DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:41:19 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DS or PSP (Read 74974 times)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « on: August 27, 2005, 09:31:42 PM »
I've noticed a lot of people have been buying a DS or PSP lately -- anyone here own either one of these, or are thinking about buying one of them? What are your thoughts on them? Which one do you want, or seems more appealing?

For me, I'm more interested in PSP -- it just seems more appealing -- a lot of extra features that kind of make it seem a lot more worthwhile. Both handhelds, from what I've seen, are really lacking when it comes to games, and I haven't really read of any future releases that seem to be worthwhile. DS has that Stylus, which honestly feels like it'd be more of an annoyance -- something I'd rather not bother with. DS is going to have that RE1 remake, but I've read a bit about it, and, as per usual, it seems like it'll be a lot more annoying than it's actually worth.

So, yeah, ultimately, I'd go with the PSP. It just seems that Sony has served me a lot better than Nintendo ever has, and thus, I'm more inclined to trust Sony. Though, if I could, I'd probably buy both, just for the hell of it. Though, as I said, both really seem to be lacking games, so, I'm not sure if either would be worth it. At least, not now, but maybe in the future (early to mid- next year, possibly.)

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Early Archer
Crystalline water

View Profile Email
Early Archer phones it in,
 « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 09:04:01 PM »
The ultimate factor for buying any console are the games. Example: Xbox has higher capabilites, still most ppl has PS2. But I have to agree with you, PSP seems much more appealing.

May fortune be with you.

Early Archer has 93 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Parasite
Shining Force ftw!

View Profile WWW Email
ParasiteMT@gmail.com COTMFreak parasitemt
Parasite phones it in,
 « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 10:00:13 PM »
Well, it's not really hard for me to go with the Nintendo DS.  For one, most of the games on PSP aren't really my type of games.  Second, Nintendo has been making handhelds for a lot longer than Sony has, so I trust them more when choosing handhelds.  I'd also say, I perfer innovation over features, especially when it comes to the Nintendo DS.  It's fun how game developers are making games for the DS and using the stylus in different ways.

No, I'm not going to include the prices of the system in my decision.  I could have easily gone off and bought a PSP if I wanted to, but I didn't want to.  And I don't really hate Sony either.  Because like I said, I like them better for their consoles.

So all in all, I'm going to have to say the Nintendo DS is a better choice.  But then again, I'd buy both if I could.  Most likely for the same reason Heat has said, just for the hell of it.

Parasite has 65 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Heat
Devil Buster

View Profile
Heat phones it in,
 « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 01:58:49 AM »
Quote from: Parasite
Second, Nintendo has been making handhelds for a lot longer than Sony has, so I trust them more when choosing handhelds.

Eh. Nintendo may have more experience, but when it comes to games, they've really been lacking -- at least, I think so. Pretty much all of the games I've wanted to play have been on a Sony system, and the games I did want to play that were on a Nintendo console wound up... Sucking. I think the last game on a Nintendo console I actually enjoyed was Harvest Moon 64 for the Nintendo 64. And was in 1999. So, I choose Sony generally because they've had the best line-ups. Though, as I've mentioned, neither handhelds have many games at the moment, and the ones they do have are games I'm not really interested in.

I think the only reason I'd be interested in DS is the new Harvest Moon and Shin Megami Tensei games that are supposedly going to be released. But, I'm definitely not going to buy a DS just for those games -- I bought a GameCube for 2 games that were to come out, and they were both disappointing. I also bought a GBASP, but games were impossible to see without the backlight on, which ate up a bit of battery power, that, and the damn things are so small -- I utlimately wound up just emulating GBA games, heh.

Heat has 394 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Tony
"Evil is good. Evil is the job."
Retired Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
Tony phones it in,
 « Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 10:05:55 AM »
I have a DS, but I've played a PSP plenty of times because my brother has one. It largely just came down to me having the money when the DS came out and not having it when the PSP came out.

I have no use for the PSP's other functions. I have a great MP3 player already and I'd fill up any Memory Stick I could afford in a second (not to mention the battery life would be an issue). I'm not concerned with viewing photos either.

Game wise, it just depends. The PSP has probably around six games I'd say I would be really interested in having (Lumines, Hot Shots Golf, Wipeout Pure, Ridge Racers, etc), so I don't think it's lacking in already released stuff. However, it's pretty clear that there's not much of interest coming out for it in the US for quite some time. It's been in a very long lull and according to literally every website and magazine I've read that has to do with games, it had an insanely disappointing E3 showing as well. That's compared to the DS which apparently had a very strong showing... much to my surprise.

Nintendo has had some issues with "great" games as of late, I agree. However, I can't say that issue has really carried over to the handheld format quite as badly (well, aside from something like Mario Pinball, which was outside developed). I have about six games on my DS that I really enjoy and there's actually a few more out now I'd like to get (Advance Wars DS for one) and several others coming out this year that I'm interested in.

So, like with anything, it's really just what's coming out that catches your attention. I'm sure I'll be buying a PSP someday, but as of right now I'm very happy with the DS. I don't really feel a need to compare them in a "versus" format because, in many ways, I feel they're doing different things.

For me personally, the main draw for the PSP is the emulation possibilities(although strangely the SNES emulator for DS apparently works better right now; not that I have the proper cart stuff to use it lol). The NES apparently works great already and the others are getting better as time goes on. PSP firmware updates are an issue, but they're always gotten around eventually.

Don't forget to check out the main site at http://www.digitaldevildb.com
I also have a new site upcoming: http://www.attackofthepowerbrick.com

Tony has 485 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
holinger_Z

View Profile Email
holinger_Z phones it in,
 « Reply #5 on: November 07, 2005, 08:04:50 PM »
I have a DS, and I love it. I guess the reason I bought it originally was that Atlus has a Shin Megami Tensei DS game in the works, plus it's region free.

holinger_Z has 2 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
LilithSlave

View Profile Email
LilithSlave phones it in,
 « Reply #6 on: December 25, 2005, 08:13:50 AM »
I have both. But to tell you the truth, I barely touch my PSP. I take my DS everywhere. There is just so many things that make the DS better. It focuses on games not on useless iPod-ish extras. Trauma Center rox!

LilithSlave has 4 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Gouto-Douji
Assassin

View Profile Email
Gouto-Douji phones it in,
 « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 11:53:05 AM »
I also have both, and i agree completely. PSP is dead sexy, but if you want great games, the DS is where its at...as for portables anyways, i'm still a PS2 kind of guy.

Those who believe in God are foolish. Those who do not are reckless.

Gouto-Douji has 18 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Digital Apocalypse

View Profile Email
Digital Apocalypse phones it in,
 « Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 07:54:29 AM »
I'll pick the PSP over the DS because of the various multi media features and the future release of Jewel Summoner...

CLOSE THE WORLD OPEN THE NEXT

Deaths vastness holds no peace.
I come at the end of the long road--neither human nor devil....
All bends to my will.

Digital Apocalypse has 14 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Oni-Kagura
You know, that one guy.

View Profile Email
Oni-Kagura phones it in,
 « Reply #9 on: March 03, 2007, 08:12:45 PM »
Even though it has some great games, the PSP is the "Retarded kid at Wal-Mart that you can't laugh at because he has a giant dad behind him" of the video game world.

Sony has just done so many things to make the PSP unappealing to me...most of all, they treated it like a home console over a hand-held. When I look at hand-held gaming, I'm really looking for something cheap but fun to tide me over when I'm not at home. The DS does this perfectly, with a $150 console and $30-40 games as opposed to PSP's $200-$300 console and $40-50 games.

Then there was the whole Lik-Sang situation, which really turned me off from Sony.

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
 - Jules de Gaultier

Oni-Kagura has 35 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #10 on: March 03, 2007, 10:38:12 PM »
I'll definitely have to go with the DS.

The only real complaint I have with the DS is that not enough developers are utilizing it's unique features very well. It seems like too many games are merely GBA titles with a few DS features tacked on. More games like Feel the Magic, Trace Memory, and Hotel Dusk, please. Games that just cannot be done on another platform. I'm not saying everything has to be that way, but more than what we have would be nice.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
RE_horror

View Profile Email
RE_horror phones it in,
 « Reply #11 on: March 03, 2007, 11:21:58 PM »
Have to agree with Sayck here, DS has more good games than PSP right now, and a lot of it are good titles: SRW W, Trauma Center, Contact...

RE_horror has 32 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Fenrir
Cherubim

View Profile Email
Fenrir phones it in,
 « Reply #12 on: March 11, 2007, 05:06:17 PM »
I think that nowadays, there is a trend to shift over to innvation rather than graphics, and that may be why the DS is doing so well. This is good, becuase I have a DS and I'm pleased at the great selection of games.

Fenrir has 25 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Kakizaki
Hikaru's wingman

View Profile Email
Kakizaki phones it in,
 « Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 06:10:24 PM »
DS. The damned PSP feels like it is going to bust everytime I use it.

Kakizaki has 312 Posts (+12/-0 Karma)
Stack Bundles
too dark to see tomorrow

View Profile Email
Stack Bundles phones it in,
 « Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »
The d-pad on the DS is garbage, BTW.

[INDENT]Sunset glazed...[/INDENT]

Stack Bundles has 189 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: