If it is not, piracy is a way of miitigating the false introduction of shotty commodities into the market place.

It is true with console games you can generally rent first. Consider theatrical releases though for example. Reviewers are great, but what if you are a sort of person with completely other values than reviewers.

Piracy also forces the industry business model to catch up with evolving technology. That is the problem the music industry is facing right now. People pirate music, not to be thrifty, but because it is so infinitely more convenient. The industry has to find new delivery mechanisms for music. They are trying, but the price they are asking is still at least three times too much, and the restrictions are absurd, so that industry will continue to grapple with piracy until it catches up with the realities of the 21st century.

Btw, these lengthy ideological posts are largely rhetorical. I enjoy the chance to think through these ethical dilemmas and am  happy to share as long as the question is posed. But please don't mistake observation for an invitation to spar over personal belief systems.

And just for the record, large questioonable institutions like Disney would be the most likely to faulter under the pressures of long term piracy, and are most likely where the heavy handed resistance to piracy originates.

I do think this topic is quite relevant to the thread btw, but I encourage anyone to not persue a personal stake in it.

For the record...I also made the below statement.

When it is right? Maybe if you plan to buy the original product when you can and are broke now it is acceptable or it is the "only way" you can get certain things in your country. I don't think entertainment should be for just a select few but at the same time to do it just for bragging rights or as a status symbol is juvenile and stupid.

Lastly this discussion has nothing to do with the topic which is the UK possibly getting  Persona 3 or the Festival variant. By most rules in a forum people should keep post related to what is being discussed. Piracy has nothing to do with an annoucement that P3 might be coming to the Unitied Kingdom through KOEI.

Personally I'm damn happy with P3 even without the extra content. I'm curious about the new stuff but not so much I feel devastated I did not receive it.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:21:20 PM by nightsavior »

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #49 on: September 25, 2007, 11:18:41 PM »
I didn't bring up the topic of piracy in the context of either thread. Piracy is a relavent, because if you are in the UK, and FES isn't released, or takes too long, then piracy is the only alternative outside of importing, and there really isn't any ethical ambiguity or superiority between either of those options if both are available to you. I prefer to import Japanese titles, but most people shouldn't be forced to play a game etc in a language etc they don't want to. Same goes for FES in the states. That's just bad business, and you can't make an ethical argument that it must be patronized.

offtopic: I apologize btw for earlier complaining about the cryptic title of FES. I see now that those zany Japanese have "FES" printed right on the box!

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 12:12:33 PM »
Well if it is the "only way" UK can get FES I'm not uptight about them pirating it. After all they should get an equal chance to  experience a good rpg as everyone else. Of course I'm hoping that such a drastic measure will not be necessary and KOEI will come through.

Like  I said Piracy is a gray area. It can be  good then again it can be bad and ones intentions and their situation is what defines it as justified or not.

My friend recently had to pirate a game simply because they do not release it anymore and it is impossible to find in stores . He is a very honest person and would gladly  shell out cash for it but that's impossible when  said  product is no longer being manufactured.  

I suppose in a way piracy is relevant to the topic but I still see it as a last resort. Give KOEI a  chance to release it but then if they fail, rip it.

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: