DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:07:32 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Slow start? A bit worried. (Read 12325 times)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « on: August 20, 2007, 03:01:32 PM »
I've been looking online for more "gamer opinions" on P3 but hardly can find any. At IGN there are only 2 reader reviews(one by me) and despite general acceptance by the critics the game seems to be having a slow  start in popularity. This saddens me. I hate to  sound like a  fan boy but P3 is the absolute best rpg I've played in many years. Last couple of nights I played it from 9:00 in the evening to 8:00 in the morning. If the gaming populace passes this by and Atlus suffers financial difficulties because of the general ignorance of consumers and vendors world wide I'll lose alot of faith.

Regardless if someone has seen other "positive" posts or reviews from other people that have P3 let me know here! azn

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 04:16:20 PM »
I'm sure fan reviews will pick up... largely because I would hope anyone who picked this up on the 14th would realize that they couldn't have gotten far enough to have a full picture of the game to do a review for lol. We'll see.

I think that'll change exponentially as time goes on.

I have actually seen more posts about this game on random forums than any other recent SMT-related title.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 04:30:53 PM »
I agree.

I haven't seen much complaints on the other forums I visit,which is really good.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
ShinByakki
Persona User

View Profile
ShinByakki phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 04:34:29 PM »
If it manages to catch more attention than we expect or if stores lack copies of P3 in, I think this a good start to get ATLUS interested in translating FES.
Only time will tell.

ShinByakki has 110 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 04:37:51 PM »
Yup,that is true.

It's up to them...

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 04:41:54 PM »
I didn't encounter anything "negative" either which makes me feel a little better. Right now a lot of  people show interest though they have hardships finding a copy of P3. I'm so glad I pre-ordered!

I also think P3 has a lot of appeal that can extend far past a small cult following. The characters are very likable and the game deals with real life issues that effect everyone.  It's not the usual "abstract" and "strange" dystopia atmosphere that put people off to the other megaten games. There's a "darker" vibe but it is  pleasantly off-set by the upbeat music and emphasis on social interaction. For once there are NPCs in an rpg I give a  damn about just as much as the main characters. king

Sepherest

View Profile Email
Sepherest phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 04:04:10 PM »
So far I've only seen one negative review of it, and it was on Amazon.com. A person gave the game one star because they didn't like how the main characters shoot themselves in battle and that it could influence teens to commit suicide.
 But besides that, every other review I've seen by people that played the game were pretty good.

Sepherest has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Error

View Profile Email
Error phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 05:04:12 PM »
this game reception has been really good, on a forum I frequently visit, where I made the game's official thread, none has complained about the game and everyone seems to be really into it. I guess people are just too busy playing to sit down and write a review? ;p

this game is really something special. probably my favorite megaten game of the PS2 releases, I put it above nocturne myself makes me want FES even MORE :(

Error has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 06:48:07 PM »
I saw some people slamming it for being one part Dating Sim and one part dungeon crawl. I always think "dungeon crawl" is a  redundant criticism in rpgs  because they all have labyrinths with monsters in which the player has to fight to level up. As  for the "dating sim" remark it is  not as if  you focus solely on getting laid. Most of  your evolving  friendships have nothing to do with sex or romance.

To me GTA San Andreas was an rpg dating sim only with more focus on action gameplay. The only distinct difference that it has from Persona 3 is that unlike a school atmosphere it has a ghetto gangsta atmosphere. However it still encourages you to establish friendships and hit on chicks. Ironic that  people that love one of the two games would likely hate the remainder.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 06:50:16 PM by nightsavior »

Kryuzei

View Profile Email
Kryuzei phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 05:21:17 AM »
Gamefaqs got a 6/10 score for this game #_# They said that the music sucks . Well, its upt to them right ? ^^;
Btw, I also got a slow start. . Wonder if the game is too heavy for my PS2 -_-;;
So far I've only seen one negative review of it, and it was on Amazon.com. A person gave the game one star because they didn't like how the main characters shoot themselves in battle and that it could influence teens to commit suicide.
Lol, it really is a problem, but I don't think its that exclipcit .

So. . It is not an illusion after all. . It's. .Really. . Hurts. . . Isn't it. .?

Kryuzei has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 11:00:22 PM »
The music track is not typical for rpgs. Then  again most rpgs now are futuristic or fantasy whereas P3 is modern. The music fit the game like a nice suit. It is the type of music "teenagers" would get into and they still have the more epic tracks thrown in to the mix such as "Battle Hymn of the soul" . Sure FF 12 might have more musical scores overall but that's because SE has more money to throw around then Atlus. It's weird because I went into playing P3 thinking "I hate J-pop , I hate hip-hop, and I hate most techno" yet every track was endearing to me somehow. I found  that to be weird but went with the flow.

As for  the "evokers" they  differentiate the qualities between them and real guns right away. However it is still kinda weird seeing the protagonists put a  "gun like object" against their heads and pull the trigger. As a parent I suppose I would be a  bit worried about that kind of symbolism if  say one of my children had bouts of major depression and delusional whimsy.

amnefarius

View Profile Email
amnefarius phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: October 01, 2007, 10:19:20 PM »
I'm not too worried about Atlus losing money over this game. They aren't that indie of a publisher/developer. They have been shelling out the games lately and they're all good (except deep labyrinth).

amnefarius has 16 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
DemonAtmaNizzo

View Profile Email
DemonAtmaNizzo phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 04:48:05 PM »
This was #1 RPG seller for quite a long time on Amazon. It's not as if people haven't played it compared to other Megaten games.

DemonAtmaNizzo has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: