DIGITAL_DEVIL_DATABASE Community Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:01:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

News: 2011: http://www.digitaldevildb.com/bbs/index.php/topic,1031.msg10894.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IS english patch! (Read 160999 times)
Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #150 on: October 02, 2008, 02:33:45 AM »
Than, just say so.  smile You should have said  November 15. th. and than release it earlier. You would make the people even more happy. Just take all the time you need and polish the thing. And ignore those trolls.

Aleph has 35 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
Being the most important can't be seen in the eyes
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #151 on: October 02, 2008, 03:32:01 AM »
I'm ambivalent as I've already played and beaten Tsumi, but...

I think the best thing is just to accept that it won't be released until Gemini decides he wants to finish it (and get it beta tested of course).

Just be patient.  The English-speaking community has waited almost a decade now, what's a few more months compared to all that time?  hearton

DevilRy has 435 Posts (+23/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
don't play with me 'cause you're playing with fire
yksehtniycul phones it in,
 « Reply #152 on: October 02, 2008, 03:50:55 AM »
I'm by no means an "otaku", but it always beats me that people could be so into a particular culture's exports and not take the time to learn enough of the local language to play their games even. Seems like some of us just gotta see something in English. Not disparaging Gemeni's efforts, but the Megaten community was playing games in Japanese before the Persona generation kids were crawling out of their diapers smokin

Besides, I've yet to see an RPG so deep it couldn't be performed entirely in pantomime rainbow

« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 04:01:56 AM by yksehtniycul »

yksehtniycul has 2094 Posts (+0/-0 Karma)
DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #153 on: October 02, 2008, 04:12:38 AM »
It never made sense to me either.  And then I get called a "wap fanboy" just because I play games in Japanese.  I'm not the one shelling out hundreds for crappy collectible figurines and artbooks and other assorted accoutrement...  rolleyes

Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #154 on: October 02, 2008, 06:39:12 AM »
Just wait a minute yksehtniycul, it's not easy to learn a foreign language. I speak three languages. My native language, a foreign language which I speak fluently and without accent, and english which I speak so-so. I can tell you one thing, in order to use a language properly, you have to speak it. Many people (including myself) are not in the position to speak or write that language. You simply have no contact at all with that particular language. Maybe you don't have the time to learn it. Sure, you could take the dictionary and crack it open every time you play japanese games, but that would be like deciphering the hieroglyphs. It would kill all the fun and after beating the game you would be very happy. Not because you beat the game, but because the torture would be finally over. After all, the japanese language uses completely different scripts. And learning a language just because of videogames...
I must say I'm not so much of a Persona fan but I understand all the fans waiting for the translation to be done. After all, it's best it happened this way. The people are getting original audio with subtitles. The official Atlus version would be dubbed.
But there is one thing I wanted to ask you yksehtniycul. How difficult is the japanese language? How long would it take to learn the language before you could speak it without embarrassing yourself? And do they still use a lot of Kanji today?  I've heard that most things today are written in Hirakana and Katakana.

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #155 on: October 02, 2008, 07:33:52 AM »
Well there is a big diff between speaking/writing Japanese and playing video games. Also there is a diff between learning a new branch of language versus just learning another Romance language for example.

It took me very little time to get enough Japanese under my belt to play thru all the classic Megaten games without ever getting stuck when I was quite young. It's surprisingly easy to be able to grope your way through a Japanese game in my experience. You quickly pickup which words are indicators of actual required information and what is just idle filler. It's pretty easy to tell what is going on as well. You might not enjoy it on a Shakespearean level, though I've yet to hear of a game that is exactly Shakespearean razz

It can seem a lot more "Shakespearean" however if you use your imagination a little to fill in the blanks wink

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #156 on: October 02, 2008, 07:17:16 PM »
I must say I'm not so much of a Persona fan but I understand all the fans waiting for the translation to be done. After all, it's best it happened this way. The people are getting original audio with subtitles. The official Atlus version would be dubbed.
But there is one thing I wanted to ask you yksehtniycul. How difficult is the japanese language? How long would it take to learn the language before you could speak it without embarrassing yourself? And do they still use a lot of Kanji today?  I've heard that most things today are written in Hiragana and Katakana.

My spoken Japanese is rather poor (mostly because I don't practice) but my reading and comprehension skills are a lot better.  It comes mostly from playing games in Japanese.  You already know three other languages which puts you at an advantage already.

Kanji is still widely in use in Japan.  In the olden days of the Famicom and Super Famicom, there often wasn't enough space on the cartridge to include the several thousand kanji character set.  With the CD and DVD generation of games it became less of an issue.  It does seem dauntingly unfamiliar at first but I promise it gets really easy over time, especially if you immerse yourself in it.  It may seem dorky to learn a foreign language sheerly for entertainment, but personally I enjoy the challenge.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 12:13:51 AM by DevilRy »

yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #157 on: October 03, 2008, 01:12:51 AM »
Japanese would be a much more valuable language if the place wasn't so isolated. But at any rate, I gotta warn you. I still have a hard time playing the oldschool games without kanji. Which is why I always play remakes if they exist (the one thing remakes tend to have in common is kanji)

Some kana only games have spaces, but it's still a nightmare if you ask me. Much easier to learn kanji than pick words out of a sea of kana.

Then there are the games with consonant modifiers (ditto marks) in their own character spot. That's just painful on the eyes dazed

« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 01:14:33 AM by yksehtniycul »

Gemini

View Profile WWW Email
Gemini phones it in,
 « Reply #158 on: October 10, 2008, 01:08:01 AM »
Some kana only games have spaces, but it's still a nightmare if you ask me. Much easier to learn kanji than pick words out of a sea of kana.
I so agree with you on this. Although it's a nightmare when they use too many kanji, even those that NOBODY would ever write. Persona is a perfect example of that. I was so surprised when I saw one of Lisa's dialogues using "takusan" in kanji.

Gemini has 38 Posts (+10/-0 Karma)
yksehtniycul
The Karma King and
New Administrator

MaleView Profile WWW
 « Reply #159 on: October 10, 2008, 11:15:23 AM »
沢山 

That's one of those words that looks so bizarre you know it can't mean what you might guess biggrin

I just know kanji more or less... not vocab! At least I can use a dictionary pretty easily.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 11:17:24 AM by yksehtniycul »

DevilRy
陽神デビッライ

MaleView Profile
DevilRy phones it in,
 « Reply #160 on: October 10, 2008, 02:59:14 PM »
That's why I've always found kanji to be pretty confusing context-wise.  I mean how does the kanji for "swamp," and "mountain," mean "a lot," when put together? ...

Then there's the whole Japanese counting system.  face15

« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 03:30:58 PM by DevilRy »

Aleph
Ahsiaor...

MaleView Profile
I dreamt music...
Aleph phones it in,
 « Reply #161 on: October 15, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »
People, the patch is finished. Congratulations to Tom and Gemini!

http://tsumi.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/all-is-lost/#more-641

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 12:30:23 AM by Aleph »

Emilio Morales
Lone Wolf

MaleView Profile WWW Email
personauser@hotmail.com
俺たちには大切の友達ある。
Emilio Morales phones it in,
 « Reply #162 on: October 15, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »
Finally!! Congratulations to both Gemini and Tom! They've made something memorial for ALL the Megaten community! This one is for the records. Now, the only thing I need, is time to play Innocent Sin. xd

Signature under construction 'cause the last one died.
10,000 Punishments for a Sin

Emilio Morales has 1133 Posts (+25/-0 Karma)
Kandori
Lost Soul

View Profile
Kandori phones it in,
 « Reply #163 on: October 15, 2008, 11:42:28 AM »
I eat every single letter i wrote a year ago (that it was a lost cause). Yeah there....in my face sucka !

I humbly bow to the noble king who proved me dead wrong.
Won't you forgive this lost soul oh great one..?

Kandori has 19 Posts (+13/-0 Karma)
Enid
Sadistic Desire

View Profile
Enid phones it in,
 « Reply #164 on: October 15, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »
Well I've given it a try,starting off good...and right when I made it to my first dungeon,the game froze,heh.

I figured out what it was,so now I'm still going on.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 06:06:51 PM by Enid »

Enid has 272 Posts (+11/-0 Karma)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: