DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:05:00 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favorite Megami Tensei Game (Read 36488 times)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « on: August 14, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
Now I'm not talking favorite sub-franchise, I'm talking individual game, how or why it's your favorite, and anything else you can think of to throw in there.

Mine used to be Tsumi, but I find that Digital Devil Saga 2 was really my favorite.  The first one was great as well, but there was something about the second one that seemed to outshine the first.  The DDS system is just elegantly simple, the storyline is actually comprehensible (you have to admit, most of the Megaten games tend to go a little off the deep end), and the characters don't come off as total archetypes and have motivations outside of saving the world.

I'm also not a huge fan of the "collect-them-all" type mentality in other SMT titles.  Yes the demons are cool, but the hassle of trying to fuse the right ones together without a guide is fairly tedious, especially since that method seems to change drastically from game to game.  With DDS you didn't have to worry about it and you get to build characters which I think is more fun than ditching your nakama after they've outlived their usefulness.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 05:33:58 PM »
My favorite Megaten game is Persona 2: Batsu since was my first megaten game. And if I need to decide a second one I´ll say Shin Megami Tensei: If... because it´s the origin of Persona games. And I think when I have Persona 3, I´ll change my mind and say that P3, is the best one. And I too have Avatar Tuner 2, but I haven´t play it, because I need to finish Nocturne first.

I like all the Megaten franchise, and I´m the type of guy who wants to collect all the titles of this awesome franchise.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:46:12 PM »
I don't mind the "collect-them-all",but I agree with DDS being able to organize your characters.

Kind of hard to say...Nocturne was the one that brought me into the series,where I was hooked to it for hours on end.During the time,I haven't had an RPG get me that addicted in a Long time,and I thank Nocturne for that.

DDS I really loved,I like both games..but I'm going to have to go with the first game,just the introduction of the world you are in,really amazed me.

So far,I've only played Be Your True Mind,and the story was pretty good,but I think I might like P3 even more.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »
Is there any controversy over whether Batsu should be pronounced Bachi instead? Same kanji, but Bachi more specifically refers to punishment for sin vs. crime according to many of my references.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:20:12 AM »
I'd have to say mine would have to be a tie between Nocturne, DDS1 and 2. I liked them all on the same level, which was a level above most RPGs I've played in a while.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
nightsavior phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:04:17 PM »
I was "introduced" to the series through Revelations Persona. While it was glitchy I liked the unique setting and change from fantasy to modern day.

Next up I got Digital Devil 1 and 2. I immediately loved the story direction and characters though it came off as a very linear level grinding experience. While it blew away final fantasy 10 I still put Shadow-hearts covenant on top as my favorite rpg of that 2 year  arch.

Fast forward to now and I have  Persona 3. Atlus has blown my mind. Rather then give me a linear dungeon crawl they put destiny in my hands and gave me many variables on how the story progresses + NPCS I actually care about. Hands down  it is not only the best MegaTen game for me but also the best RPG on my PS-2.

nightsavior has 156 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Xerit

View Profile Email
Xerit phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 09:59:53 PM »
Hmm....
tough choice.
For me it's a tie between Digital Devil Saga 2 and SMT: Nocturne.
I greatly enjoyed the stories of both: DDS2 for the technology-caused apocalypse and quantum physics concepts woven in, and Nocturne for the concept of not only individual, but universal metapsychosis.

I just started Imagine today, but I've alredy got a high opinion of it, just because it allows me to "exist" in the setting of the original two.

Call it what you will;
A blessing from God or a curse from the Demon King.
The fact remains that our world came to an end.
-The Journal of a Man Who Wandered Into Another World.

Xerit has 8 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:53:25 PM »
I wanna try imagine but am too hesitant because of it being in japanese, and I don't wanna get horribly lost=/

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 10:56:40 PM »
Imagine is an excelent game, and of course you get lost sometimes, but I have play many other Megaten titles in Japanese and I think with the time you can deal with it.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Xerit

View Profile Email
Xerit phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 07:18:24 PM »
I was worried about getting lost too.
Thankfully, the tutorial section gives plenty of visual aides.
I still don't understand a word of negotiations, but since the end of the demon's response shows their attitude (and exclamation point for surprise, a question mark for curiosity, a musical note for happyness, and you taking damage for anger) it's only moderately confusing

Call it what you will;

traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: August 26, 2007, 11:37:51 AM »
mmmm.... well I loved Digital Devil saga 2( And digital Devil Saga 1 by association... I suppose).
But I also really liked the more action based battles in Devil Summoner, actually it was more of a love-hate relationship because you don't need as much strategy or tactics for those battles as you do in traditional Megaten style battles and I always enjoyed that factor.

Overall though; it would definitely be Nocturne, simply because of the depth of the game, multiple endings, gameplay and all the side options.

traci has 97 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 06:11:23 PM »
I really want Nocturne but like any MegaTen title it didn't stay available to the masses very long. Sure I could pay top dollar on ebay but it's not in my budget currently and I'm glad I got Persona 3 at the very least. If I hear wind of Nocturne 2 I'll be smart and pre-order this time.

traci

View Profile Email
traci phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 09:42:49 PM »
Nocturne was Shin Megami Tensei 3, I don't think they would Make Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne 2.....
But... maybe :-\

traci has 97 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
nightsavior

View Profile Email
 « Reply #13 on: August 28, 2007, 12:09:56 AM »
Well in America  it would likely be called Nocturne 2 though  the very first Shin Megami versions were on the old nes and snes. It's the same as Final fantasy. What was FF3 for us in the states was FF 6 in Japan. Eventually I hope they send us P3 Fes but I'm not 100% counting on it. Guess I'm a bit of a pessimist. lol. However P3 did great review  wise so maybe Atlus will realize extra profit can be had.

Xerit

View Profile Email
Xerit phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: August 28, 2007, 05:55:50 PM »
Nah, they'll just call it Shin Megami Tensei 4, or whatever the subtitle for four may happen to be. After all, I think most the players know full well that Nocturne was the third in the series, and SE has re-numbered their games to fit the original japanese order, so that's not the best example to go by.

On a side note, I believe SMT:4 has been announced for PS3.
Now I'll actually have to buy the damn thing.

Call it what you will;

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: