DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:35:44 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS or PSP (Read 74976 times)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #75 on: August 08, 2007, 05:40:25 PM »
I still gotta play Y's book of 1 and 2 for TG-16

Himuro has 151 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #76 on: August 08, 2007, 05:48:23 PM »
They're releasing Rune Factory: A Fantasy RPG for the DS on the same day P3 comes out, it's a Hack and Slash game with Harvest Moon's farming and marriage system. A lot of HM fans say it's really good.

Also a sequel to the main series (BTN, AWL, etc) is coming out in February, with  new characters and is set on an island.

http://www.natsume.com/graphics/e32006/E307.pdf

I'm a fan of the HM series as well, and I'm going to get a DS lite in the future to play those games as well.

Ys has terrible loading times on the PSP, if you get it I highly recommend playing it from the memory stick.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #77 on: August 08, 2007, 07:25:38 PM »
From my experience people who say psp is "shit" are Nintendo fanboys and if that's the case, I usually don't even bother because there's no reasoning with a Nintendo fanboy.

I get just as sick of this response -- it seems that it is just a convient excuse to dismiss people who are interested in the DS.

I desperately wanted another handheld outside of a Nintendo produced one to succeed in the past. I owned a Lynx, GG, and NGPC (and a Wonderswan after I purchased a GBA) before I ever bought a Nintendo handheld. I love 2-D titles. To me, the Gameboy Advance and DS were the last bastions for traditional sprite driven 2-D. Sure there are some that pop up on consoles, but they are far and few between. I might also add I was not interested in the DS in the least when it launched, but there is a reason why Nintendo handhelds do so well outside of what you see as pure fanboyism. They are quality machines. The machine with the best specs doesn't always win, especially in the world of handhelds.

Nintendo also builds quality hardware for the most part. I am extremely careful and protective of my junk. I purchased my PSP brand new, and it had severe issues crashing and locking up from the get go. I also worked at GS during the PSP launch and saw numerous units returned and exchanged. The PSP unit feels rickety in my hands and it bugs the hell out of me. You can call the DS gimmicky, but the PSP employs just as many 'gimmicks' to attract sales.

Many people on my course say the DS is brilliant and the PSP is shite. But guess what? They all own PSPs.

Or most people you know that own PSPs also own DS units. See how that works both ways? I would think you would rather they own both to make a proper assessment.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Lycanthroat
Hewn from Diet Coke

FemaleView Profile Email
Lycanthroat phones it in,
 « Reply #78 on: August 08, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »
There's no way I could afford the two latest handhelds. The PSP retails at £150 and the DS at £100. I am NOT spending near £300 on bloody handhelds. For me, it was either one or the other and the PSP is what interested me most as a RPG player. My PSP has never broken and never stalled even though I've dropped it twice (it has a slight crack on the bottom of the faceplate, but naught else).

Although I have heard of games/consoles having problems in America and Japan, but when they are released in Europe there's not really any problems. I think the PS2 and original X-Box had issues but the DS and PSP didn't. Over here, neither one is doing better than the other (I think).

There's two people - both second years - on my course that own a PSP and a DS. One likes the DS for all the manga/anime fight em ups (the Shonen Jump one with Light, Ichigo etc) whilst he plays the PSP purely for Monster Hunter. There's something of a huge Monster Hunter thing going on there, with about 20 people - combined from all the years - playing it because of the multi-player aspect (myself included - I've racked up 600 hours on the damn thing). Think of it as Warcraft on PSP.

Asking them which one is better is a little pointless - obviously they like both because they spent the money on them. They prolly just play them for different reasons - PSP for RPGs (he plays Profile) and multiplayer and the DS for the Japanese games (he imports them and he can read Japanese, I believe).

Lycanthroat has 128 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
aerozero

View Profile
aerozero phones it in,
 « Reply #79 on: August 08, 2007, 10:09:07 PM »
Monster Hunter needs infrastructure mode.

aerozero has 264 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #80 on: August 10, 2007, 12:30:10 AM »
I've had my PSP for a while, near the release date actually. Haven't had a single problem with it. So far, I've only bought a few games, as I'm not too huge on hand helds. I did actually buy a DS when it came out, but was so bored with it I ended up returning it within the span of a week. That's why I never say things like "The PSP ownz teh DS" since I haven't played with the DS enough.

But other than that, the PSP has been great. I seriously hope that more great games come out for it. I only played a few, and read about some other good ones. I actually have had my eye on a few PSP titles for a while, but the console games got my money first.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Jack_frostFTW

View Profile Email
Jack_frostFTW phones it in,
 « Reply #81 on: August 10, 2007, 04:45:49 AM »
The fact is that while sony may have the hardware the DS has the games.

Especially the kind of unusual japanese games like Trauma centre and Phheonix Wright.

I dont have the right to say which is the better as I only own a DS but ive never regretted my purchase

Jack_frostFTW has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #82 on: August 10, 2007, 09:56:02 AM »
Phoenix Wright isn't that unusual. It takes the standard point and click adventure game format and makes 9999 x the trial and error.

lipucd

View Profile Email
lipucd phones it in,
 « Reply #83 on: August 11, 2007, 10:50:43 PM »
Quote from: Himuro;4324
Phoenix Wright isn't that unusual. It takes the standard point and click adventure game format and makes 9999 x the trial and error.

Can't agree 100% with that...with quite a few cases I already knew where everdence was going to fit it and immdetly saw ways to advance the game...Tell the truth, at times its almost as if they trow the answer in your face as if you couldn't figue it out yourself! ;-;

Though as far as DS vs. PSP goes...one has major gaming advatage with Wi-Fi, sigle cart play, and an option for better immerson then just pressing a few buttons....Though PSP has shown us some NICE visurals and it becomes a mp3 player on the go when gamings too combersome.

Each has its place, and due to the game base both boast its hard to call one "Better" then another without getting into the technology that drives both...but to do that for a system isn't the best jugdement...( Jaguar and 32x are grand examples of this...powerful systems for there times...yet realy bad gaming support killed them both. )

lipucd has 16 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Himuro

View Profile Email
Himuro phones it in,
 « Reply #84 on: August 12, 2007, 12:12:25 AM »
I love PW, but my biggest problem with is that it feels so linear compared to other adventure games. Like, I can't do something unless the game has come to the point where it'll let me present it.

Oh man I love PW. I wanna replay them both before 3 comes out.

lipucd

View Profile Email
lipucd phones it in,
 « Reply #85 on: August 12, 2007, 12:29:42 AM »
Yes...I do know what you mean! XD
Case 3 in the first one was like that to the end...you KNOW how it works out, yet you have to take a REALY odd way to convince the judge...;-;

At least it gets partly better later on as far as story progression goes...But ya...VERY linear compared to say Myst, Clock Tower, or my fav Sam & Max. Then again its one of the few to foucs on the charaters of the story then the plot so its a interesting change of pase...But in all honestly it could be a digital grafic noval and be slightly better. XD

lipucd has 16 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Sepherest

View Profile Email
Sepherest phones it in,
 « Reply #86 on: August 15, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »
Right now I have a DS. It's blue and one of the old chunky versions.
I like it because of all the different types of games that are on it, and that I can also  play my old GBA games like Fire Emblem and Lunar on it.
 I don't think I'm going to get a PSP, but I do like the fact that it has Parappa the Rappa and Darkstalkers. it's just that most of the games on it are pretty low-qual besides some puzzle games and RPG's that are being released on it.

Sepherest has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Neao

MaleView Profile Email
Neao phones it in,
 « Reply #87 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
Quote from: Sepherest;4563
it's just that most of the games on it are pretty low-qual besides some puzzle games and RPG's that are being released on it.

I wouldn't go right to saying that. Daxter, Syphon Filter, MGS: PO, Tekken, Rachet and Clank, Killzone, GTA (I find these games boring, but they aren't low quality), Socom, Megaman. The list goes on, just go find a list of all the PSP titles out right now.

Although it isn't as big as the DS, the PSP still has a good amount of good quality games. Although I wouldn't have fun with most of them, I can be sure that they aren't low quality(I rented a few and they were pretty cool). So easily dismissing the PSP like that, saying it only has puzzle and RPGs, isn't correct. If I didn't have console games that I was more interested in, my PSP collection would easily be much larger.

Neao has 177 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Ashura Dakana

View Profile Email
Ashura Dakana phones it in,
 « Reply #88 on: February 02, 2008, 05:59:08 PM »
well ive got both

but in the end of the day ill say this. they're both good at doing what they do. PSP is the big motherload of entertainment and gaming, and the nintendo DS is the fun interactive console. the PSP has on its side 3d gaming, videos, and things youd expect from a media player. the DS has got 2 screens (i know, state the obvious), which allow interactivity into games.

people may say that ones better than the other, but i dont share that oppinion. after all, you could never do, say, metal gear solid portable ops on the DS, but you could never have trauma centre on the PSP. they both do different things. and yes the PSP can do more, but thats why its got a higher price tag, and as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Ashura Dakana has 11 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Thanatos
The Blesser of Death

View Profile WWW Email
Thanatos phones it in,
 « Reply #89 on: February 25, 2008, 02:42:46 AM »
I have a psp, I always bring it with me whenever I leave my house. It's right in front of me. I have SHO in right now.

Thanatos has 16 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: