DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:57:02 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Dragon (Read 13169 times)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « on: July 29, 2007, 01:08:47 AM »
Anybody played this yet?  

And a better, follow-up question: Is it true that the 360 doesn't have region encoding?

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
CountDofChinatown
Crazed Petstore Owner

View Profile Email
CountDofChinatown phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 01:29:56 AM »
Unable to answer the first of your questions, but on the second question. Yep, 360's don't feature region locks so you can play those few good Japanese xbox games. (Idolm@ster) Blue Dragon recieved an awesome famitsu score and media coverage has been positive. Definite purchase for me!

CountDofChinatown has 56 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tokubetsu EX
O' God, The Aftermath

View Profile Email
duomaxwell32@hotmail.com Tokubetsu EX
Tokubetsu EX phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:47:16 AM »
I believe there are a list of games at www.play-asia.com that tell you whether or not certain games are compatible with EU and NA 360's. Blue Dragon has a nice combat system but from the demo I played, it suffers from frame rate problems. The story doesn't seem very interesting to me either.

Some Things Just Never Burn, Some Giants Just Never Fall.

Tokubetsu EX has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »
I've also read that the story is pretty dull. I'm still going to give it a rent through Gamefly.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 11:13:47 AM »
Play Asia's copies aren't compatible with US hardware, so says their website.  Unfortunate too since the import price is soooooo low right now.

I freaking love everything that Akira Toriyama does with the one exception being  DBZ.  Dragon Quest VIII wasn't that great either but I played all the way through nonetheless.  I guess I'm just a sucker for his sense of aesthetics.

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:55:42 PM »
Talking about other games, have you played DBZ Legends, that´s a cool game!

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:37:35 PM »
Never really got into DBZ.  I liked Dragon Ball fine, but Z didn't really hold my interest much.

DemonAtmaNizzo

View Profile Email
DemonAtmaNizzo phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:13:31 PM »
Iunno, I don't really like his women. They all look like axe murderers.

DemonAtmaNizzo has 72 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 09:12:08 AM »
Dragon Quest - Journey of the Cursed King had a pretty piss-poor storyline and a SLOW battle system. It was a little bit weird that Jessica had loads of skimpy costumes but the males had none - and her ultimate costume was a dominatrix (sp?). A bit......alienating for me.

Plus, the blonde haired girl in Blue Dragon looks very like Jessica but with blonde hair and a different outfit. I never liked Toriyama's art that much anyway (I thought it would grow on me, but alas) and the character designs look pretty uninspired. I absolutely hate the lead's design. He looks like a bloody NPC!

I don't think it's the game that will make me rush out and buy a 360 to be honest.

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 06:43:16 PM »
My brother already went out and bought a 360 but I don't really like any of the games for it.  Oblivion is pretty nice, but I much prefer the simplicity of your standard turn-based, and I can't say I dig the whole "Lord of the (Bo)Rings"-style they went with it.

For me there's a nostalgia factor there associated with Toriyama's art and everything I've seen so far makes it seem like it's like a lost chapter to the original Dragon Ball.  As for the characters being "uninspired..."  Some could say the same about the characters in the new Persona 3 game... But I won't.  Far be it from me to harsh everyone's buzz.

Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 08:47:42 PM »
Oh, don't misunderstand. I can see why people like Tori's art, it's just not my cup of tea. His characters just never look.....detailed enough for me. The huge eyes and basic clothing I just never liked. It's prolly because I like the Magna Carta-style art which some say is the direct opposite (proportioned, ultra-realistic bodies, gothic design, stupidly elaborate clothing etc).

Have you seen the jumping animation in Oblivion? It's hilarious.

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 10:47:59 AM »
The animation in Oblivion for your main character is just plain awful. The rest of the game is decent, even if the main quest is pretty lackluster. I enjoyed my time with it. Bethesda is also working on Fallout 3, which I'm very much looking forward to.

Personally, I love my 360, but if you're looking for turnbased RPGs of any sort none of the newer systems are worthwhile yet. The oddest thing is that by the end of this year the 360 will have more Japanese-style RPGs here than the other two (Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey).

I got my 360 back in yesterday and had a chance to play the Blue Dragon demo. I thought it was pretty good. The areas were a bit wide open, which kind of made them seem somewhat barren, but there were also tighter areas with more scenery that I felt came off well.

It's pretty clear that the demo is just a way to thrust all of its ideas at you at once. You're already like level 20, you seem to have moves you'd normally not even have at that level and you have tons of field skills. I can't see characters normally having all of this stuff because it essentially makes the battles incredibly easy. I think they just wanted people to mess around and try every thing out.

Seems like it'll be a pretty straightforward RPG, but considering the system only has one of those, I don't think it's a terrible thing.

The battles are very entertaining though. The use of camera angles and such is pretty much perfected there.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: August 07, 2007, 12:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Lycanthroat;4116

Have you seen the jumping animation in Oblivion? It's hilarious.

I didn't really care about it that much. It's the same thing with a lot of FPSs. If you looked at someone else jump, they go into the air without any other movment. So that jump didn't come as a surprise to me, as it does have a first person view.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
 « Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »
Quote from: Tony;4127

Personally, I love my 360, but if you're looking for turnbased RPGs of any sort none of the newer systems are worthwhile yet. The oddest thing is that by the end of this year the 360 will have more Japanese-style RPGs here than the other two (Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Lost Odyssey).

Seems like it'll be a pretty straightforward RPG, but considering the system only has one of those, I don't think it's a terrible thing.

The battles are very entertaining though. The use of camera angles and such is pretty much perfected there.

Yeah, the 360 does have the most RPGs at the moment. I don't have a next gen yet (if I do, I'll prolly get a PS3 when it's much cheaper) because of the lack of RPGs. Oblivion and Enchanted Arms are the only next gen RPGs I've seen on the shelves yet - both on the game whore that is the PS3 and the 360. I read the 360 is still not doing well in Japan yet.

Good point. I can't help but feel a bit disappointed though.

Yes, I've seen some battle screens. The main seems to have the blue dragon mimicking his moves behind him and everytime a character has their turn a giant portrait showing their face pops up. It looked quite nice, but the detail on the faces seemed a bit...minimal. I haven't seen a video of a battle yet though. One of my friends who owns a 360 is mad on Blue Dragon though (has the soundtrack on all the time) so when it comes out I'll watch him play it.

Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: August 07, 2007, 05:33:12 PM »
Elder Scrolls is garbage.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: