DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:33:55 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IS english patch! (Read 161057 times)
Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #195 on: October 29, 2008, 01:55:50 AM »
There is no hard mode. Well, I'm not complaining...   smile
But it's somewhat strange to play an easy game made by Atlus. I just remembered "Shin Megami Tensei 1".... Brrr...

Aleph has 35 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #196 on: October 29, 2008, 10:26:12 AM »
That's funny... I've never played these games (for long) but I've always presumed, based on the way players characterize them, they were much more difficult than than the original SMT titles.

SMT required thought unlike some games, but it was still possible to totally crush it's neck under your boot. Even at low levels you can lay to waste most of the bosses within three rounds. And the only strategic challenge was the option to venture into areas 3x over your level biggrin

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:27:52 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #197 on: October 30, 2008, 02:09:00 AM »
Finished the game yesterday. Nice ending... I don't think they are more difficult. Persona E.P. might be more difficult than SMT 2, but SMT 1 is beyond frustrating. And it's not about bosses in SMT 1. It's about those normal encounters through the game. You encounter demons almost every second through the whole game and they are somehow always at higher levels than you are. I actually see no point in setting the difficulty so high. I must admit I also had problems with Nocturne. I choose hard difficulty for my first playthrough. Again, the normal bosses were nothing special. But some of the normal encounters and one of those Riders... Uggghhh.
Have you played SMT 1? I don't know if it's me being spoiled by really easy Square RPG's or was it my incompetence, but SMT 1 is the Nr.1 on my "don't ever play this game again" list.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:10:50 AM by Aleph »

Aleph has 35 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #198 on: October 30, 2008, 03:01:11 AM »
It's very easy to run from fights in SMT1. If you don't you're generally gonna out-level enemies unless you're walking into an area out of order (in which case you'll soon level up and do so)

I sympathize with anyone playing CD versions of the game as the battles tend to be soooo slow, but the cart versions are zippedy quick in auto dispatch mode. I assume most players would emulate it these days. I never had any trouble, but my play style is a bit idiosyncratic versus say the character building tips you're likely to find in a guide.

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #199 on: October 30, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
I dunno, the PS1 version of "If..." is insanely fast.  You even walk through corridors at near mach speeds.

With the Super Famicom era SMTs it seemed like it was all about the Luck stat.  Higher luck meant an easier time escaping from battle, better contact results, cheaper items in stores, it's a clear choice.  It makes you more reliant on your nakama but the positive always outweighed the negative, like your lower attack and defensive stats.

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #200 on: October 30, 2008, 08:09:57 PM »
I always went with zero body stat (save for incense)

speed... luck... atk... int... in that order (the heroines magic stat kept her pts down some but otherwise the same)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 08:11:35 PM by yksehtniycul »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: