DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:23:11 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions on Persona 3's Soundtrack? (Read 31968 times)
The13thChyld
The Androgyne

View Profile Email
The13thChyld
The13thChyld phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »
You're certainly not alone. I kept the sound muted throughout 90+% of the game's duration, I would not have been able to tolerate playing through it at all otherwise. For all the game's problems, the music is surely the single most hilariously awful aspect.

"Disposable" is a worthy description for the whole of P3.

Life is like an illusion, like a dream waiting to be awakened.

The13thChyld has 41 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 09:40:24 AM »
Was the term "eldritch" actually adopted by the game that way?

Whatever happened to the BGM option?

editted: Someone could hack the soundtrack. It wouldn't be difficult at all I'd think. I might even do it myself, if I decide to play it.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 09:46:53 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Lugn

View Profile Email
Lugn phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »
I dislike Persona 3's soundtrack.I grew tired of listening to the same lousy songs loop over and over again.

Lugn has 5 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
I didn't think they meshed very well with the game. Some of the songs were good - I liked the new Velvet Room BGM (I still love Revelations' one more) and the final boss theme was a clever play on that theme, but some of the music was pretty alienating unless you happen to like J-Pop and J-Hip Hop. Unfortunately I despise the two, but I managed with P3's soundtrack. I hope they make P4's music along the lines of Eternal Punishment (in terms of style) and I hope they don't continue along the same main character-in-high-school vein. I personally liked the "outsider" view on high schools that was present in EP.

It's not like the music was crap (in my opinion), it was just a poor choice in terms of theme for the game.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: March 14, 2008, 11:24:36 PM »
Glad I'm not alone at least.  I just couldn't believe there wasn't one initial dissenting opinion...

Music is a pretty nebulous topic though, I mean one man's crap is another man's treasure, there really is no accounting for taste.  P3 was just trying way too hard to be contemporary/appealing with their soundtrack which is understandable to a point but makes for an entirely unlistenable experience.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 01:08:26 AM »
Quote from: DevilRy;7057
Music is a pretty nebulous topic though, I mean one man's crap is another man's treasure, there really is no accounting for taste.cloud9

That's why we have good taste and bad taste :group

Don't puss out just cause you don't get it :whistle:

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 02:22:10 AM »
Who's the arbiter of what's good and bad taste though?  Some prefer snails and some prefer oysters and some prefer both, we've all seen Spartacus (hopefully).

I still think the music in P3 is crap, I just don't want to catch hellfire (pretty avoidable on this board though) for thinking thus.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 12:22:27 PM »
Well I'd rather not get into dissecting this line of thinking... especially cause I'd be inevitablly be accused of seriousness. In short, "taste" is a function of brain chemistry/wiring whatever you wanna call it. So yeah, its subjective. But saying a piece of music can't be judged good or bad, is akin to suggesting Manson woke up on the wrong side of the bed.

The universe is a nebulous place but that doesn't mean its inhospitable.

People can be conditioned to pay for anything and like it, but that doesn't make it fine and dandy either.

The problem of music is for the truly uninitiated there is so much sentimentality embroiled in it. It takes too much introspection for most to divorce yourself from social conditioning and listen to music as it truly is.

I can't personally fully indulge in just any kind of music, but I'm confident I can listen to any piece from any genre/culture and decide whether it is objectively listenible/applicable or not within some broad margin or error -- presuming the listener's mental landscape vaguely coincides with reality (in the broadest sense of that word)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:26:18 PM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 07:01:47 PM »
I didn't say you couldn't judge music to be good or bad, I just said it's impossible  for that judgment to be valid since there's no good or bad that applies the same  to everyone.  It's like someone from LA saying, "This weather is terrible," and an Inuit saying, "This weather is great," when its 5 below and snowing out.

I don't think it's necessary to be introspective to enjoy music either, though I know it helps with certain genres.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 07:42:51 PM »
Quote from: DevilRy;7067
I didn't say you couldn't judge music to be good or bad, I just said it's impossible  for that judgment to be valid since there's no good or bad that applies the same  to everyone.  It's like someone from LA saying, "This weather is terrible," and an Inuit saying, "This weather is great," when its 5 below and snowing out.

I don't think it's necessary to be introspective to enjoy music either, though I know it helps with certain genres.

Well of course I'd have to disagree with the basic sentiment of this notion. As for Californians vs. Inuits, your basically making a statement of degree. Or at the most sentiment (familiarity), which is not the same thing as good/bad (right/wrong) ...but I'm not so low brow to pick at a reaching analogy.

I dunno, the nature of this thread is rife for philisophical debate despite that I've really not been in any position to evaluate P3 outside of having listened to the battle theme once.

I could see how it might've flown in Japan. But I would never imagine a NA release with this particular soundtrack intact. That never would've happened only a few years ago. Its a fusion of so many music forms based in deep American heritage completely bastardized and overdubbed with so much belated belted out engrish. Don't get me wrong, I'm as big a fan of the catchy English one liner theme song formula as the next guy. The bread-and-butter of 80s anime music stylings. But more than five tone-deaf english words in any piece of jpop rightly so deserves to be mocked from the rafters. Especially if it sets foot on these shores.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 08:28:11 PM »
Right vs. wrong/good vs. bad is a statement of degree.  Of course Manson didn't just wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but he wouldn't have done what he did if he thought what he was doing was wrong now, would he?  And you can't exactly knock me for "stooping," to analogy when you essentially did the exact same thing.  mickey

Following your logic assumes that there's some sort of arbitrary consensus for what's good and what's bad.  The distinction between goods and evils is a personal one.

Not to say I don't completely agree with you about the soundtrack.

QBasic
Wildlife Jackass

View Profile Email
QBasic phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 08:29:58 PM »
Quote from: DevilRy;7061
Who's the arbiter of what's good and bad taste though?  Some prefer snails and some prefer oysters and some prefer both, we've all seen Spartacus (hopefully).

I still think the music in P3 is crap, I just don't want to catch hellfire (pretty avoidable on this board though) for thinking thus.

The fact that you've *seen* Spartacus and are referring to it proves you have "bad taste." dazed

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car. " ~A Very Wise Man

QBasic has 159 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 08:35:50 PM »
Quote from: QBasic;7070
The fact that you've *seen* Spartacus and are referring to it proves you have "bad taste." dazed

What?  That movie's a classic.:lurk:

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
Quote from: DevilRy;7069
Right vs. wrong/good vs. bad is a statement of degree.  Of course Manson didn't just wake up on the wrong side of the bed, but he wouldn't have done what he did if he thought what he was doing was wrong now, would he?  And you can't exactly knock me for "stooping," to analogy when you essentially did the exact same thing.  mickey

I was knocking myself for digging deeper into an analogy than was obviously appropriate. What is with the Mickey emote btw? A custom emote for taunting me? Or am I missing out on something?

Following your logic assumes that there's some sort of arbitrary consensus for what's good and what's bad.  The distinction between goods and evils is a personal one.

Not to say I don't completely agree with you about the soundtrack.

Everyone knows there is a consensus for good/bad even if they don't really comprehend it / grasp the detail. To say otherwise any sane person would give you a dubious look. Its no different with music. There is no opposite culture out there. There is archetypes built into music and all forms of communication which are derived from axioms of reality/the very nature of being that probably transcend all concepts of artifice. You can't say 1 is arbitrary, nor is good music. Of course we discuss music, but really this a conceit of all art or even judgment.

I'm not suggesting you have to be introspective to enjoy music. Perhaps quite the opposite. Chances are though if you're not you'll attach yourself to a particul imprinting of what music means at some point in your life and never be able to enjoy good music which comes from other venues. This association of music is really tied to sex/attraction, where as the alternative way to enjoy music derives pleasure  indirectly from the rush of intellectual understanding.

Ultimately the measure of good music/art is the interest quotient, or how much is inspires you to think. And if you want a pure objectification, the measure is the degree it inspires god to think (where in god is defined as an all knowing/understanding singularity, or like a man that knows everything possible)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 09:12:48 PM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #29 on: March 16, 2008, 05:42:40 PM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;7072
I was knocking myself for digging deeper into an analogy than was obviously appropriate. What is with the Mickey emote btw? A custom emote for taunting me? Or am I missing out on something?

Nah, the Mickey emote is in the smilies bar...  emeyesee-kayeeewhy-emohyouesseeeeeeeee  

Everyone knows there is a consensus for good/bad even if they don't really comprehend it / grasp the detail. To say otherwise any sane person would give you a dubious look.

Well of course that's debatable, I mean the only consensus that exists for good and evil is an arbitrary one of temporary attitudes and cultural movements relative to the times in which they are experienced.  And really your response is so dismissive...  The easiest and often most immediate reaction of people whose fundamental beliefs are challenged is to question the sanity of the challenger.

Its no different with music. There is no opposite culture out there. There is archetypes built into music and all forms of communication which are derived from axioms of reality/the very nature of being that probably transcend all concepts of artifice. You can't say 1 is arbitrary, nor is good music. Of course we discuss music, but really this a conceit of all art or even judgment.

I didn't say there was an opposite of culture, I'm saying that culture itself is nebulous and transitory.  And though I think what Freud and Jung had to say about cultural archetypes to be entertaining, it's essentially fiction and self-delusion to think that these archetypes could provide some sort of compass or insight into the nature of a broad-based and applicable (to the whole of the natural world) definition of right and wrong.

I'm not suggesting you have to be introspective to enjoy music. Perhaps quite the opposite. Chances are though if you're not you'll attach yourself to a particul imprinting of what music means at some point in your life and never be able to enjoy good music which comes from other venues. This association of music is really tied to sex/attraction, where as the alternative way to enjoy music derives pleasure  indirectly from the rush of intellectual understanding.

Attaching personal meanings to life (and naturally, music) is what being a human being is all about.  Sure I suppose listening to music (or experiencing any sort of art really) can be a transcendent experience but you certainly can't expect this of a casual listener, or anyone that's not a completely dedicated listener.  Experiencing music is an intensely personal experience, and everyone's experiences are essentially different, though perhaps not mutually exclusive.

Ultimately the measure of good music/art is the interest quotient, or how much is inspires you to think. And if you want a pure objectification, the measure is the degree it inspires god to think (where in god is defined as an all knowing/understanding singularity, or like a man that knows everything possible)

But see that's your own personal take on it.  It has nothing to do with culture as a whole or objectivity in any sense really.  Meanings and preferences are your own personal attitudes, not a generalized consensus to arbitrate judgments of a cultural good and evil.  Music, like all forms of communication and art, is existential.  Thus any sort of label ascribed to them, other than a personal one of course, is necessarily faulty.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: