DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:04:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina (Read 23272 times)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 06:55:33 PM »
Did anyone watch O'Reilly Factor? (Omg, yes I watch his little show.) There was some lady saying the reason Bush didn't want to help was because he was racist or something? o_O;

Then there was something about it not being Bush's fault because the governor(I think it was someone...or maybe it could be the governor) of Louisiana didn't want help from anyone so she's pretty much responsible for all the people starving and dying in the city...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 06:58:51 PM by Argilla »

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 07:01:28 PM »
It has nothing to do with race -- Bush is just an idiot, and apparently, so is the person who said it involved race. When it comes right down to it, "race" is an excuse a lot of people use -- it's really stupid, and it's something people generally use as an argument when they can't come up with anything better.

And, I think I saw that clip where that person was whining about race. Also, another thing I read was Canada not being allowed to provide aid or something. I'd actually say something about that, but I really don't know the details...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 07:13:18 PM by Heat »

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kaysper

View Profile Email
Kaysper phones it in,
 « Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 09:23:21 PM »
To my knowledge, it's not just Canada.  The States has been refusing help from every nation that offers it; this includes Germany and France, who if they aren't buddy-buddy with the U.S, aren't doing this so they can say that the States "owes" them several years down the line.

BUT.  The U.S is refusing medical supplies, vehicles, food, water, or any type of help other then cash.  The government will always politely accept cash.
It rubs my skin the wrong way that a person who is holding an office that *should* reflect the decisions and choices of the U.S citizens is acting in such a...A manner that contradicts what a lot of people want.  Maybe places like Venezuela or the like, there is good reason for it.  But why turn down help from friendly nations like central Europe, and have more people die because of it?  I don't really understand the thought proccess behind such a decision.

I'm going to make a very cynical, and most certainly unpatriotic remark now.  If Bush is killed by an angry, unstable, grief stricken, vengeful, etc. hurricane survivor, I'm not going to be very surprised after the initial shock has worn off.  Presidents and government officers have been killed over much less.

This also common knowledge, but the mandatory evacuation has now become forced.  Here's to hoping there aren't any more critical screw ups, or they're kept to a minimum.

-EDIT-
Well, it looks like after roughly a week from the disaster, the State Department is finally asking for and accepting international aid, from select countries.  Whoopty-fucking-doo.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 09:38:04 PM by Kaysper »

Kaysper has 10 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 11:05:49 PM »
Quote from: Kaysper
If Bush is killed by an angry, unstable, grief stricken, vengeful, etc. hurricane survivor, I'm not going to be very surprised after the initial shock has worn off.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to happen. I think he's going to live a long life. Unless he chokes on another pretzel.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Cho

View Profile Email
Cho phones it in,
 « Reply #19 on: September 08, 2005, 11:56:42 PM »
Then there was something about it not being Bush's fault because the governor(I think it was someone...or maybe it could be the governor) of Louisiana didn't want help from anyone so she's pretty much responsible for all the people starving and dying in the city...

The Daily Show pointed out that they Federal Government can't just go in and take over unless its in a vegetative state (in reference to the whole Schiavo thing).

It has nothing to do with race -- Bush is just an idiot, and apparently, so is the person who said it involved race. When it comes right down to it, "race" is an excuse a lot of people use -- it's really stupid, and it's something people generally use as an argument when they can't come up with anything better.

Well, it actually seems to be more about the people being poor, if any kind of bias is going on.

Cho has 59 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Soulless_Beast
Tragic Idiot.

View Profile Email
furious_st
Soulless_Beast phones it in,
 « Reply #20 on: September 14, 2005, 07:52:39 PM »
"When a wiseman dies he'll be missed and sorely needed. When an idiot is born they seemingly live forever."-me
 As far as 'katrina' is concerned I've donated through my the local grocery stores, my Mother's church and my school. The Lafayette branch of my school was hit so we're all doing what we can. Last thing. This would be funny though: If that damned battery on his little transceiver went out and he was left to look like the dumbass that we know him to be.

Pandas on the storm.... Pandas on the storm.... Into this house we roam. Then to the streets we run. When the peeps aren't having fun it's to us they first shall come. Pandas on the storm... YEAH!

Soulless_Beast has 101 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Soulless_Beast
Tragic Idiot.

View Profile Email
furious_st
 « Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 07:53:49 PM »
"When a wiseman dies he'll be missed and sorely needed. When an idiot is born they seemingly live forever."-me
 As far as 'katrina' is concerned I've donated through my the local grocery stores, my Mother's church and my school. The Lafayette branch of my school was hit so we're all doing what we can. Last thing. This would be funny though: If that damned battery on his little transceiver went out in the middle of one of his speeches and he was left to look like the dumbass that we know him to be.

Pandas on the storm.... Pandas on the storm.... Into this house we roam. Then to the streets we run. When the peeps aren't having fun it's to us they first shall come. Pandas on the storm... YEAH!

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #22 on: September 15, 2005, 11:22:32 AM »
I think the whole race thing has been overblown. A majority of the people in that area apparently were black, but I don't know that Bush would have acted any differently in any other situation. A lot of it, right now, stems from the fact that a good portion supporters of the man and his policies are going on and on about how the area deserved this hurricane thanks to all of its "sin" and so forth. I am sure a lot of it is racist.

For example, evacuees were told to cross this bridge into neighboring Gretna to escape the chaos. The Police Chief there told his deputees to keep black people out and anyone accompanied by them. They shot at them, kept them back, etc, all so these people couldn't taint their suburbs. There's several articles about it floating around, although for some reason it hasn't been talked about anywhere as much as it should be.

As for the Governor, there was actually word from the Administration that she never declared the state a disaster area, which was later proven to be a lie. I notice that they're very heavily trying to pin this inaction on other things rather than squarely where it belongs. Bush taking "responsibility" is meaningless right now when he just mouths the words, but then does nothing to rectify the situation. Sending money over wasn't thanks to anything he did; it was Congress. Meanwhile, the administration, again, is using no-bid contracts through FEMA while dealing with all of this... much like with Iraq and Halliburton, but not quite as major. More of his friends get the money and weird policies have been instituted to lower pay and other options for the actual workers.

It's all just really weird and really disgusting. Should the Governor have acted more? Sure. But there's a reason this guy is the damn President. Simple logic puts the President over the Governor. Everyone knew what was going to happen, the money for levees went to the war and any Class 3+ hurricane would have busted them, there were several days before it hit that everyone knew it was going to that area, etc. Instead the President fishes and bikes.

Going to Arizona and spending twenty minutes linking Iraq's purpose to that of World War II on the freaking day this is happening is just bizarre and disgusting. There's no link. There was an understanding back then that there should be a common sacrifice among the whole population for that war; more taxes, more work, more whatever. Today the only sacrifice is blood on the altar for a muddy cause: send the middle and lower classes to die for a muddy, vague cause that the administration keeps changing the purpose of (Bin Laden, Al Quida, Saddam, Terrorism... now it's some sort of protecting oil reserves thing). Taxes haven't been raised meaning people in my age bracket will be paying for it., little has been accomplished, the last draft of the constitution puts Islam at the front effectively making women a lower class, even the guy in charge of Iraq wants our troops to start leaving depite the fact that we're "helping" them, etc.

As for O'Rielly, I cannot watch that tripe. Him and Limbaugh need to go away. Limbaugh, for example, is convinced that Cindy Sheenan's story of her dead son has been made up by some sort of crazy anti-war movement and never happened. When will they look at a poll and see that something like 60%+ disapprove of what is going on?

Further polls show that around the same amount disapprove of the President's reaction to the hurricane and 70% want a probe. I'm glad most of this country isn't completely oblivious to reality.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Soulless_Beast
Tragic Idiot.

View Profile Email
furious_st
 « Reply #23 on: September 15, 2005, 12:44:37 PM »
Sorry to say Tony,
But depending on which side of the 'spectrum' you're born on race has a lot to do with it. But an even more insightful approach would be to rule out race and attribute his lackluster response to 'class'. Quoting Crhistopher Titus "Okay people, I'd just like to set the record straight. It didn't have any thing to do with Bush not liking black people ok. It had everything to do with him not liking POOR people."

Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 01:53:45 PM »
Yeah, I can see that. I can't claim to have direct experience with racism against me... at least not to any big enough level to cause me real alarm. Still, that whole situation with Gretna is really sad and apparently more about it starting to break out as time goes on. I think that's one of the worst things I've read about direct reactions to it all.

I thought this might be of interest to some people: http://www.realcities.com/mld/krwashington/12637172.htm

It basically explains that the guy in charge of Homeland Security actively delayed federal response to the problem. He had the ability to send things in before the storm and seemingly just took his time. I don't really understand why. He didn't appoint Brown to be in charge of these things until two days after the disaster and even the Brown had limited abilities by comparison.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Soulless_Beast
Tragic Idiot.

View Profile Email
furious_st
 « Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 09:07:09 AM »
Sometimes we can't rely on the Government. The quote goes "We the people." and a lot of us need to realize that now more than ever.

Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 04:05:23 AM »
Hurricane Rita at category 5...D:

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kaysper

View Profile Email
Kaysper phones it in,
 « Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 11:59:41 AM »
And Rita is still expected to  make landfall between Galveston and Corpus Christi.  ((Around Saturday, I think?))

The gulf coast can't catch a break right now; to say nothing of all its citizens.

Kaysper has 10 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: