DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:32:54 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Fes in UK (Read 41102 times)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 09:47:05 PM »
Personally, I'm not sure which is better - Persona EP or P3. I'm still deciding. EP's story had something more to it than P3, but P3 is more fum to play through (I'm sorry, but the amount of time you had to grind for Alice in EP was NOT fun).

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 11:12:05 PM »
I agree P3 is a strong game even without the additional Festival content.(Though face it the bonus stuff would sweeten the deal even more.) If Atlus USA "didn't care" we would not have gotten  P3 at all much less the art book or the music cd yksehtniycul. Considering harsh censorship laws here,the religious climate, and a "mature" label it was risky releasing P3 to us. Is this going to turn into a "Atlus USA sucks!" grudge match? I certainly hope not. I hate debates that turn into bigot-brawls. Especially since on my end though I am "American" I would be happy for gamers in the Untied Kingdom if they got Festival.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:16:53 PM by nightsavior »

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: September 11, 2007, 07:03:00 PM »
The amount of games that have been denied to us European gamers is ridiculous. Atlus should just release P3 to us in all it's glory to make up for the lack of releasing any previous Persona.

You read that right - we haven't got one Persona title yet.

*fumes*

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: September 11, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »
Quote from: Neao;5068
There's so much content that even with another Aegis branch, which we don't really need because she plays an extremely pivotal role in the story and we get multiple facets of her personality and major development, it wouldn't really matter. I for one am satisfied with the fact that I played the game for 110 hours on my first play through, got 91% done on the compendium and only maxed out a few S-links. That alone justifies at least 2 more playthroughs to max out other S-links to see how everything else plays out. After that, another S-link and a couple of quirps here and there won't mean much.

Is it that people cannot be satisifed until they know they have everything in the game? Or is it just wanting for the sake of wanting something when you already have enough? I know that P3 is enough for me already, and am in no rush to get FES.

A lot of people who play these sorts of games are completists. Personally I tend to pickup a game like this and either put it down in 30mins, or play to 100% then move on to additions.

As for PAL, I'd assumed a significant portion of European porting was a matter of display resolution, since PAL can display about 20% more game I think. I'm not sure how "Swap Magic" works in that regard, but I intend to look into SM because that might be the way to play that P3 bittorrent. I was once referred to it for ripping PS2 memcards for emulator use. If I have to monkey with my PS2 physically to use it though, I'll likely opt out. As I recall it was just a disc. I wonder if you can just dl the iso, or if something must be bought. Whatever the case its on my todo list now!

Its a shame if NTSC games are always just blownup for PAL. Europeans deserve something for all that waiting and price hiking mickey

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 07:22:22 PM »
Funny how you talk about piracy of this game casually, yet turn around and show some form of sympathy for Europeans when they have to pay extra. Why don't they all just pirate it? Problem solved.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #20 on: September 12, 2007, 10:53:26 AM »
Quote from: Neao;5116
Funny how you talk about piracy of this game casually, yet turn around and show some form of sympathy for Europeans when they have to pay extra. Why don't they all just pirate it? Problem solved.

I've never even played a Megaten game on an emulator (Well I have played MajinTensei emulated for "fastforwarding")

There are many reasons for "pirating" which are benign, and even highly ethical reasons for doing so. For instance, if P3 really blows, you don't want to encourage Atlus to keep making games that way, and you don't want to blindly hand them your money without trying it out first.

It woud cost me about 20$ to dl a bittorrent that size. Where as you can probably rent the game for 4$. Hopefully I wouldn't need that bandwidth. Quit wasting decent peoples time by second guessing their judgment and morals. Now gently place your mouth back around AtlusUSA's...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 06:12:55 AM by yksehtniycul »

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: September 12, 2007, 04:59:23 PM »
Just because I'm against piracy of games, doesn't mean I blow Atlus' localization team's dick.

I highly doubt that pirating a game can't be harmful in anyway. If you can't afford it, or don't want to give 50$ for it, then you should wait till you have enough cash or you shouldn't be playing it in the first place. There is no ethical reason for pirating, there is no mutualism going on. You are basically stealing the developing team's life by pirating it. They took their time to make this game, so pay for it god damn it. It's not the fact of 'if P3 blows' it's that once you've played the emulation, chances are you're not going to buy it. Every time I've bought a game I've liked it. It could be that I was lucky, or that I actually read about the concept of the game from the main site. Even if I didn't like it, there's always a 7 day return policy for opened items.

Man, justifing piracy. That's a real good one.

Augustus Graves

View Profile Email
Augustus Graves phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: September 12, 2007, 07:21:03 PM »
Don't turn my damned thread into a piracy discussion.

I was only suggesting that Koei is our last hope at trying to get Fes in the English language, so we should try and do what we can and let our opinions be heard to them.

Personally, call it shallow all you want, but I want Fes for all the character costumes and the new persona.

Augustus Graves has 4 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 09:21:31 AM »
Quote from: Neao;5134
Just because I'm against piracy of games, doesn't mean I blow Atlus' localization team's dick.

I highly doubt that pirating a game can't be harmful in anyway. If you can't afford it, or don't want to give 50$ for it, then you should wait till you have enough cash or you shouldn't be playing it in the first place. There is no ethical reason for pirating, there is no mutualism going on. You are basically stealing the developing team's life by pirating it. They took their time to make this game, so pay for it god damn it. It's not the fact of 'if P3 blows' it's that once you've played the emulation, chances are you're not going to buy it. Every time I've bought a game I've liked it. It could be that I was lucky, or that I actually read about the concept of the game from the main site. Even if I didn't like it, there's always a 7 day return policy for opened items.

Man, justifing piracy. That's a real good one.

I don't own nor want a US region PS2. Mind your own business.

If I checked, its probably about the right window in which it is sometimes possible to import games for peanuts. But I don't want to give Atlus my money outright, because I suspect the game will be more retarded than not, and I don't want to encourage that. The market doesn't work without informed consumers.

Look at it this way... if I didn't pirate the game, Atlus would definately not be getting my money. If I do pirate it, Atlus might. If that isn't ethical, I don't know what is.

editted: The game can't likely be emulated even at half mast, and would require a monster PC to do so. Plus I don't play games in English, and why invest in a save game which could not be transferred to FES etc?

« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 11:13:38 AM by yksehtniycul »

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: September 13, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »
No, you just don't want to take risks when buying games, which could possibly speak more about you, but who knows?. Then you cover it up by pirating and trying to justify pirating when confronted about it. If you didn't buy a US region PS2, then I don't really know what to say. That was just a bad idea, if you actually live in the US. You have a real skewed way of looking at things. Regardless, import the game or whatever, I just don't really care anymore and won't really respond to the thread. This will just turn into another useless argument where someone doesn't realize they're wrong.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 11:12:08 AM »
Quote from: Neao;5144
No, you just don't want to take risks when buying games, which could possibly speak more about you, but who knows?. Then you cover it up by pirating and trying to justify pirating when confronted about it. If you didn't buy a US region PS2, then I don't really know what to say. That was just a bad idea, if you actually live in the US. You have a real skewed way of looking at things. Regardless, import the game or whatever, I just don't really care anymore and won't really respond to the thread. This will just turn into another useless argument where someone doesn't realize they're wrong.

Mine was only a vane attempt to persuade against being so quick to judge people whom nothing is known, painting broad generalizations which only serve to muck up legitimate conversations. Why wouold I want a US region PS2?

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: September 14, 2007, 07:19:37 PM »
Well, going partially against what I said before about not responding, the red 'new post' icon pulled me into read. I never said you wanted a PS2 or you should get one, I said it was a bad idea if you live in the US and to only own a PS2 that isn't even US coded, read the post before you reply.

I didn't really judge you as a person. You said you pirated games, I used that and chose my stance on it. I really didn't have any thoughts about you as a human being other than you liked to pirate games and not shell out the money to get a real copy the way Atlus intended you to get it, import or not. But whatever dude, I can't stop you from pirating, go pirate all the stuff you want.

nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: September 14, 2007, 08:45:41 PM »
Lycanthroat is right. UK gets gyped a lot. Making Europeans pay more is retarded as is "pal versions" working differently. I remember years ago one of my aussie friends thought about getting me FF8 for my birthday and then she found out she could not because it "ran differently" and yes, it was very expensive.

Getting Persona Festival might make up for some of the crappy moments in gaming the UK has likely experienced in the past.

I'm still not fond of outright piracy or rather justifying it but then again I imagine if some gamers know they'll never get their favorite games it might become more  tempting. That in mind however, I know for a fact even "if" Japan sent Europeans more titles certain slimey individuals would find another excuse to justify ripping games . You'll always have a niche group of people that are out for themselves and getting stuff for free no matter how much it penalizes the innocent consumers or hurts a certain company.

There's a difference between "pirating" because someone is broke and normally wouldn't be able to get that special something that improves their life versus "pirating" simply because they can do it and think it is "cool". As with anything in life the integrity of character is measured by motive and the situation.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 09:36:36 PM by nightsavior »

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #28 on: September 14, 2007, 11:53:43 PM »
Discussing "pirating" and noncorporeal products in the same breath is pretty absurd. Nevertheless, the closest I've ever personally come to "pirating" a video game is downloading GBA roms. I just don't do portables, but you can call that an excuse if you like.  

When you are buying a game, as far as any kind of realistic capitalism is concerned, you are buying a box, manual, and medium etc (a game isn't capital)

Piracy and hackers are a vital part of any kind of true market driven capitalism. Blindly denouncing "piracy" and exalting publishers to the level of saints makes you a bad consumer, which is anti-capitalist, which is anti-american if you want to be so pejoratively polemical.

A game is a virtual commodity. Well the version of the game you can download that is. P2P is no different than the public library system (except that it avoids serious realities such as fuel and floorspace)

A publisher with a favorable fanbase like Atlus has nothing to fear and can only gain. Only formless and abusive entities need fret -- video game wise you have your EAs and SquareEnixes etc.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 12:03:55 AM by yksehtniycul »

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: September 15, 2007, 04:55:35 PM »
Piracy is both vital and non-vital to capitalism. Pirating just redirects where the money you would spend goes to. Which in turn takes money away from a company that SHOULD have gotten the money. So, with people doing this at mass, it actually turns into a mass form of regulation. Which is what capitalism strives to get away from. So really, there is no true market driven capitalism, I don't really know what you were referring to.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: