DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:03:47 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Persona 3 U.S. Press Release and Details (Read 140119 times)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »
Quote from: Tony;2851
I'm still going to ask them about it whenever I bother to get around to an interview.

If you ever interview Atlus USA, ask them why they hired such a mediocre "graphics" designer. Atlus USA localized games have some of the most terribly designed box designs and logos -- like something done by some 14-year-old who just learned how to use Photoshop, the only thing missing is the abuse of lens flare. A good example is the terrible Kuzunoha Raidou logo.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #31 on: April 27, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »
Quote from: Heat;2856
If you ever interview Atlus USA, ask them why they hired such a mediocre "graphics" designer. Atlus USA localized games have some of the most terribly designed box designs and logos -- like something done by some 14-year-old who just learned how to use Photoshop, the only thing missing is the abuse of lens flare. A good example is the terrible Kuzunoha Raidou logo.

And why dont you propose something better then!!!

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #32 on: April 27, 2007, 10:33:09 PM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;2858

Jesus Christ, are you ever going to come up with some decent arguments, or are you going to retort every post with some goddamn school yard logic?

Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #33 on: April 27, 2007, 10:56:17 PM »
Meh, I don't mind the boxes so much.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 11:16:32 PM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;2858

LOL This is great.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Avalon

View Profile Email
Avalon phones it in,
 « Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 11:29:49 PM »
Quote from: Heat;2856
If you ever interview Atlus USA, ask them why they hired such a mediocre "graphics" designer.

How come your the first person who has brought this up? I think a lot of people appreciate how use the original box art for the most part instead of butchering with the inclusion of CG models and such (see Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Valkyrie Profile 2).

The current Persona 3 box art logo just SUCKS though. I better be just a placeholder.

EDIT: On second thought, I do remember the Devil Summoner logo really sucking. They changed it up on the final box art though I believe.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2007, 12:19:52 AM by Avalon »

Avalon has 21 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #36 on: April 28, 2007, 11:21:16 AM »
They did change the Devil Summoner text, it was something else previously. That old text is actually still on their press site. What they wound up with is much better.

Persona 3's, at least what's on EBGames, right now, certainly isn't that spectacular. The background artwork itself is absolutely fine, but essentially they took the logo and added a red glow to it. That pentagram logo is totally superfluous and, if anything, should be made FAR smaller and stuck in the corner (if not ditched entirely). On a whole, it's all just too big.

I'm really not of the opinion that there are gamers out there that will see that pentagram logo and instantly want to buy Persona 3. These people mostly know about it already.

Honestly, though, in general (excluding this box art, in particular) their box arts haven't really been any worse than any other company out there.  I can spot the Photoshop filters too, but you can spot them (and other free fonts sometimes) on covers from many, many companies. I personally have no real problem with them most of the time, but again, this one is particularly bad lol. I don't personally agree that Devil Summoner's sucked (compared to what else is out there, especially), although you could argue that it's way too cluttered at the bottom due to all the branding attached.

In any case, EBGames and Gamestop are quick to label: "All images are Temporary and are not considered final artwork." Personally, I think there's a strong chance that these are going to change and are up there just to be up. People are more likely to pay attention to an item with an image attached. As little as some may like Atlus's previous artwork, I think it's pretty clear that this was a five minute edit.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Shadowsithe

View Profile Email
Shadowsithe phones it in,
 « Reply #37 on: May 09, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm not buying it for the box. It could be worse. I'm buying it to support the brand, so that hopefully we'll see more.

Shadowsithe has 6 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #38 on: May 09, 2007, 05:46:33 PM »
Quote from: Avalon;2862
How come your the first person who has brought this up? I think a lot of people appreciate how use the original box art for the most part instead of butchering with the inclusion of CG models and such (see Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Valkyrie Profile 2).

I may be the only person who brought it up here, but I'm not the only person who thinks this. I know several people who think Atlus USA games have shitty box designs. The fonts they use are terrible -- they're these really mediocre freeware fonts that the guy probably pulled off of DaFont.com after spending only 5 minutes looking. Look at the Shin Megami Tensei 3 box design and the Digital Devil Saga box designs, both have "SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI" stretched on top of the logo, and it looks like shit. I don't even think the guy is a graphics designer, but rather, probably some random Atlus USA staff member who happened to have Photoshop, so he volunteered. He's an amateur who doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Boxes should look good, because they're a representation of the game. It's like clothes. Most people want to wear things that look good -- it should be the same thing with box designs.

aoritsuki

View Profile Email
aoritsuki phones it in,
 « Reply #39 on: May 09, 2007, 11:15:38 PM »
I agree with Heat and fearing more for the P3 box art after I saw the front page for the US version of the P3 website today:

http://www.atlus.com/persona3/

Oh dear god, I hope they're not seriously going to use the pink.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:18:40 PM by aoritsuki »

aoritsuki has 8 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 12:04:54 PM »
One thing I noticed was that the Disgaea box art's title actually used a free version of a font that was designed for the film Dark Crystal lol.

This pink is hideous, though. Like I said, I don't think Atlus's boxes in general are any worse than most of what's out there... but if they go this route, it's going to look just plain awful.

I mean, as it stands, they have at least three pretty damn nice pieces of artwork to use, the logo is available... this glow just isn't necessary.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Gouto-Douji
Assassin

View Profile Email
Gouto-Douji phones it in,
 « Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there an official release date for Persona 3?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to go off topic.

Those who believe in God are foolish. Those who do not are reckless.

Gouto-Douji has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »
Quote from: Gouto-Douji;2904
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but is there an official release date for Persona 3?

I'm sorry, I don't mean to go off topic.

I guess is somewhere around July, that´s what other people say, but I heard that the date was July 27, but I´m not sure.

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 09:23:27 PM »
Makes you wonder,what moron gave the OK to use a pink glow around the logo... ....when it doesn't even fit the other colors around it.

But I would have to agree,the outer glow is just...not necessary.

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Oni-Kagura
You know, that one guy.

View Profile Email
Oni-Kagura phones it in,
 « Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 12:48:12 AM »
Quote from: Emilio Morales;2905
I guess is somewhere around July, that´s what other people say, but I heard that the date was July 27, but I´m not sure.

I've heard July 27th, as well.

Also, I'm glad to see that the 'goodies' won't just be available through pre-order. I pre-ordered Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin just one day late and missed out on all the awesome stuff that came with it.

Also, I can't wait to get my hand on the OST. I loved Nocturne's and the DDS games' to death, up until they were stolen. I really need to replace them from Atlus.com one of these days, but I keep procrastinating.frown

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
 - Jules de Gaultier

Oni-Kagura has 35 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: