DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:45:58 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Katrina (Read 23274 times)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « on: September 01, 2005, 10:23:22 PM »
I can't believe a topic on this hasn't started. Though I can see why because what happened just plain out sucked. ;_; Does anyone have any family and friends in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or Florida?

My mom's sister and her family live down in Mississippi(which I heard is completely wiped out). I'm hoping that her and her family are ok. My mom is just praying for a call or e-mail from the family. My dad gave the Navy their names hoping to find out if they're alright. :\ I have friends in Louisiana and Florida(heard it didn't get hit so bad) so I hoping they are doing alright as well.

Hopefully things over there will get better soon. Anyone planning to help? My family and I will be donating money. I hope people here help out as well.

"I'll grab the stars if you want them..."

Argilla has 291 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kaysper

View Profile Email
Kaysper phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 12:16:25 AM »
Yeah, I'm doing my best to lend some help.  I don't have much in the way of money to give out ((and not nearly as much as during the Winter Tsunami disaster.  *sigh*)) but I'm still sending what I can to the relief funds.

From what I last heard, a mandatory evacuation for New Orleans and counties around it was issued about a day before the hurricane made landfall.  I hope that everyone's families got out when they heard that.
I've heard about some estimate of the damage, how bad the flooding is, and I've seen some webcam footage from a news copter.  At first I thought, "okay, it can't be too bad, can it?"  And right now, the only words that come to mind when I think of the amount of damage are too coarse to type out.
What scares me is that there have been reports and warnings about this sort of flooding disaster for years; the estimate that I heard from my old science class when I was a junior in high school almost mirrored the flood report.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 12:35:53 AM by Kaysper »

Kaysper has 10 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: September 02, 2005, 06:16:23 AM »
Hmm, if anyone is interested:
There's this, if anyone wants to read.

Not sure how relevant you'll find that. Hope your friends and family are doing alright, Argilla. Let's positive thinking, huh?

« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 06:25:25 AM by Heat »

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Naomi
Lonely

View Profile Email
Angelic_Naomi@hotmail.com Arielg03
Naomi phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: September 02, 2005, 03:13:57 PM »
My school is trying to get donations. I'll help donate. My mom's family is down in Louisana but not New Orleans.

Yay I have DDS2 and the Soundtrack!

Naomi has 37 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2005, 05:58:02 PM »
I'm glad some people will be helping out. Naomi, I hope your mom's family is ok. Have you guys had any luck getting in contact with them?

Yea, I also heard that they tried to evacuate everyone before things got really serious. Though some chose to stay...I find that very ignorant. If you are told to go as far as to evacuate the city/state, then I think you should take that chance. A lot of things after Katrina has passed have been horrible to: the rapes, killings, people dying of starvation....and also the people who are trapped because of the water...

And yea, I think some already knew that something like this would happen to New Orleans. (The city was built under sea-level right?)

Parasite
Shining Force ftw!

View Profile WWW Email
ParasiteMT@gmail.com COTMFreak parasitemt
Parasite phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 08:00:48 PM »
I heard about the rapes and other such things, I think it's horrible to do at a time like this.  Especially since a lot of people are already feeling the terrible effects of Katrina.

All my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that are in those areas mentioned.  And Argilla and Naomi, I hope your family/friends are okay.

And yes the city is under the sea-level.

Parasite has 65 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: September 03, 2005, 04:53:21 AM »
What I don't mind is the people taking the food from the stores(if I was starving, I sure as hell would). Everything else is just...it shouldn't be happening.

Thanks, we still haven't gotten in contact with them but I guess that's to be expected since what happened. *sighs*

Naomi
Lonely

View Profile Email
Naomi phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 07:58:29 PM »
But the problem with looting it that they could break into a cash register and steal the money. The police don't want that. But I agree with you Argilla. They can't just let the people starve to death. They though that the people would go to the astrodome( even since there isn't enough space now)but not now. I heard they are stopping some people from coming in. What are the people going to do now?

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 08:51:42 PM »
They (the government -- whatever) weren't (aren't?) handling the situation as they should. Instead, they were fucking around like morons -- resulting in probably more deaths and various other problems. I had more to say, but I don't think anyone really cares.

Quote from: George Bush
The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch
People are dead, and he's rambling about Lott's loss of his house? Oh man, you can always rely on Bush to say something so hilariously stupid and insensitive.

Argilla
the family's best

View Profile WWW Email
xharu@hotmail.com
Argilla phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: September 04, 2005, 05:01:07 AM »
I hope these people realize that food is much more important then money at this time. D: I just talked to a friend and she has friends down in Louisiana...I'm just hoping for the best right now. *sighs*

I'm not even going to comment on Bush. Despite his speeches are sometimes a laugh...

Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: September 04, 2005, 05:03:48 AM »
Quote from: Argilla
I'm not even going to comment on Bush. Despite his speeches are sometimes a laugh...

Only 3 more years!

Naomi
Lonely

View Profile Email
Naomi phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2005, 11:31:45 PM »
Good. I can't wait.

Cho

View Profile Email
Cho phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 12:45:15 AM »
Actually, I live in Alabama. But neither my hometown nor the University were hit hard. We have evacuees here at the Rec Center.

From what I last heard, a mandatory evacuation for New Orleans and counties around it was issued about a day before the hurricane made landfall.

Well, you have to understand that when everyone tries to leave, it causes a giant gridlock. Many people just weren't able to leave. Many people are under the impression of "Oh, we've been through hurricanes before, their strength is always exaggerated so we don't have much to worry about so we're going to stay and ride it out."

They (the government -- whatever) weren't (aren't?) handling the situation as they should. Instead, they were fucking around like morons -- resulting in probably more deaths and various other problems. I had more to say, but I don't think anyone really cares.

Indeed. The President staying on vacation during the hurricane and for like, 2 days after it hit, having all air traffic halted while he visited and delivered an "inspirational" speech (HEY GEE DUBYA PEOPLE NEED AIR LIFTS OUT AND NEED SUPPLIES DELIVERED SO THEY CAN, Y'KNOW, LIVE).

This interview made me angry and sad.

Cho has 59 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kaysper

View Profile Email
Kaysper phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 09:07:41 PM »
This interview made me angry and sad

Insane.  And not good news at all.   While I wanted to get some sort of information about the situation of the people left behind, and the various levels of action the government is taking, I can't say that I'm too happy about what I've found out after reading through that.

Also, thanks for the LJ link, Heat.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:21:21 PM by Kaysper »

Kaysper has 10 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 01:01:22 PM »
There's a lot of messed up things there thanks to government issues. For one, the levees haven't been properly fixed and mantained because funding for that purpose has been dramatically cut. That money went to the current war. It seems unlikely that they would have broken had they been kept up how they had been for years upon years before hand.

In addition to this, general hurricane funding for the area had been cut dramatically in a very short period of time. This occured despite the fact that meteorologists had been warning as early as 2001 could devestate that area (in fact, the US administration got a freaking memo on it that year). Plus, a lot of the necessary equipment and workforce is in Iraq.

Then, of course, we have a President who feels a need to take month long vacations knowing full well that we're in a war of his design with an upcoming, undoubtedly catastrophic event. Thank god he cut the vacation two days short!! Although part of that was spent giving speeches that spent 20 minutes comparing Iraq to WWII and about two on the hurricane. I don't know how many people heard how Homeland Security wouldn't let Canadian trucks down with aid. Lot of good that did.

Now he "cares". Now we're sending aid. Any other person with a few brain cells would have adequately prepared for this hurricane by sending the right things and money over. It didn't come out of freaking nowhere. The fact that so many people are making it seem like it did drives me crazy. We  acted far too late and it's been far worse than it had to be.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: