DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:05:15 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nocturne language (Read 8450 times)
Priam

View Profile Email
Priam phones it in,
 « on: June 28, 2007, 10:41:45 AM »
So I got to thinking, it would be pretty cool to see some tattoos of the kanji for the Reasons. I tried looking them up, to minimal success--I found one for Yosuga that looked about right by the translation, I found one for Shijima that looked like it was just an alternate reading of the kanji 'ten' meaning "heaven," and Musubi I have had no luck in finding.

Anyone have the Japanese game, or screenshots, or Japanese knowledge enough to enlighten?

Priam has 5 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 02:49:41 PM »
Quote from: Priam;3297
So I got to thinking, it would be pretty cool to see some tattoos of the kanji for the Reasons. I tried looking them up, to minimal success--I found one for Yosuga that looked about right by the translation, I found one for Shijima that looked like it was just an alternate reading of the kanji 'ten' meaning "heaven," and Musubi I have had no luck in finding.

Anyone have the Japanese game, or screenshots, or Japanese knowledge enough to enlighten?

Tattoos of Kanji are ridiculously cliché. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, they used Katakana for the reason names, rather than Kanji, so there are no official, "Atlus-endorsed" Kanji.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Priam

View Profile Email
Priam phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »
It's true that tats of kanji are cliche, but it's also true that most people who get kanji tats have not done the research on the meanings and just pick something that is pretty. Also, katakana? That's...odd. But good to know!

Shinogu

View Profile Email
Shinogu phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 06:49:40 PM »
If the Japanese NOCTURNE soundtrack is any indication, then the Reason names are indeed in Katakana. Got that from their track names.

Shinogu has 2 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
octarineblues

View Profile Email
octarineblues phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 11:59:19 AM »
If the Japanese Wikipedia page is to be believed, the kanji would be the following:

Yosuga: 縁
Shijima: 静寂
Musubi: 結

These make a decent bit of sense to me, although I'd probably go with 黙 for Shijima, myself.  It has the same meaning as the compound given above, can be read the same way, and isn't a compound.  Probably worth noting that all of these kanji, including the two-character compound for Shijima, have other, much, much more common readings, so it's entirely probable that unless the person reading them is a reasonably well-educated Japanese speaker and a huge Nocturne fan, they'll assign them different readings.  But yeah, if you're looking for kanji for the Kotowari, those should be the ones you want.  Also, just in case you need the kanji for Kotowari, it's 理.

octarineblues has 1 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Priam

View Profile Email
Priam phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 07:43:33 PM »
You, sir, are awesome. Thanks!

Pages: [1] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: