DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:14:27 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 Question Thread (Read 44686 times)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « on: July 31, 2007, 11:22:40 PM »
I figured I'd make this thread to answer general questions about the game. I'm finding that a lot of people still have things they want to know that remain unanswered by others.

So if there's something you want to know about the game, how it works, general tips or whatever else, just ask them here. I'll answer them the best I can.

mickey

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 07:37:22 AM »
I want to know if the only way to earn new Personas, is after battle. Or is like other Persona games, that Igor exchange them to you for tarot cards?

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Tetsuya
Wicked Apple

View Profile Email
Tetsuya phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 08:05:33 AM »
Will you send me your review copy? :PP

And seriously - are there any connections with past Persona games storywise? For example - is Igor refering to heroes of past Persona games when he says to silent protagonist on his first visit in Velvet Room about not seeing guests for a long time?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:09:45 AM by Tetsuya »

Labyrinth of sympathy in which I'm lost and can't leave
And too much truth overshadows the lime lies
Cos' what lies beneath the clouds is an
Altered perception and I'll pay for sanity
But sanity don't come cheap

Tetsuya has 39 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 09:22:30 AM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;3922
I want to know if the only way to earn new Personas, is after battle. Or is like other Persona games, that Igor exchange them to you for tarot cards?

Both. You start out with one, so essentially gaining them through Shuffle is the only way to expand your deck at first. This essentially replaces having to talk to enemies in order to gain Tarot cards, such as in Persona 2.

You can then fuse together 2 or more Personae when you're in the Velvet Room

Quote from: Tetsuya;3923
Will you send me your review copy? :PP

And seriously - are there any connections with past Persona games storywise? For example - is Igor refering to heroes of past Persona games when he says to silent protagonist on his first visit in Velvet Room about not seeing guests for a long time?

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rambo:

Anyway... I've not seen any real connections. [SPOILER]You could construe that Igor is referring to them specifically, but I really can not say at this point. There is that MMORPG that makes some references to older titles, but obviously it's just for fun.[/SPOILER]

Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 09:34:13 AM »
Difficulty?

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 10:45:44 AM »
Quote from: Stack Bundles;3926
Difficulty?

Normal is manageable. It's not as hard as Nocturne by a long shot and I think the One More Turn system is a bit more forgivable just by its nature.

I've died several times. There are situations where I found myself simply having the wrong Persona equipped, get ambushed by an enemy and they just take care of your weakness over and over again. If your main character is knocked down when his turn comes up, you can't make any new decisions... I've been completely screwed this way a few times now. You might also find yourself slightly unprepared for bosses, but it's mostly a matter of leveling up yourself and figuring out which Persona to use.

Status effect spells cannot be stacked either. So if you use some random -kaja spell, it'll last three rounds and the disappear. This eases up things a bit too.

It's harder than maybe the average mainstream RPG, I suppose. I don't want to give the impression that it's not challenging, either (getting some of the Requests taken care of help bump this up a bit). So far I'd basically just say it's middle of the road.

Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:48 PM »
So you get a game over your main character dies, right?

Also, how would you say you like it compared to the other SMT's you've played?

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
 « Reply #7 on: August 01, 2007, 12:49:26 PM »
Hard difficulty it is, then.

Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 01:16:22 PM »
It doesn't have a hard mode.

Tony
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 02:48:36 PM »
Easy and Normal are it. I don't think even SMT veterans are simply going to breeze through the game on Normal, though. Not to mention that every thing points to it being long. On average, a month of time has taken me 6 to 10 hours, I would say, excluding dying and restarting. If it keeps up that pace we're probably talking a good 70+ hours.

In Normal if you die, that's it. You have to reload a save. I believe Easy allows you to continue up to 10 times over the course of the game without reloading, but I've not personally played it.

As for liking it, it's certainly better than Devil Summoner and DDS. I liked both of those games to a degree (DDS moreso than Devil Summoner, but both were pretty average), but Persona 3 is just far superior to them. Based on my playtime, I'd say it's one of the best RPGs on the system altogether. It's pretty different from other games throughout the franchise, including previous Persona titles, but that's just it... it's different. Some people might take this to be a bad thing, but I think most of the changes work out very well (I think anyone is going to miss the demon conversations, though... as they were always the most developed in this series). I don't even have many complaints about the AI, as much as it surprises me.

Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 03:11:16 PM »
Glad you're enjoying it Tony.

I can understand why you'd call DDS and DS average, but I still enjoyed those a good amount. I think that DDS was an excellent take on the more traditional rpg, and I greatly prefer it to all the other more traditional rpgs on the system. That said, I can understand why an SMT fan can find DDS to be lacking.

Devil Summoner was an interesting and fun game, but very experimental. Some of its experiments worked, but for the most part it felt like a pretty flawed experimental game. Persona 3 comes off as experimental itself, but the difference there is that where DS failed, it appears that P3 has succeeded.

Can't wait.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:15:32 PM by Himuro »

Error

View Profile Email
Error phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »
sounds great it's been awhile since I play a very long game and got very into it. hopefully p3 grabs me the same way nocturne did back then.

Error has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 05:24:09 PM »
Yeah, it's been a whle for me too.

Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:46 PM »
Quote from: Himuro;3934
I can understand why you'd call DDS and DS average, but I still enjoyed those a good amount. I think that DDS was an excellent take on the more traditional rpg, and I greatly prefer it to all the other more traditional rpgs on the system. That said, I can understand why an SMT fan can find DDS to be lacking.

After playing DDS 1, I can say without hesitation that I enjoyed it a great deal. This is one of the few games, that I'm willing to play again right after I beat it (I'm at the end, just doing sidequests), that and I want the bonuses in DDS2. I liked Nocturne at about the same level as DDS1.

You got me really excited tony, thanks for the info.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
 « Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:58 PM »
Quote from: Himuro;3932
It doesn't have a hard mode.

That sucks.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: