DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:39:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing the Snow Queen Quest on U.S Persona? (Read 19702 times)
The13thChyld
The Androgyne

View Profile Email
The13thChyld
The13thChyld phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 05:44:16 PM »
Quote from: yksehtniycul;7045
I wonder why the SQQ wasn't translated. It just doesn't make any sense to not hire on someone to do it unless parts of it seemed too risque for whatever fucked up reason to someone. Or were no-save dungeons too mind blowing for the 32bit generation?

The most commonly accepted excuse is that Atlus wanted to get the game on store shelves in time for the christmas rush.

A couple of tiny bits of the SQQ were translated, at least one boss name, and one of the cut scenes.

As far as "risque" elements, of course there was the Toro transformation scene/"fight". That could easily have been edited out, and even then, there are a few cases of nipples and penises to be found completely uncensored on Sebec quest demons.

Personally, I doubt it had anything to do with difficulty. Time constraints and/or simple laziness would seem to be most probable.

Life is like an illusion, like a dream waiting to be awakened.

The13thChyld has 41 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 09:51:53 PM »
I couldn't imagine something being cut out like that. Translation wise time equals money, so the only real excuse is SQQ wasn't expected to sell more units, so it was skimped on.

Still seems like so little text in turn for double plus gameplay, not to mention posterity. I can't remember for anything if Revelations was translated faithfully or if text that seemed to fit with the pictures was just inserted.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:42 AM »
Well, recently while experimenting with various disc images with both versions of the game I discovered the opening dialogs to be actually fairly similar. The major differences seem to be cosmetic but they obviously gave everyone English-sounding names and omitted certain details, like Ayase being a "ko-gal troublemaker" and so forth.  I haven't played extensively since all the discs I burned inevitably freeze after leaving the Hospital so I can't really say for sure.  I would imagine they had to be at least a little faithful to the plot.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: March 14, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
Quote from: DevilRy;7054
I would imagine they had to be at least a little faithful to the plot.

You might think, but there is basically two prevailing philosophies when it comes to localization. Most localizations I've encountered regretibly tend to just string along the pictures.  I couldn't tell you if this is done because the original dialog is considerate less than suitable, or if its because the people localizing it don't even attempt to translate/perhaps are barely able to do so.

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: